• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buster Brown

Reaction score

Are there ever any deals on recrafting? I have a pair of McTavish that need new soles. It would be $125 via AE or I can buy a pair of seconds from the shoe bank for $147.

Unfortunately, no. Somewhere, I think it was a Reddit AMA, the CEO explained that they consider Recrafting to be an exceptional value and therefore have no plans to discount it. When compared to the cost of full, or even 'normally' discounted, retail I suppose that's true. When compared to prices at ShoeBank, BCF, eBay, etc. it becomes a bit more complicated. I recently sold 2 pairs I was planning to have Recrafted and replaced them with new shoes acquired at steep discounts. On the other hand, recrafting my shell shoes was a no brainer.

FaRKle

Reaction score
However, I've never gotten over the sensation that they are slightly large. When I cinch the laces down to my satisfaction, the facings seem awfully close together. Less than a 0.5" gap. I've worn them a half dozen times or so now, and I fear I am beyond the possibility of exchanging them. I wouldn't even know what size to request if I could. Is there anything you would recommend at this point? I was thinking maybe some insoles would help me fill out the shoe a bit more. Thoughts?

The MacNeil is a bit tricky to fit IMO. To me it has a very pronounced arch that kind of pulls your foot forward away from the heel, but the toe box is short and narrow (due to the steep taper), even though the ball of the shoe has a good amount of width. I find the heel of the MacNeil to be decently wide too such that it didn't grip my foot very well.

It sounds like you might need to keep an 8.5 in length, but go down in width. When you tried the 8D, was the only part that was tight the toe box? If the width in the ball of the foot to the heel felt fine, you'll probably want to try a C width to get rid of a bit of the volume in the waist of the shoe.

Last edited:

HoldenMI

Reaction score
I don't think you're being unreasonable. Usually the V-tread/combo tap sole has a different model number (for example the park ave is 5615 but with the combo tap sole is 5616). If you look at your receipt the model number should match what you got. Does the shoe that you received with a leather sole (that's supposed to be Dainite) have a standard offering that comes in leather? If so, you can probably check the model number on that too and call back and say "I ordered model numbers # and # but received # and # erroneously."
Thanks! They are different numbers than what I ordered. I ordered the brown country grain Macneils, which are only available with a Dainite sole and they came with a leather sole. I also ordered dark chili MacNeils with the butyl leather sole and they came with vtread tap soles.

Suggestions? Just call tomorrow and hope to get a nicer customer service rep?

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! They are different numbers than what I ordered. I ordered the brown country grain Macneils, which are only available with a Dainite sole and they came with a leather sole. I also ordered dark chili MacNeils with the butyl leather sole and they came with vtread tap soles.

Suggestions? Just call tomorrow and hope to get a nicer customer service rep?

If its not too much trouble for you, I would skip calling them directly and speak to the Sales Manager at the AE Store that you mentioned in person. Tell them (politely) of what happened when you called the CAC, and of your displeasure with your treatment in light of AE's reputation for customer service. I realize its not the fault of the store (its the CAC), but my guess is they will call the CAC for you and get things squared away right quick. Clearly if they sent you different model #'s than what you order the fault lies with them. Bring the shoes, 1) they should take care of the shipping, 2) they may replace them on the spot if they have inventory, i.e. upgrade you to firsts for your inconvenience.

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have tried buying a size 1/2 size down with an increased width, did the shoes actually fit you okay?

Yes, but it depends on the shoe. Also, I try my best to "sample" as many pairs of the same model in the "proper" size, since sometimes there is enough variance that I find a better fit within the same size. <-- Hope that makes sense.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but it depends on the shoe. Also, I try my best to "sample" as many pairs of the same model in the "proper" size, since sometimes there is enough variance that I find a better fit within the same size. <-- Hope that makes sense.
Thanks!

I actually think I should have gotten a 7.5 E for the Wilbert instead of the 8.5 D. The 8.5 is really comfy, but the shoe feels a little large. I am interested in the Clark Street shoes in 7.5 E (my normal size is 8D). I am just a little paranoid they will offer an 8D Clark shoe the day after I purchase an 8E. Shoes do randomly pop up on there after I thought they were extinct. Oh well, I guess I could return if that happens. I kind of wish I would have purchased the Clark instead of the Wilbert, if the Clark fits like the Lasalle does.

Uncle

Reaction score

For those of you who have tried buying a size 1/2 size down with an increased width, did the shoes actually fit you okay?
Yes the two pairs fit o.k. I take a 10 C in the 65 last, however the Indy Bartlett doesn't come in a C width, so tried a 9 1/2 D which fit well & felt great out of the box. The 9 1/2 Strandmocks are a bit roomier in the D width, but with a closed V gap, work o.k. The Bartlett was the better fit. (Tough being a C !)

Canadianguy

Reaction score

Would anyone be interested in these 8.5D cappuccino shell Bayfield MTO? Just an interest check since they might be on the chopping block in favor of something else to fill a void in my collection.
Must be something pretty special you want to replace these with. I remember you posting that these are your favorite AE's.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Must be something pretty special you want to replace these with. I remember you posting that these are your favorite AE's.

It's probably a Galway.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gents, I have a question on the finish on newer calf skin.  I bought the Leidens when they first came out and just bought the Cornwallis.  Leiden in Walnut and Cornwallis in brown, has anyone experienced the finish peeling off?  Its almost like the leather underneath is lighter in color. 

Yeah, the new finishing spray is obnoxious and tends to peel. I've had decent results rubbing conditioner around the peeling area and hitting it with some polish.
Are there ever any deals on recrafting? I have a pair of McTavish that need new soles. It would be $125 via AE or I can buy a pair of seconds from the shoe bank for $147.

Have you tried a local cobbler? Mine charges $70 after tax for a full resole.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For most shoes, I wear a 13B. I've tried the 12D in some styles, and the fit was only a little different. In the 108 last, I think a 12 1/2 C would be perfect (instead of my usual 13B), but that is not a size that they make.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bourbon Daltons against Walter Reed's gubmint flooring...and no, no cuff. They look ridiculous with this pair of jeans.

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Completely agree with ace on this one. I'll give you my own example - I've tried on enough 65s at this point. My measured size is 7.5C. For 65s I mainly go with 7D. I've tried a 6.5E in both a balmoral and a blucher and they definitely both could work, but I'm a little further forward than I would prefer. I actually own a BB Strand in an 8B - with the poron and going up in length and down in width, it seemed to work as well as (if not better than) a 7D for a balmoral. To this day I'm still not a fan of the blucher fit - I'd probably love a 7C which they don't have. If I could get my hands on a 7B I'd love to see how that was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads