• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
Here's AE's only bicycle toe shoe offering at the moment...

You see nothing but bad things about it because it's ugly as all hell. I don't even believe that's a subjective opinion. Very, very few people find them aesthetically pleasing.
It tend to agree and have rarely found a bicycle toe that worked for me. I did elect to get a pair of Mapletons, but the toe was secondary. The rubber sole, storm welt, contrast stitching and leather that both looks and feels like an old baseball glove made me think it would be a great super causal shoe, especially in bad weather. It did everything I wanted and it is super comfortable.

Last edited:

HoldenMI

Reaction score

No AEs today. Vintage Florsheim Imperials with the V cleat suicide heel came my way. AMAZING condition and quality
for a shoe that was made in March 1969! Brushed, VSC and out the door. Although not AE, I thought some may appreciate really "old school" longwings when
the quality was at a far higher level than today.

Very Nice! Could you describe how the sizing compares the MacNeil? If I'm a 10.5 B in the MacNeil, would you recommend staying with the same size in vintage Florsheim?

Thanks!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
Once again, the apron toe is not terribly common and I rarely see one in the wild. I'm not even sure of AE has one currently. I found this one, called the Passenger, on Ebay for >$40 and I bought it for the same reasons as the Mapleton. It is part of the comfort series and I am hard to fit. The contrast stitching and laces, rubber sole and soft leather makes is a nice casual shoe for running errands on the weekend. The lighter color, however, makes it unfriendly with water. Hey, anyone can pull off pretty shoes.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
No AEs today. Vintage Florsheim Imperials with the V cleat suicide heel came my way. AMAZING condition and quality
for a shoe that was made in March 1969! Brushed, VSC and out the door. Although not AE, I thought some may appreciate really "old school" longwings when
the quality was at a far higher level than today.

Very Nice! Could you describe how the sizing compares the MacNeil? If I'm a 10.5 B in the MacNeil, would you recommend staying with the same size in vintage Florsheim?

Thanks!
I think the size is remarkably similar between the two. A previous pair of MacNeils were tight across the vamp of my right foot and this pair felt exactly the same. I normally have shoes stretched a bit and I did so with the Florsheim last night with my handy vamp stretcher. Now they fit very nicely. I would go with the 10.5B if you were considering a pair.

RTD1

Reaction score

This is bicycle toe stitching...

Here's AE's only bicycle toe shoe offering at the moment...

You see nothing but bad things about it because it's ugly as all hell. I don't even believe that's a subjective opinion. Very, very few people find them aesthetically pleasing.

Not to mention that 90% of the black square toed cheap shoes worn by the masses are bicycle toe.

DapperDriver

Reaction score
In the market for an inexpensive pair of boots for foul weather duty. I assumed I'd be getting some cheap Target chukkas, but at $107 Freiburg seconds seem like a decent option.

Agree / disagree?

whodey14

Reaction score

Not to mention that 90% of the black square toed cheap shoes worn by the masses are bicycle toe.

I have always thought they were hideous and in abundance. Didn't realize it was an universally hated style.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You got that right.
Your first guess see above.
Brogue cap toe and the second one you guessed
I wish it was shell. I think it's a good price for a calf that is a limited production run. I just don't know how it fits into my wardrobe. Other shoes will be on sale as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing a navy Cornwalis.
I had hoped to get a navy Weybridge before the MTO program was cancelled.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the market for an inexpensive pair of boots for foul weather duty. I assumed I'd be getting some cheap Target chukkas, but at $107 Freiburg seconds seem like a decent option.

Agree / disagree?

If they had rubber on the soles I would totally agree. If your talking REALLY foul weather there is the Sturgis at $167 (1st) $127 (2nd), but at that point, I would just get a Redwing Beckman 2nd.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ugh! Whenever I see the ones you mentioned, I think "What is it with these people and ducks."

DapperDriver

Reaction score

If they had rubber on the soles I would totally agree.  If your talking REALLY foul weather there is the Sturgis at $167 (1st) $127 (2nd), but at that point, I would just get a Redwing Beckman 2nd.

Not terrible weather, just the long walk from the parking lot to the office door in a Florida storm. It's usually enough for me to get the soles and uppers of my shoes good and wet. So far I haven't done any lasting damage, but it'd be nice not to worry at all.

I believe the Freiburgs have a v-tread sole.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So as I'm about to put on my third different pair of shoes in the same day, I was wondering, what's the most pair of shoes you have worn in a day? I'm going on pair at work (McCalister), gym (boat shoes), after gym (different boat shoes), and if I go out tonight it'll be a fourth pair. Mini hurricane winds and the fact I work tomorrow will probably keep me at 3 pairs today.

whodey14

Reaction score

So as I'm about to put on my third different pair of shoes in the same day, I was wondering, what's the most pair of shoes you have worn in a day?  I'm going on pair at work (McCalister), gym (boat shoes), after gym (different boat shoes), and if I go out tonight it'll be a fourth pair.  Mini hurricane winds and the fact I work tomorrow will probably keep me at 3 pairs today.

3 for me, 2 dress shoes and 1 pair of nikes. Uncommon to do more than 2 in a day however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads