1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Assuming your talking about suede, are you sure you are not looking at Bitter Chocolate and "Brogue". I find the colors a little confusing. When did "Brogue" become a color??? ITS NOT IN THE CRAYOLA BOX!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. feeble

feeble Active Member

I agree, I also wouldn't hesitate at all wearing dark chili with a navy suit.

3. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

Oh! And the ATL, which is a Road Warrior shoe with a rubber sole.

And I wondered why I want to order a Bradford from Crockett & Jones. AE has a surprising number of gaps among its basic shoe models. No shortwing blucher, no toe-cap blucher, no alt Wien. But if you want two dozen penny/tassel/kiltie/tassel-kiltie/woven penny/woven tassel-kiltie loafer options, there's no better company!

To be fair, aside from a personal dislike for kilties, I like that they bring out similar styles on different lasts, but I'd rather they not pretend it's an entirely different model. Just have two penny variants available across a range of lasts. Especially with basic staples like the Park Ave. No reason I shouldn't be able to get a black cap-toe bal on any last I damn well please.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  4. mosy

mosy Well-Known Member

I'm with you man

5. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

I have it. It matches their Bitter chocolate shoes perfectly.

It is very deep brown -- definitely not a light brown, and frankly isn't even close to "brogue" suede. Really only a good match for very dark brown suede.

1 person likes this.
  6. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Yup - suede - forgot to mention that [​IMG]. I hadn't seen the brogue suede - almost seems like an AE-edition autocorrect...

I'm trying to find something that matches Alden's chocolate suede
    [​IMG]

I'm not worried about an exact match, but the flatter tone and grayer color don't seem very common, and I don't want a shouty brown (like the "brogue suede"). I'll just stick with my CXL belt (Sun River natural CXL).if nothing pops up...

Searched around a fair bit - would appreciate any input/leads

7. naspratt

Here's mine; this is pretty accurate wrt color:
    [​IMG]

And some appreciation:
    [​IMG]
    Just the shoes that are getting polished this weekend.

3 people like this.
  8. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

Someone on AE's website was commenting on the Carlyle and complained that edge of the collar around the shoe wasn't capped off like on the picture. IOW, the edge was unfinished. AE's response was essentially, "that's the way we do it know since folks like casual things."

Anyone notice this on recently purchased Carlyles? It would be a deal breaker for me.

9. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

That's a nice, well rounded collection (minus some walnut!), are those chili (or burg?) Lexingtons on the bottom left?

10. SLCRich

SLCRich Well-Known Member

Gonna hit 80 degrees today and snow on Tuesday. Utah is weird. Summer look with sockless suede Strands. (say that 5 times fast)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. naspratt

They're moving away from piping and toward unfinished top lines. Look at the independence collection. No piping on any of the models. Me no like.

Thanks! Only walnut I have is a Rutledge; I was thinking about picking up Strands from Bloomingdale's during this sale, but I'm on the fence since I already have a Strand in brown and want one in shell. The Lexingtons are burgundy; I MTO'd them with a Dainite sole before they were offering that as a stock option.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  12. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

Ah, so that is just a sample of the collection. God I want a Rutledge that fits.

13. Middlife

Middlife Well-Known Member

Do any of you guys drive standard vehicles and find that wearing AE's results in additional creasing/scuffing on the clutch shoe?

14. armedferret

armedferret Well-Known Member

I haven't had any issues, but i try to keep the action at the knee and not rest my heel on the floor when changing gear. I guess i just stay more cognizant of what's around my feets when I'm wearing nicer stuff....my combat boots i don't worry about. :D

15. naspratt

Oh yeah, that's about 1/2 of the collection; most of the dressier shoes. I also have:
    Loafers - Burgundy shell Westchester; black Verona
    Balmorals - dark chili Fifth Aves; walnut Rutledge; brown/linen Strawfut (and a J&M black cap-toe)
    Bluchers - chocolate suede Players; sand suede Boones
    Boots - MTO chili calf/chocolate suede Fifth Streets; tan Freiburg (and a blue suede chukka from Jeffery West)

Speaking of, here's the Friday Freiburg:
    [​IMG]

I want to trim the collection to make room for more shell, but I still want Carlyles, Cornwallis, Rogues, and a Madison Park. Help, I'm out of control!

Edit: oh yeah, forgot my green Maritimes. Damn it, my wife might have a point.

1 person likes this.
  16. pudman43

pudman43 Well-Known Member

Walnut Strands polished with dark brown over the years. J

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  17. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Well-Known Member

I had received an email from the LaSalle Street store as a follow up to my Cavanaugh purchase of last week. I wrote back, thanking them for the follow up service, and also inquiring about a burgundy shell Strand.

Her response this morning:

"You will never believe this, but we just got an email on Wednesday saying that they are expanding our Cordovan program a bit. We are now able to offer any shoe that we carry in our normal calfskin line as a shell cordovan in either black, brown or burgundy. There is an upcharge of $110 for special makeup shoes, but we can definitely get you a burgundy Strand if that is what you want."

2 people like this.
  18. tkebh979

tkebh979 Well-Known Member

Scuffing, yes - but only when I was really heel-toeing it.

Creasing, yes - think of it like standing on one foot and going from tiptoe to flat foot over and over and over.

That said... condition, cream, polish, and trees are your friends. My shoes looked rougher when I was driving a standard (s2000, now in someone else's care, in case you were wondering), but only in the intervals between care. Sometimes, I'd be cognizant of what I was wearing. Other times, I just wanted to thrash my car around. Part of the joy of driving a fully mechanical automobile (none of this silly, electronic-assisted nonsense).

1 person likes this.
  19. tkebh979

tkebh979 Well-Known Member

I have heard the same. I like the idea for shoes that aren't currently offered in any shell... but a 17% upcharge for a different color shell (brown to burg)? Seems odd.

Thought of another way - would I spend $110 more for a burgundy strand than for a burgundy cambridge? Would I pay $75 more for a calf strand than a calf McAllister in the same color (using the same % upcharge on the calf price)?

20. naspratt

This was their standard "leather change" fee; they applied it to calf as well I recall. So it's a 28% upcharge for calf. Which is still less than Carmina or Bonafe charge for one-off MTOs. I don't like it either, but it's not unusual in the shoe world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.