1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

Get them! I know I am such and enabler!

What things should you look for when getting seconds from shoe bank especially on cordovan?

2. HoldenMI

HoldenMI Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of cordovan Leeds I found on shoebank from the store in Paramus. I would suggest buying them from a retail location and avoiding the Consumer Assistance Center so that the sales associate can look them over for you while you're on the phone to describe any defects. The cordovan Leeds I received were near perfect and I have no regrets. (The Consumer Assistance Center, or CAC, ships from the warehouse and the SA is not able to to eyeball the shoes before they are shipped to you--out of 5 pairs I've ordered through them, 4 have had significant and sometimes multiple defects.)

2 people like this.
  3. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Last week I asked about the 333 and how it fit vs the 65 and the 201 because I was taking a gamble on some Rutledge's.

Background for those new to the forum festivities. I brannock 8.5D/E (which is to say D+. D.5 what have you), and I go with 8E in 65 balmorals. The fit is my best for that last, but I could possibly wear 8.5D ok-ish after break in, but I prefer less space in front of the toes.

So my gamble was on 8.5D Rutledge. The 65 is "our longest last" right? Maybe I could live with a little extra in the toes. Got the shoes today, here are my observations:

1) MY GOD they're long. Really really long. I suppose some of it is visual, but I can sublet the space in front of my toes.
    2) Not bad at all in width. Actually more roomy than 65 8.5D's.
    3) A dream for my instep. Absolutely perfect.

The shoes themselves were in good shape just need a little TLC (a wipedown, a touch of conditioner, polish and a good brushing.). It amazes me how people put things on eBay and don't bother to take a minute to apply edge dressing or even wipe a shoe down with a damp towel.

Any way, they're going back up on eBay. I think I'll look for a 7.5 (probably E).

1 person likes this.
  4. TexasTexter

Those are cool! I missed out on the green. I have the red, blue and Acorn Hillfire.

5. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

+100 on that. Not always possible, but you should always have an SA look shell over if at all possible.

2 people like this.
  6. TexasTexter

Good idea. Good thinking!

7. TexasTexter

Looks to me like the leather is not thick enough in that spot. Unusual creasing could be a sign of weak leather.

8. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

I guess I will put the one on the right on Ebay. Probably will try to sell for $125. I hate to part with either of these guys, but I don't really need 2 of them. Decided I will break in and if need be, stretch the ones that fit smaller with the old piping. I suspect the old one fits tighter because the leather is thicker than the new one.

Perhaps, I'm too obsessed with piping. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. TexasTexter

Just texted my shoe guy at Nordstroms. He said the Park will go on sale. I think around $260

2 people like this.
  10. TexasTexter

I like the grain of the one on the right, it looks like it gives it character. I have a pair of Cole Haan Preston Wholecuts that have that on them and I love them (so much so that I bought all 5 colors of that shoe but that's another brand) LOL.

1 person likes this.
  11. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Would you be kind enough to text him and ask if the navy Neumoks will be on sale too? lol

12. TexasTexter

He said Neumok in brown is going.

13. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Thanks. Honestly, I'm not quite sure how the brown really looks like. I've seen pics of it dark and pics of it lighter.

14. TexasTexter

It's a gold color. It's very different. I like it. It's very neutral and goes well with the light sole. I have the blue ones too I got them first, then the red then the Acorn Hillfire. I liked it better than the tan ones Allen Edmonds had.

15. iloveplaid

iloveplaid Well-Known Member

Need some help with sizing - hopefully anyone with experience with these models can chime in.

So far I haven't had any luck with the following:

7.5EEE - Walden Loafers - 114 last - length was great but baby toe was smushed.
    8 EEE - Cavanaugh Loafers - 114 last - HUGE - feet were swimming.
    8 EEE Eagle County Boots - 222 last - HUGE feet were swimming.
    7 EEE - Bass Weejun Larsons - fit perfectly

These were mostly purchased as seconds and I've managed to do OK with insoles.

Looking at a pair of Macneils which are on 97 lasts. Any advice on sizing here?

Cheers

16. TexasTexter

[​IMG]

17. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Thanks. Since u have 3, which of the 3 colors do you think works best with jeans?

18. TexasTexter

[​IMG]

19. TexasTexter

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. TexasTexter

The Acorn Hilfire by far. It is very sharp with jeans. The blue just blends in too much. I wear the blue with khaki.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.