• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cordovan Leeds

Wore mine today too, these are 2014 (recrafted; rubber sole and contrast stitch) seconds.

Seconds shell pricing has doubled and then some since 2013.

Last edited:

sd-engnr

Reaction score
Does it make sense that a pair of 5th Avenue's in size 10E fit me perfectly and a pair of Park Avenue's in the same size fit snug? Scratching my head because it is the same last.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it make sense that a pair of 5th Avenue's in size 10E fit me perfectly and a pair of Park Avenue's in the same size fit snug? Scratching my head because it is the same last.
Well, they are handmade so there will be some variability in the fit of the shoe. Also, if if the 5A is new, it will take some time to break in.

sd-engnr

Reaction score
Well, they are handmade so there will be some variability in the fit of the shoe. Also, if if the 5A is new, it will take some time to break in.
The 5A is new from recent Shoe Bank purchase and the PA is slightly used from ebay. Wondering if maybe the PA is mis-marked... really 10D?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
Crap, I did not know this would evolved into an intervention, but that may not be too unreasonable. Since last April, or 13 months, I have purchased 45 pairs of new, used or second shoes for personal use. 16 of them have since been resold, 7 were returned for one reason or another and 2 given away. 22 pairs remain.

Benton in chili
Benton in black
Regent Street now sold
MacNeil now sold
New Orleans
Passenger
Park Ave now sold
Park Ave now sold
Fairgate
Park Ave now sold
Byron in chili
Sanford burgundy now sold
Sanford in black now sold
MacNeil now sold
Baton Rogue
Fairfax now sold
Florsheim Veblen for sale
Chester in black now sold
Chester in burgundy now sold
Winhall now sold
Byron in black given away
Tribeca given away
Florsheim shell
Hopkinson now sold
Byron in black now sold
Ashton now sold
Dawson returned
Cornwallis returned
Larchmont returned
Rutledge
Hillcrest returned
Fenway
Schautal
Belmont
Florsheim vintage
Alden 9016
Alden 990
Alden 901 returned
Alden 924 returned
Alden 9508 returned
Bradley now sold
Ashton
Mapleton
Shreveport
Malone

I think I have some issues to work out in therapy.

Last edited:

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 5A is new from recent Shoe Bank purchase and the PA is slightly used from ebay.  Wondering if maybe the PA is mis-marked... really 10D?

Maybe the footbed has just settled a bit or that the previous owner had them stretched and sold them because he couldn't make them fit.

sd-engnr

Reaction score
Maybe the footbed has just settled a bit or that the previous owner had them stretched and sold them because he couldn't make them fit.

Very true... I am going to wear them for a week and hope they break in / loosen up.

eagleman

Reaction score
I had an experience today that I probably won't forget for a long while. I take a lot of pride in my appearance, just like everyone else in this forum. Especially my shoes. I'm not a filthy weasel (yet) but I'm working on it. I only wear AE shoes except for my golf shoes.

I wore my new Boones to a meeting today with a pair of seersucker pants and blue blazer. A man walked up to me and told me "I like your new Hush Puppies". He was trying to be nice but I was stunned and didn't know what to say. I just smiled and walked away. I have never worn that garbage and never will. They remind me of those shoes that use Velcro straps instead of laces. I couldn't quit thinking about his comment the entire meeting. :censored:

I guess coming here this afternoon is for therapy and sanity.

Dd1101

Reaction score

I had an experience today that I probably won't forget for a long while. I take a lot of pride in my appearance, just like everyone else in this forum. Especially my shoes. I'm not a filthy weasel (yet) but I'm working on it. I only wear AE shoes except for my golf shoes.

I wore my new Boones to a meeting today with a pair of seersucker pants and blue blazer. A man walked up to me and told me "I like your new Hush Puppies". He was trying to be nice but I was stunned and didn't know what to say. I just smiled and walked away. I have never worn that garbage and never will. They remind me of those shoes that use Velcro straps instead of laces. I couldn't quit thinking about his comment the entire meeting. :censored:

It happens man, I get a lot of "those are nice Cole haans"

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha I lol'ed at Hush Puppies. If it makes you feel better, my most recent Google search is "boot tassel loafer." I showed a guy at work a pic of the Liverpools and he tells me no more boots. He also shakes his head at my Graysons. Thinks they are too old manish. What brand would MTO a pair of boot tassel loafers for me??

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wore my new Boones to a meeting today with a pair of seersucker pants and blue blazer. A man walked up to me and told me "I like your new Hush Puppies". He was trying to be nice but I was stunned and didn't know what to say. I just smiled and walked away. I have never worn that garbage and never will. They remind me of those shoes that use Velcro straps instead of laces. I couldn't quit thinking about his comment the entire meeting.
censored.gif

Well at least you resisted the urge to slap him. You did resist???

It happens man, I get a lot of "those are nice Cole haans"

DOH!!!

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking to my wife today, and apparently her sister had been asking her where I get "all my nice shoes". Apparently her boyfriend has taken note when we've been together and he's been impressed.

Only problem: I've sort of indicated to the wife that my shoes tend to be less expensive than what they actually are (and I never even pay retail), but the concern is now that sister in law and boyfriend will look into it, then word gets back to the wife.

Oh well. At least the shoes are appreciated!

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope. One shot, until they offer it again. However, if you know someone else with an Amex card...

Hmm.. possible addition to the shoeholic list? Use others to get your fix.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the Jefferson 2.0s worth the premium over the McAllisters? I've been wanting a pair of the Jefferson 2.0s in Merlot for a while now but I don't think I can pass up this sale on the McAllisters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're different lasts. The 201 last for the Jefferson 2.0s and the 5 last for the McAllisters. Personally, I fit the 201 last a lot better, and some people who fit the 5 last find the 201 to be a bit roomy. So I say it comes down to how well you fit.

If you have a normal or low instep, the McAllisters are a great bargain. If it were full priced McAllisters, I'd say the independence line is with the extra cost, but at this price, and assuming you fit the last, I'd go McAllister.

Everything Moose22 said is correct. IMO at regular pricing for BOTH, the Independence line is pretty good value for the bump in materials assuming the 201/65 situation works for you. But at the SALE price of the Merlot McAllisters right now, thats a really big jump.

I would add that the color on the McAllisters is the BURNISHED Merlot, and not the same as the Merlot in the Independence Line (unless they've changed that since the last time I held a Merlot Jefferson).

flaminiom

Reaction score
Oh man. My Strands shipped today. I was wanting that 4 week build time before another AE box showed up. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads