Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Why would you initially try to size up if you knew ahead of time the last ran long?

2. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

If you're wanting to keep that pair, I'd call customer service and see what they say.

I had a run of AEs with lumpy footbed. Some were returned immediately, others were kept and eventually broke in. The last time it happened, CAC told me to wear them a few times to see if it settled and if it didn't they'd replace or refund.

3. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

I think you'll probably be fine. I checked the size chart on my nordstrom shoe trees and it says 8E uses M.

I use a M for my 8.5 D Wilbert and it fits fine without stretching. But for the rest of my shoes, I use S (in 8D size). If I put the M in the 8D, the shoe looks and feels it it is being stretched too much. Because your shoes are wider than mine, the M should not stretch your shoes too much. When it doubt, just follow the chart. I have noticed several times the employees hand me a M for my 8D size and I have to ask them to please give me a S instead.

You can see below that for Nordstrom shoe trees, they recommend M, but AE recommends S for 8E.

Nordstrom size guide:
    [​IMG]

AE size guide:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  4. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

I wouldn't sweat it unless the lump is massive. I've had this happen on one pair and the cork compressed just fine; several SAs I asked said the same thing at the time.
    Never a bad idea to email AE or call your SA just to register the problem (officially or not), but if you are otherwise happy with the shoes I would keep.

5. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior member

Based on some comments on here about going up a size helping with placement of the flex point at the ball of the foot. So long meaning it tapers not that it runs "big." For example I have a 3 last shoe (Hanover that is a 12 and would work better for me in a 12.5 or 13. In the end apples, oranges and bananas and I knew I could go size correctly once I got back in town as I traveled for the whole April sale.

6. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

So true about the tan strandmok...these things look awesome with jeans...might just be the perfect daytime lace up casual shoe.

7. tmchow

tmchow Senior member

I had exact same thing on my Neumoks but on both shoes. It's dead center on the ball of the foot.

I didn't notice it until I left my house and walked outside.

I figured it was expected and it would compress and wear down. Not the case?

8. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior member

Yea it seems results may vary. After wearing them in the kitchen for a few minutes making dinner it started to bug me a bit. Calling tomorrow for advice.

9. SimplyStylin

SimplyStylin Senior member

10. basura ka

basura ka Member

Here it is folks. Fifth Ave in Dk Chili. Just picked it up yesterday. Pretty exciting for me :)

[​IMG]

Right next to the Lexington, just for comparison:
    [​IMG]

And right next to the Fifth Ave in Walnut:
    [​IMG]
    The walnut is 2nds. Most likely due to the brogueing on the right shoe (the holes aren't centered). Not a biggie for me. Love them both.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  11. jrs311

jrs311 Well-Known Member

Family polishing and photo (not pictured: gridiron and oxblood mcgregor)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Love this shot!

13. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Senior member

Going to the Costa Mesa store today to see if they have the Cheetah. I'm curious as to what they look like in real life.

14. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Dark Chili fifth avenues are the shoes you are looking for.

15. Uncle

Uncle Well-Known Member

I had the same difficulty matching the Tan Color Strandmocks ( w/Diannite Soles). Even the AE SP in NYC who assisted with the sale couldn't find a match. However, as one who is not ashamed to look in discount stores, I did find a Timberland brand wide belt at a TJ Max that was almost a perfect match. Hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.