• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

feeble

Reaction score
It's not listed on the website, but shoe care accessories are also 15% off for the anniversary in store. Had to pick up some edge dressing, keep kicking doors :(.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E Harrison listed on eBay right now..

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@peppercorn78 Some really good info - appreciate it. Interesting...you know I thought the Neumora was absolutely killer but I couldn't see myself as a monk guy when it was around - mistake, shouldn't have passed on that. I did try two versions of the Kenilworth - normal and smu with double oak sole. The 3 eye thing had me a little concerned they would bow but they weren't bad, main thing was they seemed like a PA but as a blucher, like too plain-ish.

I'm very familiar with the 108
1f609.png
. The 108 & 222 sort of go hand in hand, and unfortunately I'm one of the few people who love everything about the 222. 4 times out of 5 the 108 just isn't quite right, like there's just too much volume. Mora was like that. The Vernon looks really nice - I'll have to try that if I can get my hands on one. Yeah, the Bradley is definitely excellent but with my wardrobe it just wouldn't get enough use. Thanks for the suggestions - ttyl.

Yeah, I found the 108 problematic too. Too narrow in the toe and high in the instep for me. I know this is here say in the AE thread but:

if you have access to a retailer, I would recommend Alden, Loake, Crockett abd Jones, or Carmina for a proper dress Oxford. It's ok to explore other brands! And there are Americsn retailers who can help you out with these brands. Each of these brands has a variety of last's that are more elegant and universally fitting than the 65 last.

Best of luck!

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For balmoral and Oxford shoes, I prefer makers who use a 270 welt with a closed heel. I just think it looks more refined. My dressier shoes are from Vass, Bonafe, and John Lobb.

I agree; I seem to recall seeing in an older catalog that AE used to use both 270 and 360 welts. Shame that they stopped; I assume for efficiency of process and ease of training new staff.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree; I seem to recall seeing in an older catalog that AE used to use both 270 and 360 welts. Shame that they stopped; I assume for efficiency of process and ease of training new staff.

Historically, it's always been 360 with no shank. That was one of their original selling points: lighter, more flexible shoes without metal shanks.

In the 90s, there was a very short-lived line called the executive collection, or something similar, that used a 270 welt with a plastic shank. I think they couldn't reach good efficiencies and sales, and they were discontinued quickly. @hohneokc was sporting a pair the other day...

Captain Insano

Reaction score
Wearing these again today. Weather will be hot here so no socks and light pants to go with the new Shannon Drive Olive shoes. I got these on Friday and I have already worn them 3 times. :)

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I just received my Warwicks for BB in Dark Chili and while I am a big fan of the color and how these look I'm trying to decide if I should return these to the bank. The buckle on one of the shoes is significantly discolored relative to the other and the leather seems to have 2 dark stain spots (maybe glue?) as shown in the attached pictures. What do you guys think?

Soupy

Reaction score
Happy Merlot Monday, everybody! A combination of bad weather and work circumstances led me to end up skipping most of my AEs last week but hopefully things will get back to normal this week. I sure wish I could upgrade these to a nice Oxblood...

barto78

Reaction score
So I just received my Warwicks for BB in Dark Chili and while I am a big fan of the color and how these look I'm trying to decide if I should return these to the bank. The buckle on one of the shoes is significantly discolored relative to the other and the leather seems to have 2 dark stain spots (maybe glue?) as shown in the attached pictures. What do you guys think?

The small glue stain or discoloration wouldn't bother me that much. The buckle, however, would be a deal breaker for me. I'd send them back or see how difficult it would be to get the buckle replaced.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chili Byrons for a Monday while I await the arrival of new shoes. My answer to all of the Fifth Ave excitement last week.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be hitting the DuPont store in DC a little later today after an appointment at Walter Reed. Need to find sizing info for various models so i know what to get when a deal comes along.... :)

Reaction score
Any Boone Plain Toe suede owners here? Thoughts on them or the 1757 last? They seem like an OK deal at $200 under the current sale.

Soupy

Reaction score
Any Boone Plain Toe suede owners here? Thoughts on them or the 1757 last? They seem like an OK deal at $200 under the current sale.

I second this question. I think the Boone looks like a fun casual shoe but don't know much about it and live much too far from a store to check it out in person.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I second this question. I think the Boone looks like a fun casual shoe but don't know much about it and live much too far from a store to check it out in person.
I'm a fan, picked them up when they were on the introductory offer for ~$150; I'm seriously considering another pair in brown or blue. The new ones don't seem to have piping for some reason, but the suede is great.
The last is a bit blobby, but for a casual suede shoe I don't really mind that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads