• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found these on ebay. Seller states they are a UK 8 but since it says 8 D on the inside it looks like US sizing to me.

Can anyone confirm? I have never seen a UK D width before, which must be very narrow?

1636284036980.png

1636284111041.png

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found these on ebay. Seller states they are a UK 8 but since it says 8 D on the inside it looks like US sizing to me.

Can anyone confirm? I have never seen a UK D width before, which must be very narrow?

View attachment 1699250

View attachment 1699251

I have bought all of my AS in UK sizes through AFPOS. But, I did buy a pair of Brooks Brothers Peal and Co., made by AS. It still had the hand written sizing/last and model information. Honestly that's how I knew they were AS and not C&J, Church's, or Loake - I think all of them used to make for BB Peal and Co. Only EG used to be separately listed as the original brand and not rebranded as Peal and Co. I have never seen a pair of AS without hand written information.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have bought all of my AS in UK sizes through AFPOS. But, I did buy a pair of Brooks Brothers Peal and Co., made by AS. It still had the hand written sizing/last and model information. Honestly that's how I knew they were AS and not C&J, Church's, or Loake - I think all of them used to make for BB Peal and Co. Only EG used to be separately listed as the original brand and not rebranded as Peal and Co. I have never seen a pair of AS without hand written information.

I don't doubt these are AS (last 87 is printed also), it's just that I'm not sure if this pair is US or UK sized.

They used to print the model information like this by the way, before the exclusive and handgrade range. I have a few older pairs which have that also.

brotherender

Reaction score
I don't doubt these are AS (last 87 is printed also), it's just that I'm not sure if this pair is US or UK sized.

They used to print the model information like this by the way, before the exclusive and handgrade range. I have a few older pairs which have that also.
I'm pretty sure this will be US 8D, which should translate to UK 7.5F.

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

chrfi

Reaction score
That sounds really promising, very much looking forward to seeing the Country Collection coming back!

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alfred Sargent as Peal and Co. for Brooks Brothers. I'm very strongly considering converting these from dainite to leather or double leather. I find dainite uncomfortable and I want these to be my travel boots - all of my Aldens have a metal shank and set off metal detectors, so TSA precheck loses a lot of value traveling with them.

IMG_7388.jpeg

emptym

Reaction score
Have you considered crepe? I have a pair (AS for BB chukkas) and they're super comfortable. Almost the same as running shoes.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered crepe? I have a pair (AS for BB chukkas) and they're supper comfortable. Almost the same as running shoes.

I haven't. I'm in the DC area. AH One shoes (Aram) offers the Alden red microsole and calls it crepe. I have those on a pair of tan suede Indys. It's indeed light and comfortable. But, I don't think it's latex crepe like the traditional British crepe soles. I'm sure Steve at Bedo's can get real crepe, I'm just not sure I want to pay his price for a sole conversion.

Any other recommendations for where to get it done?

emptym

Reaction score
No, unfortunately. Well, I'd ask Sky Valet for a recommendation.

thelonius

Reaction score

Christian GV.

Reaction score
AS lasted trees. Have you had luck with yours? I have an issue with mine, where the metal hardware is extruding from the side. I tried pushing it back with a screwdriver, however it popped out again when inserting the tree. Have you ever experienced the same? How do you fix these things? Any help is tremendously appreciated as I don’t want to tear up the lining.

B85DEB45-248F-4429-9AC9-6B61B26C3234.jpeg 838615CB-130D-48C3-A1C6-AE9F64BE024C.jpeg

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Without any closer pictures of the mechanism of the hardware/hole, I'd ask if you could you push it back in and then lock it inside with something like 5-minute epoxy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads