1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

www.thorlo.com

Thorlo boot socks. Try sierra trading post, they sell irregulars for much less. To be honest, I haven't found any flaws in sny irregulars I've ever bought, but even so thats plenty good for breakin.

They also breathe much better than cotton. My cotton socks would be soaked after a day of wearing, but the Thorlos stay quite dry.

2. billikenman

billikenman Well-Known Member

The horror! If we're talking AE specific, I'd have to grab a pair of black park avenues and my burgundy/mahogany Daltons in dainite. I have to wear a suit just about every day, and I think that rotation could conceivably cover all my bases. The Dalton may not be ideal for suits, but it works in a pinch and could perform double duty with nice slacks and jeans.

3. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I try not to mess with them unless I have to. In these of this pair, I completely stripped the finish off the entire front of the shoe and slowly and carefully blended in some black meltonian cream to even out the stripes and darken the shoe to look like the other one. Then I added some black wax in small amounts to finish it off. I do not recommend this unless you have a lot of experience with shining shoes and the bourbon color in general as you are basically recreating the finish that AE makes in the factory.

For general maintenance, I would recommend using the AE bourbon polish and neutral or black wax depending on what you're trying to do with the shoe. Do not, under any circumstance, use the AE conditioner/cleaner unless you want to remove the factory finish.

1 person likes this.
  4. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

For the first few wears, I always COAT the insides of my boots with some type of conditioner (leather lotion, Bick 4, etc). That, and thicker-than-you-would-normally-wear socks for the first few wears. This helps me break in the shaft and usually eliminates any squeaking issues as well.

Speaking of squeaks... Thought my Shakers were squeaking this morning. After a some true detective work, turns out it is my Hrothgar Stibbon belt. Guess that needs to be conditioned tonight...

5. orange fury

orange fury Senior member

Freaking pissed- scratched the toe of my merlot McAllisters on a metal piece that I didn't realize was on my desk:
    [​IMG]

Is the best option for this to just polish the heck out of it?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  6. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Srsly? A good polish and you'd hardly notice that itty bitty scratch.

2 people like this.
  7. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

This is really tough. Right now, it would be my merlot Park Aves and bourbon Carlyles. Both of those fit me well and are extinct.

8. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

I'd probably just cuddle with all my oxblood and burn with them. *insert violin music*

3 people like this.
  9. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Senior member

Brush and polish. Eventually you won't even see it or remember that it was there.

1 person likes this.
  10. billikenman

billikenman Well-Known Member

Yeah, use a few applications of a good cream polish with some pigment in it. Then go over it with some wax polish. You'll barely even see it.

11. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

That blows.

I would condition, hit it with some merlot cream and then fill in with burgundy wax. On such a dark shoe, it should fill in just fine. That's precisely why I put a wax protective shine on a shoe pretty much out of the box.

12. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Senior member

Haven't had a chance to take a pic, though I will say that while it feels like the color of mine had become more deeper or more rich, I don't have any evidence of a change. The tongues of mine seem to be consistent with the rest of the vamp and the rest of the shoe. I wouldn't be surprised if the color hasn't actually changed much, as I really haven't worn mine much at all. I think that's going to change, though. I couldn't help but constantly admire them when I was wearing them the other day. That seems to happen whenever I wear either those or my Strands anymore...

13. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

Hmmm ... my head says grab the black PAs and dark chili Bleecker Streets. I might reach for the navy suede Dundees instead of the PAs. The Dundees would go with a wider variety of stuff I wear most often and the PAs are probably easier to replace. Then again if replacement difficulty is the criteria, it would have to be the Ritz (opera pumps).

14. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

How much time/effort do you want to put into this? With Brooks Brothers, you're going to get known materials/construction methods and will be able to find classic colors/patterns for your intended use. You can try on different cuts/sizes and they have onsite tailoring, which you will need for any off the rack suit. It may not be the best value but it's no rip off either and it's probably the path of least resistance. For a little more hassle but better potential value, you could check out Nordstrom's Rack. You still get to try it on and they have onsite alterations. I agree with those who've stated the best value will be from online retailers (or re-sellers). The problem is you really need to know your fit and are taking a risk on things like color, drape, etc. Photos and measurements can only tell you so much.

On a related note, if you think this may be the start of buying more suits (or even odd jackets), you'll definitely want to find a good alterations tailor. It typically takes a few projects to develop a good mutual understanding but it's well worth it. My tailor has turned many a thrift find into something that looks like it cost several hundred dollars. He's also warned me off of projects that would be a waste of time and money.

1 person likes this.
  15. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

They are quite stiff. My ankles were sore in same area for a few wears, skipping the top lace hooks helped.

16. RaggedyDandy

RaggedyDandy Senior member

I'm sorry to say, but that damage is beyond repair. Send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you.

3 people like this.
  17. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Wearing my MTO MacGillicuddys today.........

[​IMG]

(MTO Horween English Tan Dublin Leather MacAllisters with Danite soles, split reverse welts, brass eyelets, and flat laces. Since there is no A-E name for this, I call them MacGillicuddys, which older members might remember was Lucy Ricardo's maiden name.)

3 people like this.
  18. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

Hey Higgins Mill owners, I have a question for you.

I don't treat my Long Brach CXL boots with anything. I just condition them periodically with leather lotion and occasionally add some saddle soap. Never had any issues with anything water related.

I'm assuming the Higgins Mill CXL is the same sort of process, although I'm probably not going to go the saddle soap route on these, considering AE doesn't recommend it on their product care page. However, there's the issue of the suede tongue. Now, most of the tongue is covered with laces and the lace stay/eyelets. Additionally, my pant leg is covering the majority of it. I would assume that the suede is mostly protected from the elements. But, I've made bad assumptions in the past. Are any of you treating the suede with any kind of protectant with winter coming up? I'm a total suede noob, so I'm not sure if there's anything I need to do to it moving forward.

Holla back, yo.

19. matthewisch

matthewisch Member

I'm looking to pick up the First Avenue (201) and the Dundee (511), can I get a recommendation for sizing based on the below?

My brannock is 9.5D, but the only AE I own are both Strands, Walnut in 9EEE and Bourbon in 9E. Of the two, the 9EEE are the easiest to wear, the 9E are snug/fine but that v-gap, otherwise no slipping or tight spots in either. Before I settled on 9's, I did try 9.5 but it was too long and I think I'd have ended up with some nasty toe creasing. Fwiw, there's enough room at the front of both 9's, that I'd consider dropping to a 8.5EEE on the next 65 last purchase.

Wearing the 9E Bourbons today. \:D/
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Senior member

Thanks for the laugh!

I would have to go with my Bourbon Fifth Avenues and Snuff Suede Fullertons because replacing them would be difficult if not impossible. The rest can be replaced with an exact match or something close enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.