• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buster Brown

Reaction score

Thanks, I actually found this interesting.  So what are people thinking these days, are people wearing the dressier of these (e.g. Delray) with suits?  

Chili Delrays were my second AE pair and still one of my most versatile. They're not my first choice with suits but I've done it on occasion. Summer and/or 'casual' suits work best.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the Burgundy Cordovan ones.  You don't think they'll go with a suit?

I personally wouldn't wear any derby or blucher with a suit, although some might. Additionally, the moccasin stitch is really heavy, making it much more casual. Plus, I don't prefer cordovan with suits, although I know that's a minority opinion here.

Also the 1 last is pretty round and clunky. That makes it more casual as well.

Last edited:

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And yet, the Dalton always looks so sleek to me; I'd prefer it with trousers and an odd jacket, but wouldn't be offended by someone wearing it with a suit.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And yet, the Dalton always looks so sleek to me; I'd prefer it with trousers and an odd jacket, but wouldn't be offended by someone wearing it with a suit.

Dalton sleek? Compared to what? Super round toe, double sole, brass eyelets, full brogue. Pretty darn casual! Works best with chunky fabrics, odd jacket / trews. Jeans too.

To me, sleek is Edward Green 82 last, John Lobb 7000, Alden Aberdeen, Carmina Simpson, Bonafe 946, anything by Gaziano and Girling. AE's sleekest last is the 108, IMO.

Last edited:

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@peppercorn78, well, compared to the Higgins Mill, I suppose. I know intellectually that every detail is casual, but they always look so elongated in pictures I see posted here. Fair warning: I've never seen them in person. I mean, gun to my head the AE open-laced boots I'm wearing with a suit are the First Aves.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@peppercorn78, well, compared to the Higgins Mill, I suppose. I know intellectually that every detail is casual, but they always look so elongated in pictures I see posted here. Fair warning: I've never seen them in person. I mean, gun to my head the AE open-laced boots I'm wearing with a suit are the First Aves.

That would be a much better choice.

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dalton sleek? Compared to what? Super round toe, double sole, brass eyelets, full brogue. Pretty darn casual! Works best with chunky fabrics, odd jacket / trews. Jeans too.

To me, sleek is Edward Green 82 last, John Lobb 7000, Alden Aberdeen, Carmina Simpson, Bonafe 946, anything by Gaziano and Girling. AE's sleekest last is the 108, IMO.

Well, Dalton is sleeker compared to Alden Barrie (specially in medium and narrow widths). But I get your point that it has all the features to make it casual. I had it for some time in Bourbon calf but then had to sell it because it never looked right either with casual attire ( jeans/chinos) or business casual ( trousers/odd jacket)..

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the Fifth Street is an Oxford boot. If it were a punch cap, like its cousin the Fifth Avenue, i.e. Without the toe medalian, I think I'd already own a pair for suits. I might get a pair anyway.

It's rare, though, on days I need a boot for weather reasons that I'd also need a suit rather than an odd jacket and tie. On those occasions I've worn either some "polished cobbler" McAllisters I mistook for shell ((before I knew better) or some shell punch caps from BBxAlden. If super nasty, my burg Eagle Country (from the GMTO) open lace, but plain stitchcap, would work in a pinch. It is truly the most versitile boot I own.

Last edited:

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I recall correctly, the Fifth Street is an Oxford boot. If it were a punch cap, like its cousin the Fifth Avenue, i.e. Without the toe medalian, I think I'd already own a pair for suits. I might get a pair anyway.

It's rare, though, on days I need a boot for weather reasons that I'd also need a suit rather than an odd jacket and tie. On those occasions I've worn either some "polished cobbler" McAllisters I mistook for shell ((before I knew better) or some shell punch caps from BBxAE. If super nasty, my burg Eagle Country (from the GMTO) open lace, but plain stitchcap, would work in a pinch. It is truly the most versitile boot I own.

I have shoes with Dainite for bad weather days (treated suede Strands), but if it's truly nasty enough, I wear Le Chameau rain boots or (if it's cold) Bean Boots, then just change at the office. But I really don't have to leave my office, so it's only been necessary a couple times.

Last edited:

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Dalton is also "sleeker" (not best choice of words) to my mind than similar boots like CJ Skye and Islay and Alden WTB. Something about the shape and slope of the wing, against a comparatively large expanse of vamp.

I love my Fifth Streets (see yesterday's pic), but I agree, there aren't many occasions where it's clearly better than an Oxford AND a dedicated foul-weather boot. But it makes me feel fancy :)

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
The the department of "Best laid plans." I just got back from an outdoor wedding where I wore a suit. I brought some Alden shell perf cap toes for the occasion.

But the local area received an inch of rain the day before and there was no way to avoid spending a great deal of time in wet grass and ground. Not a happy environment for shell. Even if the shoes would have been fine, I would have fretted for them the entire time. On to plan B. Derby Bentons, with a good shine and a rubber sole. Unlike the picture, I wore black socks.

Sometimes the weather and outside factors can override tradition. I thought they worked well for the occasion, but were not my first choice.

matwa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Post church Brown McAllister Brunch

farscape105

Reaction score

Just want to see if this is a defect on a new pair of Mcallister's. I am a long time lurker at styleforum and this is my first post. I am now in a financial position to upgrade my wardrobe. Thanks to styleforum I have started buying Edmond's and just put order in at MTM Black Label for a suit. I just ordered the merlot Mcallisters from their clearance. In the picture you can see the side of the sole is not a smooth cut and stitching seems awfully close to the edge. Is this normal enough to not worry about it or should I return them? I ordered a 12D and it seems to fit really well, ball of foot is right at widest point and no heel slip. I am 2 hours away to a store in Minneapolis and hope get there this week to be fitted to make sure. I would like to order more in the upcoming Oct sale. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads