• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bradley in shell will be my next acquisition. I was thinking that I want the brown but that burgundy is going to make it a difficult choice. Hoping I don't have to shell out for the MTO on the brown (GMTO anyone?), which may make a slight difference. That's a shoe I could see owning in brown, burgundy and black.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bradley in shell will be my next acquisition. I was thinking that I want the brown but that burgundy is going to make it a difficult choice. Hoping I don't have to shell out for the MTO on the brown (GMTO anyone?), which may make a slight difference. That's a shoe I could see owning in brown, burgundy and black.

I believe the only choice at the moment for the Bradley is burgundy. No brown or black. So anything other than burgundy would have to be some type of special order and that means extra $$$.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 862896 Had a Sunday wedding yesterday, so I went with the walnut Cornwallis with my navy suit.

In hindsight I think I’d like a pair of dark chili Cornwallis shoes better for this use, but Walnut works! Ignore the scuffed toe, this was taken back at the hotel after the wedding.

I should also mention these were from dabondo1 a couple years ago, got them for ~$100 maybe.

[special cameo by my brown Maritimes]
Looks great in Walnut.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
McT Monday, paired with (super cheap) Gap chinos in dark olive.
2017-10-23 12.42.54 (1).jpg
2017-10-23 12.43.44.jpg

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dang it. Just found that the grey color of the LL Bean cords came back in my size and ordered them. Looks like those grey J Crew cords are going back. I'll probably ditch the Gap version too and just make do.

Bad news: I'm making myself dizzy with the pace of acquisitions and returns.

Good news: Now I just have to collect one more color.

McT Monday, paired with (super cheap) Gap chinos in dark olive.
View attachment 862988
View attachment 862987

Love those shoes. Bummed I missed out on those.

I have recently tried a pair of Gap 100% cotton chinos. They were huge on me plus the material had some sort of slub effect or something that I didn't care for, so it was an easy decision to return. What model are yours?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dang it. Just found that the grey color of the LL Bean cords came back in my size and ordered them. Looks like those grey J Crew cords are going back. I'll probably ditch the Gap version too and just make do.

Bad news: I'm making myself dizzy with the pace of acquisitions and returns.

Good news: Now I just have to collect one more color.

Love those shoes. Bummed I missed out on those.

I have recently tried a pair of Gap 100% cotton chinos. They were huge on me plus the material had some sort of slub effect or something that I didn't care for, so it was an easy decision to return. What model are yours?
The good news is great shoes make everything better.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What model are yours?

They are Vintage wash skinny fit khakis (stretch). With 3 or 4 stackable codes, they came out to ~$20. I don't mind the fit at all. They are much more of a slim than skinny. Waist could be a tad higher for my preference. My issue is the material shows marks almost instantly - like the kind you get if you iron over the pocket material. Only this comes from the pressure of things in your pockets, like my keys and money clip.

Edit: As far as the fit from Gap and/or Banana - vanity sizing at it's finest.

Are they that orange in person, because if so they are killer.

Thanks. I'd say they are pretty orange, but with a bunch of patina. Not as bright as the orange Maritime or the Strandmok (or whatever the analogous casual wingtip was called). They are darker in real life than this florescent light office shot shows. The combo of light welt and green pants might be playing some tricks on my phone's camera.
2017-10-23 13.09.46 (1).jpg

RitchieBro

Reaction score
UPDATE....I wiped out every single pair of burgundy shell Patriots and Randolph’s in my size they had in Factory seconds in the Port Washington warehouse! LOL wait till all these boxes show up at the house. Just imagine the raised eyebrows from the wife.....

eagleman

Reaction score
For fans of local weather reports with pictures of shoes, it's going to be around 100F here today and tomorrow.

Wearing the nameless shoes I call "Surfer Eaters", based the opinions of some in this group that the saddle parts are shark.

View attachment 862946

Others in this group think the saddle parts are kudu. If I ever find out for sure the saddle parts are kudu, will call these shoes "Rangers" based on the line from "Home On The Range", "Where the deer and the antelope play", since a kudu is a type of antelope and there already are A-E shoes called "Players".

While on the subjects of animals, some say "monkey see, monkey do". Having seen pictures others have posted of brass eyelets added to A-E shoes, am thinking of having brass eyelets added to these shoes.

Connoisseurs of A-E laces might notice these shoes now have the same laces that come with the Carlyles.

I have the same Surfer Eaters and I would love to see what brass eyelets look like added. I have had them since the 70’s and I still have the original soles on them. If and when I ever need new soles, I’m considering Dainite soles for them.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Net: I honestly don't think it is the beginning or end of the story, just a detail. More below for those interested.

Spoilered since it really isn't my intention to make this a commercial, and I don't know the full story. The owner studied shoemaking under DW Frommer, and his dad and grandfather worked for Alden for many years. The latter just retired from there after 60 years.

The sense I get was that he (and possibly his father, who is also involved in the business) worked in China in the industry and decided to do something a little different. Very careful and methodical about new designs, leathers, etc., and the quality has been outstanding for me. The styling is generally more casual-leaning than Alden (boots are made to accommodate leather laces, more informal leathers for the most part, styling cues/details that are more rustic, etc.). I've got three pairs (wearing my first today in fact), and they're all easily as good or better than any of my 11 pairs of Aldens. Execution/stitching/etc. are all outstanding. Leather is terrific - my brown CXL Ottawa boots have seen the most wear of any single pair I own over the last year and they still look fantastic - no loose grain at all and virtually no creasing (just a small bit of roll almost like shell):
dEkmVRr.jpg

(That was taken a few weeks ago - I have dozens of wears and a lot of miles on these things). As-worn today:
eyCz1En.jpg

Anyway, while I'm a big fan of the Higgins Mill, especially at sale prices, it isn't at the level of the GS stuff in terms of details and finish. Heck, two-thirds of my Aldens aren't...

I understand folks who want to focus on MiUSA, but if you're open to footwear from beyond our shores, a fear of low-quality is not a reason to avoid these guys at all and I think they represent an outstanding value. My $0.02. Apologies for the long semi-rant. ;)
[/QUOTE]
Well said Sir.

Wharf Rat

Reaction score
Higgins Mills for today. Overall fantastic, but I sometimes have problems with the tongues sliding off laterally. I've heard of others having the same trouble, but has anyone found a good solution? I'd really hate to cut slits in the tongue. Perhaps stitching the tongue to the facing?

IMG_0194.JPG

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Higgins Mills for today. Overall fantastic, but I sometimes have problems with the tongues sliding off laterally. I've heard of others having the same trouble, but has anyone found a good solution? I'd really hate to cut slits in the tongue. Perhaps stitching the tongue to the facing?

View attachment 863049
Have the same issue with the tongues on my HM's, oddly of the 3 pair I have only the Brown and the Black do this.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
UPDATE....I wiped out every single pair of burgundy shell Patriots and Randolph’s in my size they had in Factory seconds in the Port Washington warehouse! LOL wait till all these boxes show up at the house. Just imagine the raised eyebrows from the wife.....
You are just buying shoes so you will look good when you take her out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads