• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A question for you Sea Island owners.  Where does you big toe reach relative to the moc-stitching?  

After some experimentation, I'm almost certain I'm an 8.5D (didn't have one to try, but got my hands on 9's and 8's), but I'd like to be sure before I give up on 8's.

Edit: Also how have they broken in? (i.e. are they looser width-wise).

Perhaps they have broken in some but I found them to be pretty forgiving immediately. My big toe sits on the stitching from the sole if that is what you are asking. I dont even notice it, really since the first wear. Even less noticeable if you wear those no show socks for those shoes. I have an 8.5EEE.

Pretty much my experience as well. They were pretty tight on me, but stretched out after 2-3 wears and are now very comfortable. That first wear was brutal, though. I have them in my 65 last size, when I tried a half size larger I was slipping out of them.

Uncle

Reaction score

Walnut McAllisters today.

On a side note, what is the sizing like on the suede Strandmok? I'm a 10D in almost every last, but someone mentioned the Strandmok seems to run about a half size bigger so I was considering a 9.5 D.

Can anyone comment on that?
I am a 10c in a 65 last, my Strandmocks r 9 1/2 D. Not too loose when laced tight. Very little V gap if any, but quite comfortable nonetheless.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 20% additional off of clearance did me in. Have been an incredibly well behaved weasel (for weeks)...

Ordered from Alicia, a very friendly and helpful associate at PALO ALTO (new store/grand opening/15% added discount)

1 Clearance grey Strandmok II 167
2 Shoe Bank snuff Strandmok II $167
3 Shoe bank Thomastown $82
3 shoe trees

Love the fitment of the 201 lasted strandmok II and have loved them on hot days, so wanted the range of color options while available. (especially at $167 each, 1 first, 1 seconds)

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 20% additional off of clearance did me in.  Have been an incredibly well behaved weasel (for weeks)...

Ordered from Alicia, a very friendly and helpful associate at PALO ALTO (new store/grand opening/15% added discount)

3 shoe trees

Love the fitment of the 201 lasted strandmok II and have loved them on hot days, so wanted the range of color options while available. (especially at $167 each, 1 first, 1 seconds)

I don't see a store listed in Palo Alto.
Regular retail, or Shoebank location?

amphillips79

Reaction score

The 20% additional off of clearance did me in.  Have been an incredibly well behaved weasel (for weeks)...

3 shoe trees

Would the new store ship to PA if I ordered from there? $167 strandmoks sounds like a steal to me!

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 20% additional off of clearance did me in. Have been an incredibly well behaved weasel (for weeks)...

3 shoe trees

Some good deals there - I guess "winn" is suitable.

Have to admit, you got me a little excited when you said this was possible, until I realized one thing - I had immediately assumed anything clearance and left in the warehouse (namely the stuff that has been showing up on ebay) could be ordered this way, but if you use shoebank like the blueprint, they selectively applied the 20% off to only a select group. Hence, your 20&15 thing would only work on those. Some good stuff nonetheless, just nothing I was interested in. Definitely appreciate it though.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see a store listed in Palo Alto.
Regular retail, or Shoebank location?

New retail store near Stanford (posted prematurely by another poster recently)

Would the new store ship to PA if I ordered from there? $167 strandmoks sounds like a steal to me!

I grabbed 2 for that price, shipped to NJ.

Wonder if they would have lowered the seconds price on second grey Strandmoks while the firsts are at 20% additional off.

Some good deals there - I guess "winn" is suitable.

Have to admit, you got me a little excited when you said this was possible, until I realized one thing - I had immediately assumed anything clearance and left in the warehouse (namely the stuff that has been showing up on ebay) could be ordered this way, but if you use shoebank like the blueprint, they selectively applied the 20% off to only a select group. Hence, your 20&15 thing would only work on those. Some good stuff nonetheless, just nothing I was interested in. Definitely appreciate it though.

Yes, there are just a few items I have been interested in - especially the strandmoks in 201 last, and grey showed up just today on clearance. This was a good sale for this 201 last-lover (3 pairs)...there was a recent sale on 65 last items that was a real heartbreaker..

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ace13x - never tried the sea island, but from your description, id be hesitant on that 8D. Nevermind no socks etc. Did you try to walk fast in them without concentrating on the shoes - generally you'll slide forward when you walk - if you find yourself at all smashing into the end of the toe box, its bad news.

Are you looking at the bone? In person it's extremely light. Nice shoes, but you bump into anything or get a spec of dust on them and they'll stain.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I caved in. The Neumok 2.0 is just too tempting. I currently have in my possession: Blue, Red, Green, Gray...LOL. In addition I picked up the Fifth Street boot. :)

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question about the Mora 2. How is the fit? I have a pair of Bourbon ones but I am concerned they are too big. AE is sending me some tongue pads? Since the Bourbon color is discontinued I thought I would try it.

roz77

Reaction score

Walnut McAllisters today.

On a side note, what is the sizing like on the suede Strandmok? I'm a 10D in almost every last, but someone mentioned the Strandmok seems to run about a half size bigger so I was considering a 9.5 D.

Can anyone comment on that?

Every time I think I don't need a third pair of McAllisters, I see a picture of them in Walnut and know I want a pair.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ace13x - never tried the sea island, but from your description, id be hesitant on that 8D. Nevermind no socks etc. Did you try to walk fast in them without concentrating on the shoes - generally you'll slide forward when you walk - if you find yourself at all smashing into the end of the toe box, its bad news.

Are you looking at the bone? In person it's extremely light. Nice shoes, but you bump into anything or get a spec of dust on them and they'll stain.

The sliding forward was what I was worried about in the 8's, and why I'm thinking 8.5's (without having a pair to try before order) but I wanted to get the forums opinions. I think I'm going for it, and hope they're almost as snug as the 8's.

Olive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads