• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Barrie vs Aberdeen

dport86

Reaction score
I can't make the aberdeen work--too tight. BArrie is perfect for my wide through the ball feet but I have to go down at least 1/2 size, even 1 size in the longwings so order accordingly. Modified is supposed to be even bigger, but I don't find it so--at least in boots.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if I have flat feet, should I stick to the Aberdeen or the Barrie, and in what size?

For reference, I own a pair of shell captoes in 8.5 B/D on the Aberdeen, which seem to run slightly large from heel to toe, but tight in the toe box as others have mentioned. I can get by fine with thicker socks.

I have flat feet, no arch.

From what I know about Brooks Bros, the only RTW plaintoe shell blucher in #8 is on the Barrie last. So should I stick to an 8.5 B/D in the Barrie? Or go down to an 8 B/D?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
It's odd because the Hampton is not described in the Carmel website. It's the best Alden last for fitting my feet, I also think it looks the best.
The Hampton is also the best fitting Alden last for me. I can't wear the Aberdeen even though they seem very comfortable for the first hour or so.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After doing some more research on the Alden website I guess I'll shoot for sizing down a 1/2 size on the Barrie

It seems so rounded all over, though ... giving off an "old man" vibe that I don't see in the Aberdeen or Plaza last...

Anyone else have some fit/WAYWN pics of a PTB on the Barrie last??

Siggy

Reaction score
I agree with JayJay, the Hampton last is perfect for me and I can wear Aldens on the Hampton last like slippers. The Aberdeen is also good for me. The Plaza fits fine in the front but is a bit too wide at the heel for me. I haven't tried the Barrie yet, but everyone says you need to go half a size smaller for the Barrie since it is oversized.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
After doing some more research on the Alden website I guess I'll shoot for sizing down a 1/2 size on the Barrie

It seems so rounded all over, though ... giving off an "old man" vibe that I don't see in the Aberdeen or Plaza last...

Anyone else have some fit/WAYWN pics of a PTB on the Barrie last??

I would think long and hard about the PTB on the Barrie last. It's not a very graceful looking shoe. I have a pair of new #8 shell chukkas in the Barrie last. Had them for 6 months (never worn) and I'm still trying to decide if I can handle the blobby last. To be honest, I don't think I do like it, but it (shell chukka) seems to be so highly regarded, I question getting rid of it. The PTB on the Barrie last looks like a security guard shoe to me. In pictures of other Barrie lasted shoes (like longwings), it doesn't seem as blobby. If you check out the Ask Andy forum, you will see lots of the PTB/Barrie. I have the RL/C&J PTB in brown shell...what a great looking shoe!

Here are a few photos of the Barrie last. Stunning shell on both of these.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I would think long and hard about the PTB on the Barrie last. It's not a very graceful looking shoe. I have a pair of new #8 shell chukkas in the Barrie last. Had them for 6 months (never worn) and I'm still trying to decide if I can handle the blobby last. To be honest, I don't think I do like it, but it (shell chukka) seems to be so highly regarded, I question getting rid of it. The PTB on the Barrie last looks like a security guard shoe to me. In pictures of other Barrie lasted shoes (like longwings), it doesn't seem as blobby. If you check out the Ask Andy forum, you will see lots of the PTB/Barrie. I have the RL/C&J PTB in brown shell...what a great looking shoe!

Strongly disagree about the PTB. It is my 2nd favorite shoe, esp in shell. First place goes to longwing. I have PTBs in #8 and ravello and they looks spectacular.

Marlow/Darlton shell longwing is good, but I prefer alden longwings. (FYI, I have had the marlows)

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Aberdeen looks much pointier than depicted. My Alden NSTs looks quite elegant actually, at least compared to all the other Aldens I own. It's a shame they don't make more shoes on the Aberdeen.
Originally Posted by robin
Pictures are from shoemart.
alden_lasts.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Here are a few photos of the Barrie last. Stunning shell on both of these.

My PTB's on the Barrie are among my least favorite shells with respect to their shape. However, they show off the characteristics of shell very nicely.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think long and hard about the PTB on the Barrie last. It's not a very graceful looking shoe. I have a pair of new #8 shell chukkas in the Barrie last. Had them for 6 months (never worn) and I'm still trying to decide if I can handle the blobby last. To be honest, I don't think I do like it, but it (shell chukka) seems to be so highly regarded, I question getting rid of it. The PTB on the Barrie .......

Let me know when is the fire sale
bounce2.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Jay, why do you say so? Does the barrie last not suit you properly?

It fits fine but looks very inelegant, IMO. Oddly I don't mind the appearance of the last for the longwing.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW I much prefer the look of the NST on the Barrie over the Aberdeen version.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads