Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Welcome.

Just be careful on the sizing if you go to Nordstrom. They have often tried to sell me medium shoe trees when in fact, my size calls for small. Medium is much larger than the small size and can stretch the shoes too much.

2. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

What PC said. For new shoes, I would return; most of my AE calf shoes don't crease there anyway (only one Indy-line shoe has ever creased there for me). AE may offer to let you keep them at seconds pricing; I'd be borderline personally at that level but I think these would be reasonable as seconds.

3. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

PSA - massdrop has two pairs of woodlore epic trees in sale for $44 shipped. IMO these are vastly superior to the basic woodlore/JAB trees and that is a very good deal.

If you do go with the basic trees, I posted a DIY on adding knobs a few weeks ago ...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016

4. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

Can anyone advise what last the Madison Avenue is built on? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

222 last

6. Sushi

Sushi Member

Quote:
    Thanks for your feedback everyone. I'm going to return the shoes.

7. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

Thanks, that's what I thought. Strange because the Madison Avenue fits perfect in a 13D but the Madison Park is way to big in the same size. Odd stuff when it comes to AE shoes.

8. basura ka

basura ka Member

Links?
    The ae store ended up giving me a pair of shoe trees for $20. Pretty good deal IMHO. Top notch customer service.

9. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Original link is http://www.styleforum.net/t/518090/...ng-accessories-clothing-etc/2040#post_8363009
    Two important notes: http://www.styleforum.net/t/518090/...ng-accessories-clothing-etc/2040#post_8363025 and http://www.styleforum.net/t/518090/...ng-accessories-clothing-etc/2520#post_8381752

I'll re-post in a moment when I figure out how . . .

10. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Re-posting my DIY instructions for adding knobs to shoe trees; spoilered since they are repeat posts. Second spoiler contains a few notes, 3 are fairly important.
    I actually prefer these modified trees for boots; the position of the knob is just about right. Enjoy!

EDITED: for typo in spoiler name. Sheesh.

11. BennJeff

BennJeff New Member

Hey guys,

Just wanted to run a few questions past you AE experts. I'm attending a wedding in roughly a month's time and suppose I need some new shoes to go with my suit. Currently the only pair of AEs that I own are some orthotics that I picked up a few years ago at Nordstrom Rack for cheap when I needed some shoes quickly for a function. They are in the Chili color and I believe are known as the "Lake Forest" from 2013. They are a 9.5 D and I find that they fit quite comfortably. My question I suppose is what do you think my sizing would be in other AE lasts? My foot is generally pretty flat but I've never thought of it being all that wide. Several pairs of AE I have tried on seemed to be too narrow for me though. We have an AE outlet near us which is most likely where I will purchase my shoes so any last help is appreciated so I would know what to tell them should they need to order a pair for me from another store.

My 2nd question would be what AE colors do you guys think go well with a charcoal/dark charcoal suit? I know they classic would be black obviously, but black probably wouldn't fit into the rest of my wardrobe all that well. I'd prefer to find a shoe and color to wear with my suit but also that I would wear at other times with dark jeans or something since it's not everyday I have the need to wear a suit. Most people would probably tell me to just buy some beater shoes for the occasion but I have issues throwing money away on cheap shoes.

Cheers and thanks for any insight or help you can provide.

12. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Depending on what you are used to, properly-fitting shoes may initially feel tight. With that said, the last that the shoe is made on is important; I don't know the Lake Forest last offhand, but I think it's not one of the narrower lasts out there. The good news is that AE outlets are a perfect place to try on shoes; they will often have a wider range of sizes than retail stores.

Black is the easy choice, but I think you have some options. I really like Merlot with charcoal suits, and Chili (aka Bob's Chili or Dark Chili) goes with darn near everything. IMO, walnut goes with medium charcoal just fine, but isn't the most versatile color. AE's brown is pretty dark and I personally wouldn't pair it with charcoal (navy, on the other hand, would be perfect). If you're looking for one color that will serve many purposes, chili might be worth considering. Something like a 5th Avenue (if the last works for you), perhaps?

13. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

So if I was using M shoe trees on 8E or 8EE shoes, should I probably stop before I stretch them and get S trees instead?

14. Uncle

Uncle Well-Known Member

Merlot Hopkinsons,, Park Aves, or Shell cordovan #8 PAs. Some will say an Oxblood someting or other, but seem a bit too RED for my tastes.

15. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior member

Picked up some Walnut Carlyles online on the sale and tried a 13 as I was told that last runs long and lean (usually a true 12D or 12.5). It was a decent amount too big and so I went in to local AE store to try a 12. There you have it 12D it should have been. Picked up a visually stunning pair in a more caramely tone than the 13- and less burnishing.

The 13 showing my big toe with lots of room.

[​IMG]

Here are the 12s!
    [​IMG]
    Fit on the money. But one question of you all as I may try and take back. I believe the cork on the right shoe has a lump in it on ball of foot. It wasn't noticeable on carpet, but I stepped on my kitchen wood floor and it was very noticeable. Think it may be worth a return, even though I hate to turn away such pristine leather....any thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.