• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Barrie vs Aberdeen

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loose On The Lead
I don't believe that's correct. I have a high instep, and the Copley fits me better than any other Alden last (in the store, anyway)...which was what the salesperson predicted, by the way. Also, I was told the Copley closedly resembled the Leydon (except with a wider toe box), not the Aberdeen.

I would say the Copley last does resemble the Leydon last visually from the top view. However, from the side, one can easily see a huge difference in the line of the arch. The Leydon is clearly higher arched like the Barrie, while the Copley is extremely flat.

Perhaps we need to make a distinction between a low and high instep, and a foot that requires a last with very little slope to the sole, like the Copley, and a last with much more arch like the Leydon and Barrie.

A flat last like the Copley may feel OK for a short time for a person that needs a last with an arch that is more supportive. However, after a period of time one's feet may start to hurt. Even though I have very flat feet, my feet will hurt if I wear Converse sneakers with basically no support for more than 20 minutes. As Dewey says, it may take more than just a few minutes of trying a shoe in a store to know for sure if it is the right last for your feet.

Jess

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmonroestyle
I would say the Copley last does resemble the Leydon last visually from the top view. However, from the side, one can easily see a huge difference in the line of the arch. The Leydon is clearly higher arched like the Barrie, while the Copley is extremely flat.
All I know is that when I had the Copley on, (a) it felt like it fit well and (b) the lacing wasn't spread wide like it is with most shoes. That's a pretty good indication that the Copley does accomodate a high instep, or at least my own high instep.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Pictures are from shoemart.

alden_lasts.jpg

This picture made me throw up in my mouth a little.

And I own a pair of Aldens in the Barrie last.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
It's odd because the Hampton is not described in the Carmel website. It's the best Alden last for fitting my feet, I also think it looks the best.
The Hampton is my favorite. I can wear shoes on that last all day long with complete comfort. When I wear shoes on the Hampton last, I feel like I'm wearing my Lobb's, no kidding.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
This picture made me throw up in my mouth a little.

And I own a pair of Aldens in the Barrie last.

You don't like it, the American blobby shoo?

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
All I know is that when I had the Copley on, (a) it felt like it fit well and (b) the lacing wasn't spread wide like it is with most shoes. That's a pretty good indication that the Copley does accomodate a high instep, or at least my own high instep.

Accommodating a high instep, and the amount of slope to the sole of the shoe in the arch area are 2 different issues. One will know in the store immediately if there is enough volume in the shoe to accommodate the volume of the instep area of one's foot. However, it will take more time to determine if the slope of the shank area of the sole is right for one's foot. I can tell fairly quickly when the shank area is too high, as it feels like standing barefoot on a roll of quarters. However, if the sole is too flat, it can take a little longer for the foot pain to develop.

Jess

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmonroestyle
Accommodating a high instep, and the amount of slope to the sole of the shoe in the arch area are 2 different issues. One will know in the store immediately if there is enough volume in the shoe to accommodate the volume of the instep area of one's foot. However, it will take more time to determine if the slope of the shank area of the sole is right for one's foot. I can tell fairly quickly when the shank area is too high, as it feels like standing barefoot on a roll of quarters. However, if the sole is too flat, it can take a little longer for the foot pain to develop.
Okay, now this is new information. Specifically what happens when the shank is too high? Assume there's no "roll of quarters" effect (although I will try to detect that in the future). Also assume the volume is reasonably correct, meaning that the lacing works and my foot isn't sliding around in the shoe. What would a high shank do to me?

Sorry if I'm highjacking the thread, but this is potentially useful.

wasteland

Reaction score
Sorry for the n00b question but this seems like the right place to ask. Is it possible to identify the last style from the numbers/letter inside the shoe. I got these at the Madison store some time ago and they fit remarkably well.

6H07 024 12

Thanks

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
Okay, now this is new information. Specifically what happens when the shank is too high? Assume there's no "roll of quarters" effect (although I will try to detect that in the future). Also assume the volume is reasonably correct, meaning that the lacing works and my foot isn't sliding around in the shoe. What would a high shank do to me?

Sorry if I'm highjacking the thread, but this is potentially useful.

I would think that if there is no roll of quarters effect, than the shank is not too high for your feet. Most dress shoes that I have tried, especially Italian shoes, are made with a little more slope to the shank area. Dress shoes with a flatter shank like the Copley last are in the minority, and I have only found a few lasts like this that I can wear, in the whole RTW shoe industry.

Jess

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ wasteland, send that question to Alden. they have a website and email, and they would be happy to help you find more shoes that you like. fwiw, i believe you have model 9341, and the google suggests no one is selling it right now.

Reaction score
aberdeen may be my favorite last. followed by the plaza. the barrie is ok for chukkas-----i just have to wear thicker sock to keep from being swallowed up whole.

wasteland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
^ wasteland, send that question to Alden. they have a website and email, and they would be happy to help you find more shoes that you like. fwiw, i believe you have model 9341, and the google suggests no one is selling it right now.

Thanks for the suggestion. I emailed and they've already answered. Aberdeen

inkwretch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
aberdeen may be my favorite last. followed by the plaza. the barrie is ok for chukkas-----i just have to wear thicker sock to keep from being swallowed up whole.

I noticed you normally wear a 9.5 D. Does that go for the Aberdeen, too?

Reaction score
^ i wear 9.5 in aberdeen and plaza
9 in the trubalance

i have barrie in 9.5 but i have to wear thicker socks to snug up the fit-----i reckon i am a 9 in the barrie

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads