1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior Member

[​IMG]

Great minds think alike! One more First Ave for Walnut Wednesday. Glad we all got the memo. Mine need a polish.

2. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I returned a pair on 3/5 and they arrived back at the store about 3/10-3/12. I received an email today 3/23 showing the charge back to my credit card. Should be anytime.

3. barto78

barto78 Well-Known Member

I too returned a pair about 2.5 weeks ago and they called me yesterday to advise they were putting the $ back on my credit card.

4. Churchill W

Churchill W Distinguished Member

5. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior Member

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories,... 
    Thanks! Good to hear. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

Speaking of loafers (and to revert back to a more AE-related topic), I've noticed that the Ralph Lauren (by AE) Singletons in Brown calf seem to come in two slight variations.

There's the plain, darker brown with dark brown edging that I received when I bought them, such as these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But then I've also seen people post their brown Singletons with a much lighter edge (and seemingly lighter upper, although it's probably just the lighting):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone have any clue what's up with that? These are both "brown calf" (distinctly different from the tan version). I sold my old ones due to sizing issues, but mine definitely looked like the former and I would have much preferred the latter.

7. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior Member

It looks like the top pics have some black edge dressing, for one thing. I like both of those shoes, especially the bottom ones, but I don't understand the point of buying AE's (or any other brand, for that matter) from a different label. Aren't they usually made with a different insole, or on a different last? Of course, that could be a plus; I just don't understand it.

8. Oinkedmoo

Oinkedmoo Well-Known Member

I like to travel with derbies since they're easier to take off at security, but I got TSA pre check on my way out so I took the Daltons! Unfortunately, I didn't get as lucky in my way back so I used my Lexingtons. The Daltons packed up well!

[​IMG]

9. BackInTheJox

They're dark brown edge dressing, to my eye (and the ones I owned were certainly a similar dark brown).

I'm not really sure I get what it is you don't get. I like these loafers, and AE sells them through RL. There is no option to purchase them from AE (well, you can find seconds sometimes at the shoebank).

You either buy them from a different label (RL) or you don't buy them at all (seconds notwithstanding).

10. danwatts2005

But aren't there similar loafers available from AE direct, and not at over $400? I thought most of the models that are available from somewhere else were based on a regular AE model. I am specifically speaking about the JAB Boardroom they used to have. Wasn't that a FA or PA with different construction? Don't get me wrong; it could be that the difference in construction made a better shoe. I just don't know. And what is the tip off that these are made by AE, with the exception of the fact that they might be on the bank at some point? RL site just says they are made in USA. It doesn't say they are AE. Brooks does say that some of theirs are AE, but then you get into different construction, like the steel piece, etc. Maybe there is some other difference that I'm not taking into account. If so, then that opens up a whole new outlet for AE's that I hadn't even considered. I'm interested to know.

11. Gabru

Gabru Senior Member

Interesting, I didn't notice that earlier. I have this loafer and love it, the upper on mine isn't as dark as the first one above but the edge dressing isn't as light as the second one either.

Here are 2 outside pics..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. BackInTheJox

Allen Edmonds makes at least three models for Ralph Lauren - the Singleton, the Sanderson, and the Saunders (loafer, longwing blucher, and chukka, respectively). This has been confirmed via email with AE, and it's also quite clear when AE lists these models in their seconds lists.

The AE for RL loafers do not have a direct AE-only counterpart, and the finishing is a bit nicer on the RL models, usually.

JAB, to my knowledge, does sell otherwise pre-existing AE shoes that are made on different lasts, for some reason. BB sells identical models of AE shoes, with the exception of the different insole/sole combo. RL's AE shoes are unique to RL, and I happen to really like the pattern/construction/finishing of both the RL Singleton and Sanderson (not a big fan of the Saunders chukka, though).

13. danwatts2005

Thanks for that. I didn't realize they were exclusive to RL. That's good to know. Is it common knowledge, or easily identifiable, when RLs are made by AE?

14. MattRiv

MattRiv Distinguished Member

I want the Singletons so effing bad. How is the fit on those compared to the 65?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016

15. naspratt

naspratt Distinguished Member

Such an amazing collection. And wouldn't come close to fitting me. I wonder if my wife wants some baller shell...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.