1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

It looked like rain, so rubber-soled chili Provos from the AE line with AE candy cane laces were today's festive statement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to visit the vet to get Herr Dog's health certificate for holiday travel/flights.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    6 people like this.
  2. swigginton

swigginton Well-Known Member

Maiden McAllisters (well BB wing tips but close enough). Decided I like them enough that they'd be worth breaking in to get past the heel rubbing.

[​IMG]

Holiday party today, went with charcoal slacks (since most of my posts here have been light grey) and now I'm starting to think this ensemble is too dark. Should I have stuck with a lighter color?

[​IMG]

3. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Totally missed these posts. BitJ - did you wind up returning these? Thanks for pointing out they were the Duke platform instead of the Kenwood, big difference. Wanted to add to eliminate the confusion - the BB Duke is MiUSA, the AE Duke was DR. I will say though, I have owned the DR-produced football grain Duke for a while now and still wear it a lot on weekends. Definitely not bad.

Sorry, can't remember if it was you who had asked, but did you see the pics I posted of the Shanley? Little different than the Acheson, available in the darker brown suede (like I got), no contrast tassels.

4. JLC2

JLC2 Senior member

Any of you gents interested in a pair of the olive Shannon Drives from eBay in 9E?

That's my usual 65 size, but I found there to be just a bit too much volume in the 201 blucher....so I have a 9D on the way.

I'm checking here before sending them back, because these are pristine! The is the first pair of AE I've received that have no flaws!

Brand new, complete with plastic bags and tissue stuffing. I'm only asking what I paid ($119).

5. twombles62

twombles62 New Member

I'm definitely new to buying used shoes so I'd like some advice on an ebay listing. Need a good pair of black business shoes and could save a bunch on used.

How are these for a used pair? The upper looks alright, and the soles look good, but the stamp on the inside is completely worn off, indicating heavy wear?

Thanks! Hopefully I haven't given away a steal for someone else in this thread, but I think not.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALLEN-ED...212182?hash=item41b7a97c56:g:nQYAAOSwal5YKCU0

6. bathiel

bathiel Senior member

They are TTS for me, pretty much the same as all the other lasts. But I will say they are very snug. It's a form-fitting boot that can be difficult to get on and off the first couple times. But they are also extremely comfortable.

Bernie

1 person likes this.
  7. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Those look to be in great shape.

8. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Those are Bentons as far as I can tell. They are orthotics. Those soles wear out from what I hear rather quickly too. That price there indicates about $100 USD and I don't think a pair of used bentons are worth that at least not in my opinion. But they are in good shape and I'm not sure what the options are in AU. Hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  9. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Is anyone aware of a new retail store opening? I know the Cincinnati store 15% off sale ended Dec 4th. It would be nice to knock a few more bucks off these clearance prices.

1 person likes this.
  10. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

@twombles62 , those shoes appear to be in great shape, though I have the same reservations as @M2511 . Hard to know if the rubber soles have given out or not. I think with a little patience you can do better - unless you are specifically seeking out orthotic type shoes. There are some decent NW (no warranty) options on ebay that could get you into better/newer for a similar price.

11. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

I love the grain Dukes, but I've gotten to the point where I only want shoes that can be recrafted

12. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

The Academy is a great travel shoe. Shown here stuck for a couple extra hours in the Denver United lounge:
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Why not just take them to a local cobbler instead of sending them to AE?

14. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

[​IMG]

Continuing chukka week with my Gobis.

1 person likes this.
  15. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I did end up returning them and at times have regretted it.

I'm pretty sure the BB football grain Dukes are DR even though the website says US. People have commented to that effect on the BB site. Regardless, the build quality wa excellent. Mine were seconds but there were zero defects I could find.

I will definitely have to go check on your pics of the Shanley, thanks for posting them!

16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Looks like the thread discussing the AE company sale was deleted from Ask Andy. I wonder why.

17. M2511

M2511 Senior member

What was being said there that was different than here? I rarely check out Ask Andy.

18. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Censorship is ugly. I've not really spent much time on AA either, but hopefully SF respects the first amendment.

19. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Wow, that is absolutely horrible. Not surprising, but still. AAAC has lost so much relevance over the past few years though.

** wait, is this the thread? It still looks up to me ... https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?235111-Allen-Edmonds-bought-by-Caleres

**** based on some of the comments, it appears that two threads were merged?

20. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I like the community, as it's often more gentlemanly than SF. But I also participate more here for that same reason :p

I was following the thread there because I know that Mr. G is a friend of Andy's and posts there more frequently.

Edit: ah, I see. I guess the fall-out of our political age is that we often jump to conspiratorial conclusions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.