• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- AE First Avenue: this would be my suggestion for something a bit dressier than the HM, but still great with denim.

Have black first aves and looking forward to gettin em some time this fall. Great boot.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Problem always is that sourcing a high end shoe in the US has little options. What shoe company would he be able to go to and get his design accomplished? AE probably not, then he would be stuck with an AE last and AE construction methods. Spain and Portugal have some really good factories that can accomplish the task but they are usually full to capacity. 30 years ago China made plastic bags that were just stretched over a last and they looked every bit like that. But now, China can provide some really good work with the least amount of initial investment from the designer. He probably found an existing last that he liked in a factory that does the work he wants with the capacity to do the work. He is sending raw inputs from Europe and America to make the shoe. If there was an American factory with the capacity he could probably be somewhat price competitive here. I have found this problem first hand in other industries.
I have a few shoebank specials. I like some of them better than my AE firsts.
I have had good luck with ShoeBank shoes, only 1 pair was really obvious why they were 2nds, and that was years ago. I agree with you in that I like some of them better than my firsts.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In violation of SF-AE's proscriptions about black, I've got several pair of black boots:

- Red Wing Iron Ranger: casual, workboot-like; the Caen is a slightly more elegant reinterpretation (which I've been ogling in black suede)

- Wolverine 1000-mile: lighter build than Red Wing, also pretty casual; mine are mostly around-the-house work boots

- Red Wing Ice Cutter: monsters, but warm and grippy

- AE HM: my latest purchase

- AE First Avenue: this would be my suggestion for something a bit dressier than the HM, but still great with denim.
Black Dalton?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In violation of SF-AE's proscriptions about black, I've got several pair of black boots:

- Red Wing Iron Ranger: casual, workboot-like; the Caen is a slightly more elegant reinterpretation (which I've been ogling in black suede)

- Wolverine 1000-mile: lighter build than Red Wing, also pretty casual; mine are mostly around-the-house work boots

- Red Wing Ice Cutter: monsters, but warm and grippy

- AE HM: my latest purchase

HM in black are a nice boot, but I like the HM, which is why I have all colors. I, also, have been eyeing the Caen in Black (have the Dark Taupe) another good more casual boot is the Normandy. First Ave is by far dressier, and a good boot.

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For anyone that owns a pair of Strandmoks, did you take the same size as those as you did in a pair of Strands or McAllisters? Since the Strandmok had a poron insole, I'm wondering if I need to account for that at all. I wear a 10.5E in Strands and McAllisters, and the v-gap is usually as wide as I would be comfortable with. I'm think the poron would only exacerbate that issue and I may need to go wider in the Strandmoks to account for it.
Thinking these were the same as the Strands 65 last, I took my normal size 12D. @Roycru had written how the shoe tongue was sloppy, and boy was he right! I found the overall construction of my snuff suede pair to be very sub-par. They were very loose, the tongue was not anchored, and the nature of the soles with the poor suede gave it a fit that never stayed put. Others have had good luck with theirs.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting out the week w/my MTO'd Brown shell Bradleys:
rQFZnjd.jpg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is the likely driving factor but was wondering if there was more to the story as China made shoes are the antithesis of Alden

Net: I honestly don't think it is the beginning or end of the story, just a detail. More below for those interested.

Spoilered since it really isn't my intention to make this a commercial, and I don't know the full story. The owner studied shoemaking under DW Frommer, and his dad and grandfather worked for Alden for many years. The latter just retired from there after 60 years.

The sense I get was that he (and possibly his father, who is also involved in the business) worked in China in the industry and decided to do something a little different. Very careful and methodical about new designs, leathers, etc., and the quality has been outstanding for me. Clicking, stitching and execution overall have all been superb. The styling is generally more casual-leaning than Alden (boots are made to accommodate leather laces, more informal leathers for the most part, styling cues/details that are more rustic, etc.). I've got three pairs (wearing my first today in fact), and they're all easily as good or better than any of my 11 pairs of Aldens. Execution/stitching/etc. are all outstanding. Leather is terrific - my brown CXL Ottawa boots have seen the most wear of any single pair I own over the last year and they still look fantastic - no loose grain at all and virtually no creasing (just a small bit of roll almost like shell):
dEkmVRr.jpg

(That was taken a few weeks ago - I have dozens of wears and a lot of miles on these things). As-worn today:
eyCz1En.jpg

Anyway, while I'm a big fan of the Higgins Mill, especially at sale prices, it isn't at the level of the GS stuff in terms of details and finish. Heck, two-thirds of my Aldens aren't...

I understand folks who want to focus on MiUSA, but if you're open to footwear from beyond our shores, a fear of low-quality is not a reason to avoid these guys at all and I think they represent an outstanding value. My $0.02. Apologies for the long semi-rant. ;)[/quote]

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
64AF2BEB-4BB7-49ED-A760-0AB58DF8BF76.jpeg
Had a Sunday wedding yesterday, so I went with the walnut Cornwallis with my navy suit.

In hindsight I think I’d like a pair of dark chili Cornwallis shoes better for this use, but Walnut works! Ignore the scuffed toe, this was taken back at the hotel after the wedding.

I should also mention these were from dabondo1 a couple years ago, got them for ~$100 maybe.

[special cameo by my brown Maritimes]

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Net: I honestly don't think it is the beginning or end of the story, just a detail. More below for those interested.

Spoilered since it really isn't my intention to make this a commercial, and I don't know the full story. The owner studied shoemaking under DW Frommer, and his dad and grandfather worked for Alden for many years. The latter just retired from there after 60 years.

The sense I get was that he (and possibly his father, who is also involved in the business) worked in China in the industry and decided to do something a little different. Very careful and methodical about new designs, leathers, etc., and the quality has been outstanding for me. The styling is generally more casual-leaning than Alden (boots are made to accommodate leather laces, more informal leathers for the most part, styling cues/details that are more rustic, etc.). I've got three pairs (wearing my first today in fact), and they're all easily as good or better than any of my 11 pairs of Aldens. Execution/stitching/etc. are all outstanding. Leather is terrific - my brown CXL Ottawa boots have seen the most wear of any single pair I own over the last year and they still look fantastic - no loose grain at all and virtually no creasing (just a small bit of roll almost like shell):
dEkmVRr.jpg

(That was taken a few weeks ago - I have dozens of wears and a lot of miles on these things). As-worn today:
eyCz1En.jpg

Anyway, while I'm a big fan of the Higgins Mill, especially at sale prices, it isn't at the level of the GS stuff in terms of details and finish. Heck, two-thirds of my Aldens aren't...

I understand folks who want to focus on MiUSA, but if you're open to footwear from beyond our shores, a fear of low-quality is not a reason to avoid these guys at all and I think they represent an outstanding value. My $0.02. Apologies for the long semi-rant. ;)
[/QUOTE]

I own a pair of GS shoes and can definitely attest to the idea that the quality is a step above AE and on par with any Aldens I own.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The sense I get was that he (and possibly his father, who is also involved in the business) worked in China in the industry and decided to do something a little different. Very careful and methodical about new designs, leathers, etc., and the quality has been outstanding for me. The styling is generally more casual-leaning than Alden (boots are made to accommodate leather laces, more informal leathers for the most part, styling cues/details that are more rustic, etc.). I've got three pairs (wearing my first today in fact), and they're all easily as good or better than any of my 11 pairs of Aldens. Execution/stitching/etc. are all outstanding. Leather is terrific - my brown CXL Ottawa boots have seen the most wear of any single pair I own over the last year and they still look fantastic - no loose grain at all and virtually no creasing (just a small bit of roll almost like shell):
dEkmVRr.jpg

eyCz1En.jpg

I understand folks who want to focus on MiUSA, but if you're open to footwear from beyond our shores, a fear of low-quality is not a reason to avoid these guys at all and I think they represent an outstanding value. My $0.02. Apologies for the long semi-rant. ;)
[/QUOTE]
Those do look nice.......

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@coolarrow, I like that brown shell. Burgundy for me on a Monday.

IMG_2366.jpg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He probably found an existing last that he liked in a factory that does the work he wants with the capacity to do the work.

They developed their own last (and they have another in the final stages of development for an oxford). Lots of folks on Reddit say it is a copy of Barrie, but as the owner of nine pairs of Barrie-lasted shoes and three on Grant Stone's "Leo" last, I can tell you they are different (though sizing is going to be the same for 95% of people) - Leo is a little tapered/supportive at the midfoot where Barrie is a little more open, and open/rounded at the toe where Barrie is a little more tapered. There's a bit of vintage Florsheim Imperial at the toe, but the midfoot has made it an outstanding stomping shoe. I've had 15-mile days with no discomfort.

He's also on-site at the factory most of the time.

(there's an Affiliate thread here for them - suggest moving more conversation/questions there)

I

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For fans of local weather reports with pictures of shoes, it's going to be around 100F here today and tomorrow.

Wearing the nameless shoes I call "Surfer Eaters", based the opinions of some in this group that the saddle parts are shark.

P1100240 2.JPG

Others in this group think the saddle parts are kudu. If I ever find out for sure the saddle parts are kudu, will call these shoes "Rangers" based on the line from "Home On The Range", "Where the deer and the antelope play", since a kudu is a type of antelope and there already are A-E shoes called "Players".

While on the subjects of animals, some say "monkey see, monkey do". Having seen pictures others have posted of brass eyelets added to A-E shoes, am thinking of having brass eyelets added to these shoes.

Connoisseurs of A-E laces might notice these shoes now have the same laces that come with the Carlyles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics