• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Shoes how do they stack up to the competition?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Are you worried about how the cordovan will wear over time?

Should I be? I imagine they'll hold up as well as anything else out there.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
by this standard, Loakes should serve you well.

Dexter's even better
rimshot.gif

tps16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Should I be? I imagine they'll hold up as well as anything else out there.

I think cordovan holds up better than regular leather. Yachtie posted a picture of a pair of 20 year old cordovan bluchers that are his beater shoes. I think you can abuse cordovan a lot more than calf, due to the natural oils in the leather.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
If you want a traditional American cordovan gunboat shoe, Alden is the place to go. If you're looking for a svelte European type shoe, you're in the wrong place. Even their sleeker lasts are still decidedly American- not a bad thing.

I would not mind a sleeker European shoe but I want a pair of shoes that I am not going to be worried about ruining. So even $1000 shoes are too much money. My Lobbs and Westons sit in the closet most of the time because I cannot afford to replace them...now that I am out of my parents house.

What brand makes the highest quality shoes for around $400-$600?

tps16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
I would not mind a sleeker European shoe but I want a pair of shoes that I am not going to be worried about ruining. So even $1000 shoes are too much money. My Lobbs and Westons sit in the closet most of the time because I cannot afford to replace them...now that I am out of my parents house.

If you are looking for good value, Allen-Edmonds would be a good place to start also. They are much more readily available on discount that Alden. I have shoes from both companies and do not see an appreciable difference between them. See which one fits your foot better.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tps16
If you are looking for good value, Allen-Edmonds would be a good place to start also. They are much more readily available on discount that Alden. I have shoes from both companies and do not see an appreciable difference between them. See which one fits your foot better.

I have a pair of Allen Edmonds and they are pretty comfortable once they get broken in but they are not particularly stylish.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
by this standard, Loakes should serve you well.

I have one pair of loakes chelseas and that corrected grain piece of crap broke in weird ways due to the inferior leather. I've had designer shoes last me for years though so yeah, solidity is not necessarily the exclusive territory of Lobb and Green. Berluti are pretty flimsy but that's part of the charm.

tps16

Reaction score
I have a pair of Allen Edmonds and they are pretty comfortable once they get broken in but they are not particularly stylish.
In that case, I can't imagine you liking Alden that much, except for maybe the Plaza last. There's another thread on here about the AE Strands, considered to be one of their sleekest models. But if you like Lobb, then you probably will not be satisfied. Have you looked at Crocket and Jones?

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can get C&J, or JM Weston classic line at aroud that price point if you are a savy shopper.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
I'm sure the man with multiple same pairs will be along to dispute this, but IMHO towards the middle (beneath C&J).

I have a pair of C&J I am not happy with, and I noticed a place nearby that will do custom fittings for Alden. Would custom Alden's likely be an improvement from my C&J or should I not bother?

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
I have a pair of C&J I am not happy with, and I noticed a place nearby that will do custom fittings for Alden. Would custom Alden's likely be an improvement from my C&J or should I not bother?

Depends what you are not happy about. If it's comfort, then maybe. If you have the 348 last and you want something sleeker, then no.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
Depends what you are not happy about. If it's comfort, then maybe. If you have the 348 last and you want something sleeker, then no.

It's the comfort.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
It's the comfort.

C&J are a little narrow so yes, alden might have something that suit your feet better.

jon5986

Reaction score
In my opinion, I don't think that they are as good as the English brands. Lobb is in a different league.....

Edward Green makes wonderful shoes, as does Cleverley......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads