• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use shoe trees from Nordstrom Rack? Did you go with same size as the ones from Jos Bank/AE? It appears that our beloved Jos Bank no longer sells trees.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My brand new AE came in today and one shoe has this odd crease. Does this look like a defect or will a crease like this form naturally anyway?
That's a normal ceasing area where the stiffener on that area of the shoe ends. I wouldn't sweat it, looks like they've been tried on and walked around the house a little.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use shoe trees from Nordstrom Rack? Did you go with same size as the ones from Jos Bank/AE? It appears that our beloved Jos Bank no longer sells trees.

I buy Woodlore shoe trees at Nordstrom Rack. They are the same shoe trees sold by AE, except that they are "seconds". You should buy the same size because they are the same shoe trees.

The important thing to remember is after you plant the shoes trees, you have to be patient until the shoes grow to be the right size. If you pick the shoes too soon, the shoes will be too small.

Here's a picture of me buying Woodlore shoe tress at Nordstrom Rack and wearing Allen Edmonds shoes.

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I own several nordstrom shoe trees and they appear to consistent with the sizing of AE shoe trees. They are very fine imo. In fact, I'm 99% certain it's the same company that makes them for AE.

I was in a nordstrom rack several months ago and they were selling old stock nordstrom shoe trees for only $10-12 each. I should have bought them.

Sushi

Reaction score
That's a normal ceasing area where the stiffener on that area of the shoe ends. I wouldn't sweat it, looks like they've been tried on and walked around the house a little.
Hm, they're completely new, straight out of the box. I suppose it's no big deal if these would form eventually anyway.

basura ka

Reaction score

I'm no expert at predicting future prices, but I would snag the Chili 5th.  I have a feeling the Strandmok will be discounted at least $50 (i.e. its current price) in the future (probably as soon as this Fall).  Also, as a casual shoe, I personally wouldn't freak out by a small imperfection and would look for a second.  But that my comfort level, yours may be different.  

If I was going casual, I'd probably go all the way and get one of the suede Strandmoks, and I could see those easily going down to $195.

I ended up getting both.: Strandmok in Tan Leather and Fifth Ave in Dk Chili. Great, freaking shoes! I couldn't resist the $150 off of the retail for the Fifth Ave. I have it in Walnut although Seconds only - I know I know, had I waited I would've gotten it for cheaper and Firsts. The fit on the 65 last on the Fifth Ave is also way better than the Strand, for me atleast.
The Strandmok is just plainly awesome. Pairs very well with chinos and khakis. And, I don't know, but I tried it with a light blue pair of shorts and I think it works.
****! i literally just realized, I'm short on shoe trees. Damnit! This means if the 2 for $40 shoetrees sale is still going on I might end up with an extra pair of shoetrees... And who in here have extra shoetrees just lying around? Of course it would need to be functionally accompanied by, what else, a new pair of AEs
1f4a9.png

Last edited:

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They will probably repair or replace that for you, but I wouldn't treat the pull tab on the Daltons as functional. They aren't thick enough or stitched as securely as heavy duty boots.

Agreed. @Newberry, those are "decoration only." That said, if they were purchased thru AE, I'm pretty sure they'll fix it for you.

CMT1

Reaction score

It's amazing; bitter chocolate can go from looking like a really dark brown to an almost vibrant color that I would mistake for snuff or brogue suede in some lighting.

I'm hooked. I've built out my shoe closet pretty well these past two years but now I need more suede options. It just doesn't end. ::brick:

Oh wow, those look really good - with and without the noted color differences.  Yeah you wouldn't believe the difference.  I always tell people to watch out between calf leather & suede since it can matter a lot, and this is definitely the extreme example of it.  I think the stone suede was definitely the best of the 3 options.  We'll see how the tan saddle I have works out.

Good luck with the tan saddle, and also a serious thanks for the heads-up on the fitment differences. I make enough Internet shoe purchases to start paying extra attention to sizing opinions going forward, even if I own the same shoe in calf/shell/cxl/whatever.

Slobbin' out on this fine Saturday with the Concord Aves in full effect:

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm hooked. I've built out my shoe closet pretty well these past two years but now I need more suede options. It just doesn't end. ::brick:
Good luck with the tan saddle, and also a serious thanks for the heads-up on the fitment differences. I make enough Internet shoe purchases to start paying extra attention to sizing opinions going forward, even if I own the same shoe in calf/shell/cxl/whatever.

Slobbin' out on this fine Saturday with the Concord Aves in full effect:

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

They look great. I can't believe I have overlooked them. Just placed an order for the tan saddle, as they don't have any of the suedes.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My brand new AE came in today and one shoe has this odd crease. Does this look like a defect or will a crease like this form naturally anyway?
I would return those. Not only is that huge crease in an odd location, but the welt/edge finishing is among the sloppier work I've seen from AE. It's almost as if they didn't sand it down at all. And this is their flagship shoe!!

Last edited:

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hm, they're completely new, straight out of the box. I suppose it's no big deal if these would form eventually anyway.

How are you sure? Someone could've had them on to test them out and sent them back?

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Roycru I know this is a shoe thread but I very much like your jacket. Nice.

Thank you. It's a jacket I got at Brooks Brothers in the seventies. I usualy post pictures of my shoes on this thread and pictures of everything (including shoes) on the Classic Menswear "WAYWT" thread.

Here's another picture of the jacket and a different pair of Allen-Edmonds shoes taken on a rare (around here) rainy day. The shoes are brown grain Kiowas, which are Strands with split reverse welts and Vibram lug soles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics