1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Contoured to the foot. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

@peppercorn78 I'm kidding. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Yes, AE's are shank-less. There is an old tyme AE video of a guy flexing violently demonstrating this feature.

I would try Lexol (others would say Bick 4, but I've used Lexol). It can't hurt, (and after a good brushing) the worst that will happen is your shoes will have a great luster.

3. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I hope they discount the navy Park Ave by 35%. If it's over 300, I'll probably pass during the sale. But I'm assuming the navy will be a close-out at some point, so I am probably safe waiting if it's too expensive.

4. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Question unrelated to shoes. I realize there may be a more appropriate thread for this question, but I have come to trust your opinions regarding matters of taste. I need a suit. I have a wedding to attend in November, and the only suit that sort of fits is about fifteen years old and looks it. It's a three button number in dark charcoal that I picked up while on my honeymoon. While I may someday attempt to have it tailored to fit even better, I should probably pick something more timeless in appearance. My thought is to get something in navy. Besides this and other weddings, it will probably be used for any interviews that I may have in my future. Now for the questions. Are the Brooks Brothers 1818 suits any good? There's a 40% off sale that brings them to between $700-800 which is probably about the upper end of my budget. Additionally, are there other purveyors of suits in the same general price range that I should be considering? Cheaper would be better, but I don't want junk.

For reference, this is one I am considering:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Regent-Fit-Bird's-Eye-1818-Suit/MK00695,default,pd.html

Now, let the opinions fly! Thanks in advance!

5. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

I'd look for a nice new/used one in the B&S here (Razl's "best of B&S" thread is an excellent start). I've acquired many new and used pieces that way. The hierarchical suit quality list is also helpful.

Given, what I've found here, I'd pass on a BB1818 at that price. I bought a BNWT RL Black Label on here for that much. You can also find nice BNWT D'Avenza and Belvest suits on eBay for that money (I've bought some of those too).

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    2 people like this.
  6. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Also the LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread. @SpooPoker Great high end stuff.

1 person likes this.
  7. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Sounds like you rarely wear suits.

My advice would be to go try the BB suit on and if it fits and is in your budget... go for it. It's not worth it for you to invest a lot of money into a high quality suit if you aren't wearing often enough.

My suits are from all over the place. My navy suit was from OFF 5th Saks, which on sale ran me ~$250 (on a really good sale). It's got Zegna fabric and is fully lined. I would assume it's still not on par with the BB suit. Everything I own from BB is of the highest quality (shirts, pants, tweed duffel, gloves..).

1 person likes this.
  8. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Yes, you nailed it. But I don't want it to look like I rarely wear suits when I have to wear one. I love the idea of wearing a suit more often, but frankly I would look extremely out of place at my office if I were to wear one to work.

Oh yes, and my son will be having his first communion next year and I'll definitely want to be looking my best for that as well.

Last and least, this suit will also be both a reward for my accomplishment over the past 15 months to get myself in better shape as well as motivation for me to stay this way.

9. billikenman

billikenman Well-Known Member

Regardless of which of you gentlemen was correct, I appreciate the civility that is so often displayed in this thread. Particularly in this political climate.

10. kopo

kopo Well-Known Member

Are these too long?

[​IMG]

11. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

2 people like this.
  12. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Check out Suit Supply.

1 person likes this.
  13. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@St Hubbins I'd forget about the suit and concentrate more on the shoes you'll be pairing with them. Do you know what would happen if god forbid you showed up with something like a Leeds for the communion? Everyone would be preoccupied with you not looking sleek enough.

5 people like this.
  14. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@kopo Forgot about you, my apologies. First thing - the comment about everything fitting great screws me up - can you elaborate on the Wilbert, Carlyle & park? If instep is of totally no concern, my guess is that the Wilbert feels significantly wider and shorter than the other too. What I'm getting at is you might need even a 10.5D with the flatiron - wouldn't be unheard of.

1 person likes this.
  15. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I would say neither is 'correct', just different opinions. But yes, this thread is quite civil, ad in my experience so is most of SF.

1 person likes this.
  16. Wrong Crowd

Wrong Crowd Senior member

Piggybacking on to agree with these posters. You get much better value for your money going used. There are many prolific eBay sellers on this website, @SpooPoker the most prominent among them.

17. mosy

mosy Senior member

Picked these up from the shoe bank. What's the consensus on bourbon? I can't decide if it's a rich golden brown color or a diarrhea color (sorry but that's what came to mind).

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Well played, sir.

Considering my current lineup, I think there's no question that it would be between my Bourbon Fifth Avenues and Merlot Strands as they are the only two calfskin balmorals that I own. This fact is among the reasons that I would go for navy over a dark charcoal as the navy would be a match for both shoes and offer me a greater variety of looks that I could go with. And when I finally decide to pull the trigger on the obligatory Black Park Aves, they would work, too. And all quite "sleek" I hope everyone can agree.

1 person likes this.
  19. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Thank you, and everyone else, for your opinions. Keep them coming. You have already given me much to ponder. I have been wanting to buy "Dressing The Man" for a while now, and maybe this is the right time to do so.

From the pictures online at least, the Madison fit suits always looked a bit too generously proportioned to my eye. Perhaps that is because I need a bit more education on the matter. My goal would be to have the elegant appearance of a Cary Grant or a Fred Astaire rather than a Neil Patrick Harris in a Heineken commercial or a Chris Hardwick. That is to say, not too trendy but still flattering to my modest physique.

20. kopo

kopo Well-Known Member

No worries, thanks for responding. I rescind my comment about PA's fitting well in 11d, they're actually the most uncomfortable of all my AE's. But here's a more info on the fit for each below in 11d. Keep in mind, these only have limited wears if any, I bought my first AE about 3 months ago, mostly from eBay. Most are barely worn if at all.

Wilbert - Comfortable all around, limited space above toes, but not tight...due to wide toe box?
    Carlyle - Really comfortable all around, plenty of room above toes, looks great to me
    Flatiron - Pretty comfortable as well....the elongated toe box just look off to me
    Park Avenue - A bit narrow in the ball area and toes, plenty of space above toes; not unreasonably tight, might get better with 5+ wears?
    Ashton - Pretty comfortable all around with a dozen+ wears

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.