1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle

Uncle Well-Known Member

I just bought some Stamdmocks on Monday, and the SA gavee the 245 price. Once I figure out this picture posting thing....

2. Newberry

Newberry Senior Member

[​IMG]

Saw this boot at Nordstrom today and I need help trying to find out more info about it. I don't even know the last it's on. It really caught my attention because I've never seen it before and Allen Edmonds doesn't seem to have it on their site. Maybe it's a Nordstrom exclusive but who knows. The only info I found was:
    Tough, supple leather distinguishes a clean-lined, American-made chukka boot styled with rawhide laces and set on a crepe sole.
    Lace-up style.
    Leather upper and lining/crepe sole.
    By Allen Edmonds; made in the USA.
    Men's Shoes.

3. Newberry

Newberry Senior Member

Does anyone have any pics of a pair of nice and worn oxblood Warwick monk straps? I'm thinking of buying it since it's on sale. Thanks!

4. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior Member

+1. I have at least 5 different AE soles and the combo tap is by far my favorite. Only caveat is that I somehow don't have the regular single-oak AE sole (all of my leather soles are Indy).

5. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

I've got mostly double-oak soles, but also have a couple single-oak soles, one JR sole (love it), and several combo tap soles on my various Shaker Heights boots and a pair of RL for AE Sandersons.

Overall, I really like the combo tap soles. The maintain the same overall profile as the regular leather soles, but with added traction and longer wear (and better in the rain).

JR soles are nice too, only recently got to experience them and they are super durable.

6. srolaser

srolaser Well-Known Member

what is the anniversary sale you refer to?

7. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior Member

Go on the AE site and in the menu it is the Anniversary Sale option. Enjoy.

8. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior Member

I wear the same size in any last, though I know several others will say different. Also, I'm not sure if the ratios are the same when you get up into sizes where life preservers are required.

9. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior Member

For me, the length in the 65 isn't usable, just in the point of the toe. I'm 11D in most AE's, which works well for most lasts. The 1 last is borderline in that size, if it was any tighter I'd need an 11.5D. I have to go to 11E in the 65 because the toe box is too tight, and that makes the 65 work fairly well. If the 1 last in 15D is a good fit, my best guess is that 15D would be where to start with the 65 as well.

10. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior Member

These aren't quite oxblood (Bob's chili), but if you can imagine these coated in a thin layer of blood you're pretty close:
    [​IMG]

11. Newberry

Newberry Senior Member

Thanks. Also I've never own a pair of oxblood shoes. Do you think oxblood is a color with a lot of versatility?

12. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior Member

Yes, but ....
    I think it would go well with a range of trouser colors - mid to dark grey, navy blue, etc. With that said, it is definitely a strong, attention-grabbing color, much more so than brown or Bob's chili, which is extremely versatile. It is probably more versatile than walnut (though I will wear my darkish walnut strands with just about anything).

I equate oxblood with Merlot in that it will pair well with many pant options but is not a particularly neutral color.

Disclaimer: I don't have anything in oxblood. Not opposed to it, but it hasn't grabbed me. Maybe a Carlyle someday ...

13. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior Member

Of my 10 AE, half are oxblood. I'm a fiend. I think it's extremely versatile. Warwick, Strand, McGregor, Ascher, and Dalton.

14. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

If you like the suede on the Strandmok, then maybe take a look at a suede Dundee 2.0. They both use suede from CF Stead. Unlike the Strandmok, the Dundee is lined (I think thats the only difference). CF Stead makes REALLY nice suede. My first pair of AE's were the Dundee 2.0 in Loden, and they still remain my favorite pair.

Side note: Really wish AE make their suede belt in Loden. Picked up one in Bitter Chocolate from the Rack for $40 this week, and its sweet.

15. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

I was contemplating the same (McAllister in Dark Chili or Merlot, leaning Merlot), but I'm very close to pulling the trigger on Shell Dundee's and I have to keep some fiscal responsibility. Also thinking of Oxblood Strands for RDA, so the McA's might go by the wayside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.