Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

For some reason, I read that as "a weekend vacation sandwiched between two pork chops."

I must be tired. Or hungry. Or both.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016

2. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Is this a trick question?

:hide:

3. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@RichieP I wouldn't feel too bad about not picking up a pair. The 2592 is a real pain in the ass - I find the shoes sort of resemble the same shape but have a ton of variation from style to style. I'm happy to see the 555 get some expanded use. If you don't already have a maritime, I recommend it, its better in every way (although it doesn't have that sort of vintage look).

4. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

FYI - sale prices are up. Someone mentioned the Shreveport earlier about it probably going to clearance after this. Interesting the Walton is on this too, bet that would follow suit and go to clearance also. Just wanted to mention it in case it wasn't on people's radar - I picked up a pair of 1sts on a whim a long time ago - not my look at all but they are extremely comfortable, almost no break-in.

5. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

They bumped all their regular prices $10 from $385 to $395 in the last week or so. I remember in 2013 they were $345. A $50 increase in under 3 years is a bitter pill to swallow.

6. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

They've been $395 for a few months now...but I agree...also, it may just be me, but the Anniversary sale is noticeably less impressive/expansive this year, in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016

7. gm928

gm928 Senior member

Watch out for pricing anomalies during the sale. I just noticed that Fifth Street boots are on sale for $295 (firsts) on the main AE website, but seconds are still priced at $299 on the Shoebank.

8. DapperDriver

DapperDriver Well-Known Member

:)Prices went up after the February sales, IIRC. Agree w/ the $50 retail bump being harsh, but as long as sale prices on firsts stay under $300 I'm ok.

My experience with my shoe bank seconds has soured me on that route. Lots of defects on the pair of McGregors I purchased that were not apparent until after the third or fourth wear. Asked the SA about a return, was told they're all normal, including vein shadows causing wrinkles so bad on the vamp that I can't get them to hold polish. That entire piece of leather is probably the worst I've seen on any AE shoes.

EDIT: Spoke to the Customer Assistance Center via e-mail and in person, they said the photos provided show defective leather. The shoes are on their way back to AE. Sounds like they're going to take care of the situation. :slayer:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016

9. RTD1

RTD1 Senior member

I'm thinking about picking up a pair of the Lake Forests in Black (already have Aschers in Bourbon) as I tend to wear sport coats and trousers almost exclusively to work these days and like slip ons since I'm always flying somewhere.

The MKEs caught my eye awhile ago, but they look too much like the slip on Bostonians and Rockports that all the other schlubs are wearing, and I prefer a traditional penny.

Thoughts on the LF?

10. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Agreed. I will consider whether I want a Carlyle or Fifth Street, but nothing so enticing that I feel compelled. Which is just as well, I suppose. I was hoping the Independence collection would be on sale, so I could see how I feel about the revamp.

Boone at $195 is a great price, but what happened to the piping? I get irrationally worried about fraying. Also, the last is pretty blobby. But the suede is luxe.

11. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I thought the same thing, though there are a couple of things I might take a look at. Nothing too exciting, though, all in all. Anything I want will probably also be on sale at RDA.

12. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Work life during the Masters. Ascher in oxblood. These are such a good fit.
    [​IMG]

13. matwa

matwa Senior member

Black Hills Walnut Saddle Waxy Leather - breaking in nicely

[​IMG]

14. harlequin782

Yeah...that was my thought verbatim last night after I got my catalogue from my mailbox and combed through it...Im banking on the RDA for some decent discounts on a wider selection of casual blucher styles ....sigh...and so the wait begins.

15. harlequin782

Yeah..that suede is pretty smooth...I might draft one of the strandmok 2.0's onto my AE roster..but they seem kind of one dimensional, so I would only be able to wear them in the same way I would wear a tennis shoe with jeans (or God forbid, with my pant legs rolled up to expose my mountain man ankles in accordance with the latest "new" fad as "pioneered" by AE)..so Im still on the fence. Really wish they were bluchers though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.