Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

You got that right.

Your first guess see above.

Brogue cap toe and the second one you guessed

I wish it was shell. I think it's a good price for a calf that is a limited production run. I just don't know how it fits into my wardrobe. Other shoes will be on sale as well.

2. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

Brogue cap toe in midnight blue. Hmm, what is the approx price?

3. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Sub 300

4. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

Only leather bottoms on either I'm assuming?

5. flaminiom

flaminiom Active Member

They said chili. I gave them the style number. It looks black to me. Wonder if it's because this isn't a standard chili or something.

It looks like oxblood shoes are the same combo as these burnished chilis and they recommend black. Probably try that.

6. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

There is a brown grain pair on eBay for a good price that is in prestige condition. Temptation......

7. tkebh979

tkebh979 Senior member

[​IMG]

Sunny and 75

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. M2511

M2511 Senior member

So I just received what is my 3rd pair of Merlot McAllisters originally purchased during the anniversary sale. Please tell me if I am being too picky because I'm about to send these back yet again. Frankly about to the point where I don't even want them due to the headache.
    [​IMG]
    I couldn't quite get a picture showing how its actually a cut in the leather rather than something I could just buff out.
    [​IMG]
    Then the edge is stained with this which I admit this I can just put black edge dressing on and likely cover up.

These are firsts. Am I crazy to return these? If it was just the edge spot I'd tolerate but that cut isn't getting better on the front with age... Otherwise the shoes appear to be fine. Thoughts?

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  9. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

If those were mine, I would keep them.

10. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

If you want color dye on everything when you just start wearing them (that is if you buy unsanforized) and like the feel of rubbing sand paper on your legs, go for it :) Seriously, I enjoy them much more than regular jeans.

11. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I would keep them.

12. M2511

M2511 Senior member

My concern is that cut in the leather. I'm attaching another shot that shoes it a bit better. Not a big deal?

[​IMG]

13. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

That picture shows it much more accurately. I see why you're concerned.

Mmm, that's borderline. Since those were 1sts, I would probably return them. If those were 2nds, I would definitely keep them.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  14. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

I'm not super-picky, so my initial reaction is to say, "keep them." However, they're your shoes. Not to put myself in your shoes, but since you asked, I'm going to. The edge dressing portion is nothing at all to be concerned about. Is it sloppy? Sure, but sloppy isn't just for seconds. The cut, on the other hand, doesn't look damaging and is the kind of thing that would eventually happen to your shoe anyway in normal wear and tear, especially if you're out there kicking ass and taking names. Put a touch of polish on it and consider it a badge of honor. Tell people it happened during a street fight with James Van Der Beek and his Dawson's Creek Posse. Hey, we lie enough to our spouses/girlfriends/significant others about how much we spend on these things, so why not continue the lies to their logical conclusion?

Here's what it comes down to for me: You can return them and hope that the fourth time is a charm and pray some of your disappointment subsides while you wait for replacements. But, I think that's a gamble, and a gamble that leaves you McAllister-less in the interim. Who wants that? You can return them outright and get your money back, but you should only do that if there's another AE shoe that's whispering sweet nothings in your ear at night. But, it's got to be something super-sexy, because the McAllister is hot enough as it is. Or, you can keep them. But, if you're going to feel the disappointment, regret, and shame that generally comes from a night out of drinking copiously and making passes and low-grade ladies every time you look at these McAllisters, then it's not worth it. Move on, man. Move on. Life is too short and there are too many other awesome pairs of AEs out there to get hung up on.

Just my $.02. Take it for what it's worth.

15. M2511

M2511 Senior member

Haha excellent literary work here. I agree about the edging. The cut is the one that could keep me up at night. I work in an office and generally my AEs don't make it out crime fighting. Being McAllister-less has left me feeling sad but after all this time what is another 1.5 weeks. I have oxblood carlyles on the way to carry me over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.