Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Those are not 2nds, right? Your shoe looks similar to the creasing that happens on all of my left shoes around the ankle on the inside, but that crease is on the outside. Looks like a defect. I don't think that's going to disappear. You might return them if they are firsts. I personally don't think it looks terrible, but none of my firsts looked like that.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016

2. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Does anyone use shoe trees from Nordstrom Rack? Did you go with same size as the ones from Jos Bank/AE? It appears that our beloved Jos Bank no longer sells trees.

3. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

That's a normal ceasing area where the stiffener on that area of the shoe ends. I wouldn't sweat it, looks like they've been tried on and walked around the house a little.

4. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

I buy Woodlore shoe trees at Nordstrom Rack. They are the same shoe trees sold by AE, except that they are "seconds". You should buy the same size because they are the same shoe trees.

The important thing to remember is after you plant the shoes trees, you have to be patient until the shoes grow to be the right size. If you pick the shoes too soon, the shoes will be too small.

Here's a picture of me buying Woodlore shoe tress at Nordstrom Rack and wearing Allen Edmonds shoes.

[​IMG]

5. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

@Roycru I know this is a shoe thread but I very much like your jacket. Nice.

6. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

I own several nordstrom shoe trees and they appear to consistent with the sizing of AE shoe trees. They are very fine imo. In fact, I'm 99% certain it's the same company that makes them for AE.

I was in a nordstrom rack several months ago and they were selling old stock nordstrom shoe trees for only $10-12 each. I should have bought them.

7. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

@Roycru and &Lobster33 thank you!

8. Sushi

Sushi Member

Hm, they're completely new, straight out of the box. I suppose it's no big deal if these would form eventually anyway.

9. basura ka

basura ka Member

I ended up getting both.: Strandmok in Tan Leather and Fifth Ave in Dk Chili. Great, freaking shoes! I couldn't resist the $150 off of the retail for the Fifth Ave. I have it in Walnut although Seconds only - I know I know, had I waited I would've gotten it for cheaper and Firsts. The fit on the 65 last on the Fifth Ave is also way better than the Strand, for me atleast.
    The Strandmok is just plainly awesome. Pairs very well with chinos and khakis. And, I don't know, but I tried it with a light blue pair of shorts and I think it works.
    Shit! i literally just realized, I'm short on shoe trees. Damnit! This means if the 2 for $40 shoetrees sale is still going on I might end up with an extra pair of shoetrees... And who in here have extra shoetrees just lying around? Of course it would need to be functionally accompanied by, what else, a new pair of AEs [​IMG]

10. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Agreed. @Newberry, those are "decoration only." That said, if they were purchased thru AE, I'm pretty sure they'll fix it for you.

11. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

I'm hooked. I've built out my shoe closet pretty well these past two years but now I need more suede options. It just doesn't end. ::brick:

Good luck with the tan saddle, and also a serious thanks for the heads-up on the fitment differences. I make enough Internet shoe purchases to start paying extra attention to sizing opinions going forward, even if I own the same shoe in calf/shell/cxl/whatever.

Slobbin' out on this fine Saturday with the Concord Aves in full effect:

[​IMG]

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

12. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

They look great. I can't believe I have overlooked them. Just placed an order for the tan saddle, as they don't have any of the suedes.

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I would return those. Not only is that huge crease in an odd location, but the welt/edge finishing is among the sloppier work I've seen from AE. It's almost as if they didn't sand it down at all. And this is their flagship shoe!!

14. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

How are you sure? Someone could've had them on to test them out and sent them back?

15. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Thank you. It's a jacket I got at Brooks Brothers in the seventies. I usualy post pictures of my shoes on this thread and pictures of everything (including shoes) on the Classic Menswear "WAYWT" thread.

Here's another picture of the jacket and a different pair of Allen-Edmonds shoes taken on a rare (around here) rainy day. The shoes are brown grain Kiowas, which are Strands with split reverse welts and Vibram lug soles.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.