• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ny3pcg

Reaction score

Correct; I used the appropriate name in my post. Technically I use both Renomat and Renovateur for my refinishing projects. I use the Renovateur once I've stripped the finish and old build up off of the shoes (which is where I tend to use it most). I've found that since Renovateur is a cleaner/conditioner that it can also remove finish on shoes depending on a variety of circumstances (proper use, shoe quality/age/condition, etc.)
That would be very odd indeed. My understanding, which could be incorrect, from one of the AE CSRs is that the leather comes into their facilities pre-finished before they craft the shoes. They will then polish/wax/burnish once the shoe is crafted.

Was it a burnished shoe where the burnishing was what was affected? Or some other area of the shoe with the intended non-burnished color?

It was on the dark chili Mcallisters but not on the burnished part.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Biggest AE regret: selling my AE Williams in brown. As people on here probably know, I am obsessed with longwing/shortwing bluchers, and the Independence leather/lining/soles are amazing.

I forget exactly what I was thinking at the time, but I think I probably felt that a brown longwing (or even shortwing) blucher should be more "gunboat"ish and expected to buy something to fill that role. And to be fair, I have since bought a pair of dark brown grain C&J Pembrokes (after striking out in sizing for the OSB chocolate calfskin shortwing blucher) and have a pair of dark brown shell Marlow wingtips coming in a few weeks.

But still, those AE Indy Williams shoes are so so nice. Hope whoever bought them from me on ebay is getting great use from them.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't even begin to remember what life was like before the internet.

Thanks.

If you were like me, you had, maybe, three pairs of shoes.
nest.gif

dfwcowboy

Reaction score
I'm not sure if folks are using the names intentionally, but just for clarity:

Saphir Renomat = stripping solution that smells terrible (and has lots of warning labels, hexane, etc.) that removes everything but the factory finish. Used only occasionally to get all the old polish/wax/etc. from a shoe and start over.

Saphir Renovateur = conditioning cream that has a little mink oil, smells very mild imho and is used to condition for maintenance or in preparation for polish (or recovery after Renomat)

Both are awesome.

Saphir also makes a number of other products which perform similar functions. There's also Saphir Lotion which as far as I can tell is very similar to Renovateur, except it's a bit thinner and comes in a dispensing bottle, both features I prefer. They also make a product simply called Mink Oil. I haven't used this product, but near as I can figure it's different in that it's a 100% mink oil product that lacks the solvents and protectants found in the other two. Saphir Dubbin Graisse, which I've seen sold in a couple of different forms appears to be a product designed for deep moisturizing of long neglected leather. Evidently it's derived from animal fats and I suspect has some strong solvents that aid in deep penetration. They also make a number of different other leather cleaning, moisturizing, and protectant products that have various purposes as well as leather dies. Their stuff tends to be harder to find in the US and more expensive, but everything I've gotten from them works quite well and for me is worth the premium.

Someone else mentioned that when using Renovateur on a refinished pair of shoes, some of the dies were removed and I suspect this is common with new or refinished shoes as I've observed this myself, but happens less the older the shoes are and I haven't noticed any ill effects from repeated use. I suspect this happens because some of the excess die that didn't penetrate fully is going to leach into the cleaning cloth due to the solvents contained in the product. I think it's really more of an issue with new or refinished shoes because I've also noticed this when using neutral polishes. I'm sure the same thing happens with colored polishes, but just isn't noticeable.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great shoe! Like shortwings on suede
nod%5B1%5D.gif

Thanks. I love the look, but they're probably my worst fitting pair of shoes. 511 last in my normal size, but they feel a half size smaller. Don't know why.

Middlife

Reaction score
Went with the dark chili Daltons today along with my favorite gift from Santa (wool-cashmere topcoat in dark camel from J-Crew).

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I nom-nom-nominate TT or SLCRich to start the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul_L