• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden/whiskey-should they stay or go?

CodeRed

Reaction score
I purchased this pair of shoes which just arrived today from Shoemart:

http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/c...IAN&rpro=24061

I like these shoes and have the feeling that they will develop a nice patina over time. The problem that I am having is paying full retail for these shoes when much better deals are out there as evidenced by the recent RLP sale. I got C&J shell shoes for almost half of what these are costing and it seems to me like the Darltons are actually a better made shoe.

I keep hearing how whiskey shell is so rare these days, but knowing how my universe works there will be a flood of whiskey out there as soon as I decide to keep them.

Should I keep them or send them back? Thx.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought this shoe from the Shoe Mart a couple of months ago and love them. The color is rare and will age nicely over time. I have no regrets for purchasing them at full retail.

My quest now is to find a pair of Alden chukka boots in whiskey.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you got there is a highly desired norwegian split-toe blucher, which required additional hand-sewing. It's a great shoe in a very rare color, by all means keept them.

Polo operates at a much larger scale than the Alden shoe factory, therefore a crazy sale of close to 50% off is no big deal to them.

I would not say the C&J made Darlton/Marlow is "better" than what Alden offers. From a construction standpoint they are exactly the same. The finishing detail on the Polo MAY be slightly slightly more consistent, but not by that much over the Alden.

I'm by no means a shell cordovan "expert", although that's the only shoes I've been purchasing (other than a pair of AE Park Avenue from Brian/Shoe) for the past 6 months. The Alden special editions are the ONLY shoes I'm willing to pay full retail. Not even the Darlton/Marlow was good enough that I was ready to fork over the asking price of $695.

KEEP your Whiskey NST!

CodeRed

Reaction score
Well is does seem unaminous so far...I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't being too caught up in the moment by paying full retail.

I guess it boils down to supply and demand, when it comes to whiskey shell not much supply and plenty of demand.

Looks like they are keepers after all. First instincts are usually correct anyway. Thx for the comments thus far.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the natural-stain midsoles on these Bootmaker Aldens. I think more shoes should come like that. I've been really wanting a pair. I've agonized over buying these, full retail $557.
2R_90730.jpg
#8 is something you can waffle on, but cigar or whiskey, they are worth every penny right now. Another thing, this is one of those purchases which is just foolproof. For example, I have a bunch of $170-ish shoes which I got on various discounts. I would have saved a lot of wasted time if I had just gotten the exact $550 shoe I wanted instead of hunting around for 3 lesser $170 shoes.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought those same shoes at full retail from the Shoe Mart and I can buy Aldens at wholesale. That should tell you something about how hard it is to get whiskey right now.
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads