• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visited a store in ny a few weeks ago and the sales associate seemed very confident about the future shell trunk show. He said after rda shell had taken a hard hit and that the show was delayed but expected to happen in march. I'm not sure if this has already been established but I thought I'd relay the message. My hope of acquiring a natural shell strand is still alive and well. 2017 is going to be a big AE year for me since I finally realized that the 5 last fits me REALLY well.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visited a store in ny a few weeks ago and the sales associate seemed very confident about the future shell trunk show. He said after rda shell had taken a hard hit and that the show was delayed but expected to happen in march.

I better start saving for my C width natty (or even better walnut) Dundee with natural or chili welt/edges, Wilbert insert, and toppy sole.

But again... I'll believe it when I see it.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finally got around to taking a picture of all my shoes at once (figured it would be easier than getting a bunch of individual pics).

A couple non-AE, but from bottom clockwise:
Peal & Co Brooks tartan wool slippers
Midnight Navy Cornwallis
Navy suede Cavanaugh
Jingle Bell Mok
Walkover bucks (actually purchased in 2015, but still part of the dress shoe collection)
Walnut McClain (Jos A Bank)
Tan McTavish
Bourbon Strand
Bourbon McAllister
Bourbon Mora 2.0
Dark Chili Warwick (Brooks Brothers)
Merlot McAllister
Burgundy Nathan (Jos A Bank)
Brogue suede Strand
Chocolate suede Massdrop chukka
Brown CXL Higgins Mill
Brown Cavanaugh
Black Boardroom (Jos A Bank)
Black Verona II
Peal & Co velvet slipper

You're all a bunch of weasely enablers- God bless each and every one of you
1f609.png

Solid collection @orange fury! Becomes even better when you paired with texture and bowties!

Question - are those McTs from the recent batch? If not, how do you keep the edges so bright?

Middlife

Reaction score

Family shot of my 2016 AE acquisitions. I think 10 a good number to stop at for now but I will be patiently waiting for the potential trunk show.

Black First Ave
Dark Chili Dalton
Chocolate Suede Liverpool
Natty Higgins Mill
Loden Suede Dundee
Black Carlyle
Merlot McAllister
Brown Shell Strand
Walnut Madison Park
Bone Snuff Suede Maritime

Thanks for all of the FBW support and guidance!

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visited a store in ny a few weeks ago and the sales associate seemed very confident about the future shell trunk show. He said after rda shell had taken a hard hit and that the show was delayed but expected to happen in march. I'm not sure if this has already been established but I thought I'd relay the message. My hope of acquiring a natural shell strand is still alive and well. 2017 is going to be a big AE year for me since I finally realized that the 5 last fits me REALLY well.

Which store?

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to the AE store today and heard some interesting news. Alex will apparently run the new store in Century City that is opening soon. Congrats to him.

Did he say how soon? It will be nice to be able to walk from my house to an A-E store when I need something.

When I was in Century City of December 19th, the first floor looked like this.....

.....and the second floor looked like this.

I'm wearing brogue suede Strands.

Although it was a less than a week before Christmas, the few surviving stores weren't busy. Most of the restaurants in the Food Court have gone out of business,

Since I was in Century City on December 19th, Gulfstream a large restaurant, has announced it is closing.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did he say how soon? It will be nice to be able to walk from my house to an A-E store when I need something.

Ha! You are very fortunate. The new store is still going to be a good 30-45 minute drive for me, which isn't any shorter than the current drive to Costa Mesa (I live south of Pasadena).

They didn't say when, but my impression was that it was going to happen before Spring.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Allen Edmonds Natural Shell Cordovan Strand. CHUP Gray Socks. Gustin The Gray Silk Selvedge Denim.
-Mike
You know Mike, if you ever get tired of those, I have a feeling you might be able to find someone to take them off your hands. *he said knowingly* *saynomore*

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Visited a store in ny a few weeks ago and the sales associate seemed very confident about the future shell trunk show. He said after rda shell had taken a hard hit and that the show was delayed but expected to happen in march. I'm not sure if this has already been established but I thought I'd relay the message. My hope of acquiring a natural shell strand is still alive and well..

From your lips to Paul's ears.

Last edited:

amphillips79

Reaction score

I'm not sure if folks are using the names intentionally, but just for clarity:

Saphir Renomat = stripping solution that smells terrible (and has lots of warning labels, hexane, etc.) that removes everything but the factory finish.  Used only occasionally to get all the old polish/wax/etc. from a shoe and start over.

Saphir Renovateur = conditioning cream that has a little mink oil, smells very mild imho and is used to condition for maintenance or in preparation for polish (or recovery after Renomat)

Both are awesome.

Correct; I used the appropriate name in my post. Technically I use both Renomat and Renovateur for my refinishing projects. I use the Renovateur once I've stripped the finish and old build up off of the shoes (which is where I tend to use it most). I've found that since Renovateur is a cleaner/conditioner that it can also remove finish on shoes depending on a variety of circumstances (proper use, shoe quality/age/condition, etc.)

I've used Renovateur for quite some time now and never had an issue with it up until a few days ago. I just received a new pair of chili Mcallisters that were on backorder and were recently crafted. Once I received them I started to apply a light coat of Renovateur and noticed immediately that the polish was being removed. Since I never had this issue before, could it be because the shoes were recently crafted and the factory polish wasn't completely cured or set? I think from this point forward I will stick with the AE lotion, not the lotion/cleaner.

That would be very odd indeed. My understanding, which could be incorrect, from one of the AE CSRs is that the leather comes into their facilities pre-finished before they craft the shoes. They will then polish/wax/burnish once the shoe is crafted.

Was it a burnished shoe where the burnishing was what was affected? Or some other area of the shoe with the intended non-burnished color?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy