• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Baller. From which vendor?

No one yet, just starting to free up funds to make a move on it soon. Might have to be a MTO, probably through Gentlemens Footwear

Which one for the shaft? And which last? (I lust after the mahogany cc/clove version Leffot has. Or, you know, the shell/Utah MTO they have up. Just need to check the couch cushions for a spare $2500).

Back to AE - I've been wanting the Sheltons in Walnut/Brown forever, but they only ever had black/burgundy on Shoebank in my size. I might need to bite the bullet even though I said I was done until fall.

Haha yeah the shell/utah is insane, would have been awesome to combine my love of galway and shell into one boot.

Walnut CC for the shaft, dainite soles and 82 last, just need to start with a classic for my first pair.

bathiel

Reaction score
Noticed that Sheltons popped up on Clearance, thought these were gone for good? 511 last and I'm a little tempted. Any thoughts?

I've got a pair of the ones in your top photo. Really like them and their versatility. The only caution is that I've found them to be a little tight across the top of my foot (high instep), so the v-gap was initially a little bigger than I'd like. But it's narrowing as I break them in.

Bernie

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see the Sturgis 2.0 on clearance at $167 - for 1st quality. Now I'm interested at less than half price - Fall isn't too far away.

Chris

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the consensus of the 201 last vs the 65 last for those of you that have 201 lasted shoes? 9E seems to fit me best on the 65 last after spending an hour trying on different shoes at an AE store this weekend. I'm looking at the 201 last and I'm not sure if I should go with 9D or 9E. The 201 is supposed to be a little larger and forgiving but they did not have any in my size to try on in store (this has to be killing store sales).
I own a pair of Hopkinsons and tried on a pair of Rogues, both on the 201, one a bal the other a derby. The Hopkinsons feel just a tad bit long and wide compared to the 65. The Rogues had wayyyy too much volume, plenty more than even the Hopkinson. I would try going down a width.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi gents,I'm wondering how much space on a V-gap on bals can be reduced after the shoe fully break in. I know it varies shoe to shoe,but on calfskin 5 last models, have you experienced a 1/4-1/2 inch difference before-after?

I have several 65 lasted bals, the McAllister, Strand and Park Avenue. They all started with maybe just a tad bit more than a 1/2" at the top of the v-gap and now I'm almost contemplating changing to bar lacing as they are almost completely shut after break in.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a pair of Hopkinsons and tried on a pair of Rogues, both on the 201, one a bal the other a derby. The Hopkinsons feel just a tad bit long and wide compared to the 65. The Rogues had wayyyy too much volume, plenty more than even the Hopkinson. I would try going down a width.

So you'd suggest staying with the same length 9 but down a width. I have warwicks from BB but I dont think those are a very good indicator of how laceups will feel. In fact I have those in 9.5d.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So you'd suggest staying with the same length 9 but down a width. I have warwicks from BB but I dont think those are a very good indicator of how laceups will feel. In fact I have those in 9.5d. 

That's my experience. I have a low arch and a narrow foot (12 B), so I struggle to fill shoes up in general. The 5 last is perfect for me, while the 201 is essentially the 5 last shape, but for people with a higher instep.

Were you thinking a bal or a derby? As another person suggested, order a few different sizes and see what works best. If I was just going to order two, it would be my 5 last (which for me is my brannock) and a width smaller, but same length.

Last edited:

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up the Sturgis when it was $50 higher (whoops). Love it to pieces. Great rainy-weather boot, and as such it's getting plenty of time in rotation right now here in MD/DC.

Anyone know if they'll offer even a store credit in the difference if i just bought 'em a couple weeks ago? Figure it can't hurt to ask right? ;)

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I picked up the Sturgis when it was $50 higher (whoops). Love it to pieces. Great rainy-weather boot, and as such it's getting plenty of time in rotation right now here in MD/DC.

Anyone know if they'll offer even a store credit in the difference if i just bought 'em a couple weeks ago? Figure it can't hurt to ask right? ;)

You could also check your credit card policy on price protection.

CptStern

Reaction score
Also, for those of you who own the Wilbert, did it fit you in your usual sizes

Most of my shoes are a 10.5D, some 10.5E Most, including the Wilbert fit great in D, a couple lasts are a little tight but definitely not the Wilbert. None of my shoes are on the popular 5 last as I can't find a size to fit.

I would order your normal size.

nbj08

Reaction score

What is the consensus of the 201 last vs the 65 last for those of you that have 201 lasted shoes? 9E seems to fit me best on the 65 last after spending an hour trying on different shoes at an AE store this weekend. I'm looking at the 201 last and I'm not sure if I should go with 9D or 9E. The 201 is supposed to be a little larger and forgiving but they did not have any in my size to try on in store (this has to be killing store sales). 

I have a moderately high instep, and the 201 fits me perfectly. In the 65, I have to go up a half size in length to get the right fit. For me, a half size in width is too wide in a 65.

My Bartletts (201) are 10.5D (my brannock).
My McAllisters (65) in 10.5D are painful on my instep.
My PAs and Strands (65) are 11D.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some great snaps today. Here's my contribution, Rutledges in brown:

Pants raised so u can admire my polka dot sox.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a moderately high instep, and the 201 fits me perfectly. In the 65, I have to go up a half size in length to get the right fit. For me, a half size in width is too wide in a 65.

My Bartletts (201) are 10.5D (my brannock).
My McAllisters (65) in 10.5D are painful on my instep.
My PAs and Strands (65) are 11D.

I'll take the advice of just ordering 2 then. I was looking at balmorals and derby style which is a little more forgiving on the instep. 9E fits well for me on Strands and McAllisters so I think I'll go 9E & 9D. Seeing the shannon drive go on clearance makes me regret not getting the suede neumok....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads