Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mc2k

mc2k Well-Known Member

Cordovan Leeds

[​IMG]

2. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Y'all see the 2 new shoes added today. A new monk strap and Chelsea boot.

3. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

Yep, those are in the catalog. Mine came just yesterday. Says it's for fall, but if they're taking orders early...........no. I won't. I will wait for a sale.

I was just recently lamenting on another board that with my B-width feet, there aren't any chelseas to be found for a reasonable price out there that would actually fit me. This.....makes me happy.

If only they came in the same shade of brown suede as the strandmok 2.0..........

4. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Its throwback Thursday and today's feature is the "Troy." Discontinued in 2006 and it came in black and chestnut. Interesting concept for a faux saddle shoe created by the brogue through the single layer with blucher closure and a leather sole. I don't think it would work well in today's market, but it seems everything does come back into fashion eventually.

[​IMG]

5. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

What B's are you? I'm a b guy as well and this is a reason why AEs are so appealing because there are only like 5 brands that make quality shoes in my size.... which sucks, quite frankly.

6. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

I'm a 9.5B brannock, and have that size in all my AE shoes save for my Sturgis 2.0's; those are a D width but I wear thicker socks and my feet are none the wiser. ;)

7. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I think that they missed an opportunity. I would like to suggest the following in blue and white, with red tassels and Dainite:
    [​IMG]

8. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

They're different lasts. The 201 last for the Jefferson 2.0s and the 5 last for the McAllisters. Personally, I fit the 201 last a lot better, and some people who fit the 5 last find the 201 to be a bit roomy. So I say it comes down to how well you fit.

If you have a normal or low instep, the McAllisters are a great bargain. If it were full priced McAllisters, I'd say the independence line is with the extra cost, but at this price, and assuming you fit the last, I'd go McAllister.

9. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Yes and I think that the Liverpool chelsea boot is on the same last as the Cornwallis. One of my favorite lasts. $445 seems like a lot for a simple chelsea but AE has good sales very often. Most likely we'll have to wait for the RDA Sale in October to see these on a good sale though.

10. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

The monks are on the 1943; the Chelsea says it's on the "943B" - I assume it's the 1943 with a bigger toe box.

I'm loving the St. John's monks. Want them. Like a double monk version of the Franciscan. But need to get rid of one of my two current monks to justify it.

11. gm928

gm928 Senior member

The boots have the v-tread sole and wheeled detail around the welt. The wheeling is more typical for the Independence collection than an "ordinary" boot. The higher price is also in line with what they're charging for other dress boots, like the First Ave and Dalton. I'm not saying the new chelseas are (or aren't) worth the price, especially since I don't think I'd ever wear a chelsea boot, but I can understand why they were priced this way.

12. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Yea. I see that their boots are usually priced higher and I can understand why. I actually have the Daltons but I was lucky to find them on sale. I own a lot of boots but my Daltons are my fav.

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Chelseas are actually trickier to manufacture than blucher boots (or at least require a different lasting procedure), although I won't pretend to know why. I've read comments from Paul G, Jaime Albaladejo, and Antonio Meccariello suggesting this.

Anyway, I would give these a try as I've had bad luck with Chelseas from other brands, but I would prefer dark brown. :fu:

14. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Yea I am going to wait till RDA for my next purchase... Got my 2 shell boots in the making that will hold me over for some time.

Actually my next purchase will be a pair of daltons for my wife.

15. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

I've got a black pair and dark brown pair of chelseas from Wolverine. That walnut Liverpool is screaming for my money. Ugh why are boots so damn sexy and why must I have all the boots???

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.