• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since the previous poster brought up polishing, I figured I'd post this here to see if maybe someone has some ideas.

I bought the Aschers not long ago. Wore them a few times. As with most AEs, they're shipped relatively dry and dull and after a few wearings had some scuffs, so I decided to polish them. I used the AE light brown shoe creme and started on the vamps of the one shoe. Something didn't look right so I immediately removed the polish. Now the vamp on that shoe is way lighter than the rest of the shoe or the other shoe. Then in a panic I used some darker brown polish which, well, turned it dark brown. I then tried to remove that with cleaner/conditioner and then with rubbing alcohol. Anyway, the net result is that the toe box now has a quite rich color which I kinda like more than the factory bourbon though it doesn't match the other shoe, but there are also two dark lines that I can't seem to get rid of.

I'm hoping I didn't wear through the finish (holding it at an angle I don't see any irregularities in the reflection so I think that's a good sign). But assuming I can't correct it exactly, I'm thinking about using it to create a sort of patina effect and then trying to replicate on the other shoe. Though I'm open to other ideas.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure if you have considered it but I use the AE Premium Shoe polish in the respective color in this case Bourbon (correct me if wrong here) as the cream of sorts. To give it the shine I follow it up with neutral wax as the premium shoe polish typically leaves me with more of a dulled effect.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any time you want to be the sexiest beast in whatever room you're in. At least for oxblood. Walnut isn't quite as sexy, but you'll still be sexier than anyone not wearing oxblood Warwicks. Fancy dinners, evenings out; the Warwick can do anything and go anywhere you don't need a tux or a dark suit.

+1000

3lilnags

Reaction score

Greetings everyone. First post and I wanted to get some opinions regarding the Annual Sale if you all don't mind. I've had my eye on some strands for a while but seeing the McAllister on sale I'm wondering if I should just pull the trigger on those in either dark chili or merlot. Current AE shoes consist of Park Ave (in Brown Antibe, Black, Oxblood), 5th Ave (in Bourbon), and McTavish (dark brown though they aren't exactly dark). Based on what I already own what do you all think? Wait for the RDA sale in October and hope for strands to hit sale or get McAllister now at $295? I prefer the strands but maybe I'm too conservative here and should branch out into the wingtip world (McTavish aside as I use them on the casual side of things with jeans/chinos). Thanks! 

Wait a few days until the Nordstrom sale comes out, as they may have some different models on sale or similar models at a bigger discount (both of which AE will match).

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@SLCRich Take the patriot, and do what Willy wonka would say (strike that, reverse it) and you have the Grayson. Narrow toe but extends out in width from the front to the back. Heel is on the wide side. Very forgiving fit, heel slip diminishes over time if you can dial in on your size. Highly recommended. I like them much more than most others. Only shell I own is an Adams (similar).

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@SLCRich Take the patriot, and do what Willy wonka would say (strike that, reverse it) and you have the Grayson. Narrow toe but extends out in width from the front to the back. Heel is on the wide side. Very forgiving fit, heel slip diminishes over time if you can dial in on your size. Highly recommended. I like them much more than most others. Only shell I own is an Adams (similar).

Same size as Patriot or did you size down? My Patriots fit real nice at 9d

NorseHorse

Reaction score

Any time you want to be the sexiest beast in whatever room you're in. At least for oxblood. Walnut isn't quite as sexy, but you'll still be sexier than anyone not wearing oxblood Warwicks. Fancy dinners, evenings out; the Warwick can do anything and go anywhere you don't need a tux or a dark suit.

I love the look and have tried to sell myself in the Warwick. I just can't pull them off. I will say that my chili macs I have on today definitely give me a confidence boost!

Captain Insano

Reaction score
No AE today for the first time this week, but thought I would post these vintage USA made Dexter Wingtip longboats I found on ebay for cheap, $47 shipped.

I was going to use them as beaters but they are really growing on me and are competing with my AE time.

srolaser

Reaction score
Suggestions/Opinions please:

I wear 1 last shoes such as Leeds, Bradley, Dalton in 15 D.

I am considering a McGregor second from the shoe bank which is a 5 last...a longer last.

Would you think a 14E would make sense or a 15D?

Thanks.

S

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@M2511Ick...so much 65. I'd probably pick up the McAllister if you really want it now. Usually the Rda features a few things but if the McAllister isn't one of them, the discount won't be that great.

surprised no one commented on the fact that the anniversary & rda are now 1sts only. Believe I haven't seen that before.

Is this true?
I thought we might have to wait a day (or two) for the sale to "officially" start.

Uncle

Reaction score
I just bought some Stamdmocks on Monday, and the SA gavee the 245 price. Once I figure out this picture posting thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads