1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@kopo Ok - definitely better, I'm a little confused but I'm getting there (I am a slow padawan learner). These shoes should be relatively comfortable - sure, some need more break-in than others, but you should *basically* forget you have them on during the day. When you say "plenty of room past the toes" do you get deep bending & creasing in the parks & Carlyle, enough that you think they might even be too long? Same size, apples to apples, you will sort of fall into each of these differently - depending on how long you find those, you may want to try 10.5D just to see (from the pic they do appear on the long side). Flatiron is on the 333 - the longest, longer than the Carlyle 108. But keep in mind dropping to 10.5 might alter the fit enough based on you being in a different position. I'd try D before E. One variable at a time.

1 person likes this.
  2. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I think of them as a golden dark brown. Bourbon is extremely dicey from the bank, but it looks like you got an excellent pair.

3. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Inaugural run for the navy suede Dundee 2.0s today.
    [​IMG]

Chris

6 people like this.
  4. kopo

kopo Well-Known Member

Thanks again @Neo1. No unusual creasing on the Carlyle or PA's, no creasing in the PA toe box. I'll see if I can find a 10.5d.

5. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    So, you are out shopping at the local Nordstrom Rack for a bargain on some AE shoes and upon returning home find your wife has flipped out and set fire to your closet. You only have time to rush in to said smoke filled closet and rescue two pairs, consigning the remainder to the flames of marital discord. Which two do you save? There is no correct answer as everyone has different shoes and needs. For me, it would be a black shell LWB and #8 PTB.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

I know I'm committing forum suicide with not waiting until tomorrow to wear these...
    [​IMG]
    But I missed them.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Bourbon is a very independent minded color, being walnut with black burnishing, so every bourbon shoe is different, and becomes more different looking every time it gets polished, since everyone polishes their Bourbon shoes differently. Bourbon often ends up looking similar to Museum Calf, the leather some $3000.00 shoes are made with.

Here's a picture of my (MTO rubber soles and heels and Poiron insoles) bourbon Park Avenues which are several years old.

[​IMG]

Look around the internet, look at pictures of Museum Calf shoes, and congratulate yourself on getting the same look with your bourbon Park Avenues that others have paid thousands of dollars for.

8. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Rainy overcast day has me reaching for some boots. Malverns today.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I can't wait until a moderately priced, lightly used pair of those come through the bay. I will not be able to control myself.

Your lacing habits have evolved like mine have. Didn't you used to bar lace everything? I also bar laced, but got tired of the look with a gap on the shoe. I feel like the criss cross adds more detail.

Looking great, man.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  10. mosy

mosy Senior member

Thanks guys. You're helping me lean towards keeping them. It doesn't show up in the picture much, but when looking closely at the shoe, you can see the brush strokes of the black polish. Would that bother you? Also it almost seems like a dirty walnut shoe. Should I polish them before wearing to "clean them up" a bit? If so, how do I polish these?

1 person likes this.
  11. JLC2

JLC2 Senior member

My trip last week with my HM's was great for some initial break in, at least of the boots...

Both my ankles have cuts on the outside where they contact the cuff of the boots.

Any tips for as less medieval break in?

12. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

That is called tiger stripping, which is usually the reason why a bourbon pair hits the bank. Yours don't seem to be too bad. It's fixable if you are good with the polish, but with yours I might just let them ride.

Here are my McAllisters from the bank after I worked on them a bit. I wish i had a before pic to show you for comparison purposes.

[​IMG]

Here is an earlier pic.
    [​IMG]

13. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

@MattRiv you are correct my friend. Everything in my closet was bar laced at one point, including my desert boots with two eyelets. One day I'll go back to bar lacing but criss cross works so much better fit wise and comfort wise for now

14. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Feels like fall?! Time to pull out the Shakers! Especially since temps will be back up near 90 by the end of the week.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  15. mosy

mosy Senior member

Yours look great! Can you give me some basic guidance on your polish routine for these?

16. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

You're welcome.

If you look at the tongue, you will see it is walnut because your shoes were walnut before getting polished on the black polishing wheel. Your shoes will change color every time you polish them. I usually use AE neutral or Kiwi tan and use my black, rather than my tan, brush and polishing cloth.

Everyone has their own ways of caring for their bourbon shoes.

17. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Merlot Strands and a slightly toned down combination for Tuesday.

2 people like this.
  18. jjtitus

jjtitus Well-Known Member

I'm having the same issue today on my first wear. I have the same issue with my First Avenues as well. Everything fits fine but rubs bad on my shins/ankles. Not really sure how to go about making them more comfortable.

19. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

lol, now I'm going to think of that when I see the color. Thanks.

To be serious, bourbon varies a lot. Check out Orange Fury's Strands to see perfect bourbon. I think it's a really nice color when its done right, but it can look weird when its off. It's less forgiving than other colors like walnut and oxblood.

20. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.