1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

Lasalle looks out of place when I wear jeans. I personally think the walnut Strand would be a better choice with jeans.

I'm not planning to buy anything for a while, but I am carefully looking at everything and trying to determine what my next one will be. Since I don't own any cap toes, it might be time to try to push my limits. The Hopkinson in merlot might be something I try. I also don't own anything in walnut yet.

2. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Both my Fifth Streets and Freiburgs rub my shin weird when going down stairs. Other than that they're fine.

3. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Sojourner you say? Give up on aesthetic grounds. That thing is fugly.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood from seeing so many bicycle toes against humanity at work today.

:cloud:

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Black shoes don't always mean formal, brosephi! On a boot, black is the most badass color there is. How many Hell's Angels do y'all see sporting walnut kicks? I think this makeup (black workboot with natural welt) is particularly BOSS: [​IMG] This one is shell: [​IMG] Yes, they're both (gasp) Alden, but no one does a black boot like they do. Embrace casual black. You'll be glad you did!

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    2 people like this.
  5. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

[​IMG]

Couldn't resist.

2 people like this.
  6. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

OK A-E gents, a quandary.

I got a pair of AE Cavanaugh navy suede penny loafers from the shoe bank. Wore them in the house for a day and they felt OK so then took them outside. Today is my second day of 'proper' wear and they are a nightmare. They make my toes feel very cramped in the front, yet they bow when I walk and yet the heel slips at the back. I've tried barefoot, thin socks, thick socks, insoles, heel pads and all combinations of the above and nothing seems to mitigate this weird fit. They are size 8.5 D which is the same size I have in several other AEs of various lasts. It's killing me as they are a great looking shoe.

Being that the soles now have the minimal scuffing you'd expect from a couple of days in the wild, what are the odds that I can send these in to AE for an exchange? Am I now screwed with AE? If so does anyone want to buy an almost brand new pair? If I can exchange them what would your recommendation be? I would guess I need a half size longer i.e. 9, but a narrower throat (do they even come narrower than D?)

Any advice, pearls of wisdom, purchase offers, or humorous piss taking will be much appreciated - cheers, TWD.

7. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

8. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    The shell shoes are certainly looser than the same shoe on the same last in calf. They just can't pull the shell as tightly as the calf. It does not make me alter the size of the shoe I order, but I do know they fit me better than calf.

9. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Quote:Would you say that balances the fact that shell essentially does not stretch?

10. Lobster33

Lobster33 Senior member

[​IMG]

11. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

These Brown Crackle Pine Rivers at $24.99 are the lowest I've ever seen at a BCF. Wonder what AE recrafting can do with them.

[​IMG]

12. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Excluding other brands sort of skews this toward more casual for me but here are my Top 7 (+8) AE's. It's sort of a mix between "favorite" as in a "I really love wearing these" and frequency of wear, though there's a lot of overlap in that Venn diagram.

1. Cambridge (burg shell)
    2. Jefferson (1.0) (brown calf)
    3. Maritime (CXL - both red and navy)
    4. Long Branch (Golden Brown CXL)
    4. (tie) McGraw (Truffle shell)
    6. Black Hills (walnut)
    6. (tie) Clark Street (natural CXL)
    8. Eagle Country (merlot, GMTO)
    9. Macneil (walnut grain)
    10. Sanderson (brown, RL x AE)
    11. Singleton (tan, RL x AE)
    12. Heritage (walnut & bone, MTO (normal sole))
    13. Sauk Drive ("russet" a/k/a red)(I wear the heck out of these, though I get mad how much better AE could have made this boot)
    14. Strand (walnut)
    15. Neumok (snuff suede)

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  13. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@thinwhiteduke You guys are killing me with the Cavanaugh stories - if everyone agrees to stop buying them maybe the 114 will finally go away.

Here's my surprised look [​IMG]. I have the same damn problem. The 114 is just short, as in the shortest they come. Going up the half size and down the width sounds logical, except you're talking c width, which isn't an option. Up the length without the width is usually too big for me. Having got them from shoebank I think you're sol, but at a minimum, don't get anymore 114 stuff without trying them first. Hope I didn't sound too harsh, I just have dealt with a lot of 114 frustration myself.

14. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@RichieP Yeah I know what you mean about bicycle toes, but for a sneaker I think it actually looks kind of cool. For a dress shoe hell no. The other thing I see a ton are elongated chisel toes, probably what turns me off of the 333 so much.

15. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

I posted this on another forum, but figured I'd repost here for more opinions:

I remember getting measured at a shoe store years back as a 10D. Sometimes 10D works, sometimes 10.5D, sometimes 10E. On a lark decided to buy a Brannock off eBay.

Right Foot: 10D, Arch Length - 11.5
    Left Foot: 9.5D, Arch Length - 11

Now, it's pretty common for one foot to be a half size larger than the other, and I always suspected this was the case, but the arch length really threw me. What does this mean exactly? That my feet are long for my toes or my toes are short for my feet or something? I can't imagine actually getting an 11 or 11.5 shoe, as I sometimes get heel slip even with a 10.5D or 10E despite them fitting better in the toes than a 10D.

16. ZheNewYork

ZheNewYork Well-Known Member

I've learned that most people have longer heel-to-ball(arch length) than their heel-to-toe(foot length), and your shoe size should be the longer of the two. In your case the shoe is 1.5 size shorter than your arch, so your foot flex further toward the widest part of the shoe, and that will cause your foot tired easily and discomfort... Heel slippage is not necessarily a length issue... too much volume in your shoes, the heel is too wide, etc.

17. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I wear my walnut Strands with jeans all the time.

If you are looking for a stitch cap, the Hopkinson is your answer. The Indy line is just incredible and the 201 last makes them feel like slippers with that buttery soft leather that they use. I got a practically brand new pair of ebay for $85.

If you are looking for something walnut, the pricing on Strands right now is ridiculous. I also think the McAllister is a great walnut shoe.

18. M2511

M2511 Senior member

If this is true I might have to do this.... I don't foresee them being better priced than that. Problem is I just ordered the blue strands and I don't want to join the hiding shoes at the office club just yet.... My to purchase list is Walnut Strands, Cornwallis in brown or chili, a brown suede wingtip or strand, and a casual suede loafer. Eventually shell.....

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  19. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

I put my pants on just like the rest of you. One leg at a time. Except once my pants are on, I put on oxblood. (seriously waited all night to post that haha) [​IMG]

20. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

As Do I. I really want the mctavish, longbranch or the saddle in gray. I love those.

We have similar taste. I also ordered the blue stand and have walnut strands, brown and chili Cornwallis. Haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.