• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubya

Reaction score
My local SM said that the first batch of the HMs were really good. Then the next batch (i.e. corresponding to the sale) had extensive problems. Problems that he deemed as "shouldn't even be sold as seconds."

Never helps in the midst of the hassles, but at least AE CS is always willing to take care of us.

AE's customer service is their saving grace, but having to return/exchange multiple pairs over and over again for every different style to get something that is acceptable is wearing my patience thin. Especially now that they are creeping into the price territory of many other shoemakers which put out products with much higher-end finishing.

swigginton

Reaction score
First time poster. I finally upgraded to AEs during the Nordstrom anniversary sale. Love my black park avenues but my dark chili Cornwallis are showing some creases I didn't expect (especially after only 4 wears). In addition to the knuckle there are some small creases into the baroquing on the toe and several along the inside.

Having never paid more than $80 for a pair of shoes before, am I overreacting or is this a valid concern?

Thanks

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE's customer service is their saving grace, but having to return/exchange multiple pairs over and over again for every different style to get something that is acceptable is wearing my patience thin. Especially now that they are creeping into the price territory of many other shoemakers which put out products with much higher-end finishing.

I hear ya. Pretty frustrating to make 3 trips to the post office to return ship defective shoes. This has happened to me on multiple pairs. Nice that AE keep shipping out additional product, but at some point I'd wish they compensated me for the hassles.

FaRKle

Reaction score
First time poster. I finally upgraded to AEs during the Nordstrom anniversary sale. Love my black park avenues but my dark chili Cornwallis are showing some creases I didn't expect (especially after only 4 wears). In addition to the knuckle there are some small creases into the baroquing on the toe and several along the inside.

Having never paid more than $80 for a pair of shoes before, am I overreacting or is this a valid concern?

Thanks

Your creasing is fine. You'll get the same thing on shoes costing much more. The Cornwallis is a beautiful shoe (I'm wearing my shell ones today too)!

As for all the AE QC commentary, AE's done far better than Alden has for me this year... Good luck trying to get them to take back a slightly slanted cap toed shoe.

Wrong Crowd

Reaction score
FYI, lots of new "old" styles are popping up on shoebank. Some of it is the less great stuff, but it's worth a look. Also, I never knew AE made shoes exclusively for the Rack..

Yeah they have several styles like that. I get most of my shoes from diligent thrifting so it's hard for me to tell but the only pair of AEs I've been explicitly told are Rack-only are my black Kenilworths. I think the Sixth Avenues are as well but I've never found a pair of those. I can't find a complete list of Rack-only styles online anywhere, but if anyone has a link to one it would be extremely helpful.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New BB Macneils.

Those look great. Every time I see the BB shoes go on sale for $149 on the Shoebank, I think I should pull the trigger on them. This may have pushed me over the edge.

colco

Reaction score
@donkeyhoatie thank you. I really like how the Macneil makes up in a grained leather (I own the Macneil in brown grain on dainite already) and I prefer this to AE's standard walnut for a more mid to lighter brown shoe. They have the black grain BB Mac's on Shoebank in my size (more or less perpetually) waiting for the next time they drop to scoop them up.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks

Creases or wrinkles across the vamp are to be expected. It can sometimes be more severe in the cases where the leather there has "loose grain" as it appears that your shoes do, though yours don't seem to be an extreme case of this. Fine wrinkles are an indication that your shoes were cut from the best part of the hide; heavier creases are indicative of loose grain. Luck of the draw really and related to AE trying to get as many shoes from a hide as possible. While I would prefer that only the best parts of the hide were used, I also don't want my shoes to be $100+ (guessing here) more than they already cost me.

Here is an example of the really nice leather that my Bourbon Fifth Aves were created with (hope you can see):

Here is an example of the not so nice leather from my Black McGregors (far worse on the left shoe):

Based on my still somewhat limited experience, any creasing elsewhere seems to be related to having extra volume in the shoe. For example, I bought my Merlot Strands (what I now understand to be) a half size too big and I have some creasing along the sides. Hope I'm not way off the mark here, but I don't think I am. I don't have the Strands handy now or else I would post some pictures as examples.

How do those Cornwallis feel to you?

Last edited:

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New BB Macneils.

Quite good looking indeed. I was very much considering these LWBs as my first pair of nice shoes before I even knew that they were really AE MacNeils and when I knew nothing at all about good shoes. Now, I know next to nothing and I still think they're mighty nice. I would still want them except I went with the MacNeil 2.0 in Dark Chili and the BB Chili Grain model would be a bit redundant.

colco

Reaction score
Quite good looking indeed. I was very much considering these LWBs as my first pair of nice shoes before I even knew that they were really AE MacNeils and when I knew nothing at all about good shoes. Now, I know next to nothing and I still think they're mighty nice. I would still want them except I went with the MacNeil 2.0 in Dark Chili and the BB Chili Grain model would be a bit redundant.
Thank you as well. So this is BB's version of Chili? Good to know!

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's the arrival of the autumn weather, maybe it's just changing tastes, but I am beginning to side with those of you who have suggested that I should be looking to pick up a boot or chukka. While I'm not yet sold on the concept of dress boots for myself, I am open to the idea of chukka. The obvious (to me) choice would be the Dundee. From a versatility perspective, I feel it would be between Snuff Suede, Bitter Chocolate Suede and the Brown Grain models. I would appreciate those of you who own these models could throw up some pics of them worn with various trouser options in so that I can evaluate their appearance further. The pics on the website are nice, but I think the bar lacing does not show them at their best. And as always, your opinions on the matter are most welcomed. Thanks!

No love for Loden?

When I got my first Dundee (aloo my first AE), I wanted the Bitter Chocolate. They didn't have any examples in the retail stores but a salesman at one of the NYC locations had a personal pair he shoed me. Its nice, but IMO the Loden and Snuff are nicer and perhaps more versatile.

As for lacing, theres only 3 eyelets, so not a whole lot of options. I over-under and don't think bar-lacing would be very practical. Maybe they just do it on the website for the pictures.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I thought that none of the DR shoes could be recrafted. Now I won't be surprising if someone tells me AE can recraft my Maritimes hahaha.

So I have a pair, they say MiUSA, so does the label on the box, and the box is the regular AE box, not the æ box. Regardless, I'm sure if AE refuses to recraft, a good cobbler can preform a FULL resole.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the tan laces on the brown HM's, but I think I must be the only person on here who doesn't mind the dark brown laces.

I also don't mind the dark brown laces on the brown HMs, but I also find the tan laces more appealing. They really should carry them in the stores. Why is AE refusing to TAKE our money when we're so willing to give it to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads