• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice regarding GF's teaching job

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok. Well, as they say, "combat pay"...

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
If I was a teacher I'd apply to private schools. The kids are a lot more respectful there. I still maintain relations with some of my teachers long after I've left.

I think it might be a wee bit of an over generalization to say that students at all private schools are more respectful. I also still maintain relations with some of my former teachers long after I left the public schools that I attended.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I talked to a teacher buddy of mine who basically asked why you had to tell the other schools you were released to begin with? If the contract wasn't renewed then she was just moving on. The other side of it was to say she had a preference to teach younger kids as some people handle different ages better. I'm friends with 10+ teachers down here, all of whom swear they don't like teaching any class but their own, albeit 4th or 5th graders or strictly high schoolers.

I'm rather scared of hearing that private elementary schools get poorer quality teachers having attended one all 8 years of elementary school. My private high school was a bit different as they needed a min. of a masters to work there.

Sorry to hear about the trouble nonetheless, GS. She seemed like a pretty cool gal when we met.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Concerning the private schools, I'm honestly surprised to hear that they offer lower pay. I did a stint in public and the level of teaching at the private schools i attended was much higher.

In hs, I had a physics teacher with a masters and a chemistry and biology teacher with a phd. some of them had houses on campus, which no-doubt added to their responsabilities, but not having to pay rent is a worthwhile exchange imo.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't give legal advice, but here's a thought:

Ask the principal if she can resign rather than get non-renewed. My sense is that a public school teacher's record is somewhat easier to review than a typical business-type employer, so one can't really lie like many do on private transactions, hence the need for a formal "out." Get the principal to agree (in penance for his union rules violation) that the only reference will be on that record, or agree to a letter of reference.

The principal will be anxious to settle the union violation (or should be).

Then, when she applies for new jobs, say that she prefers to teach younger kids, or whatever plausible reason she comes up with.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
She's looking at doing an inter-district transfer for next fall...it's not like her and the principal are at odds in a personal way so there aren't any bridges burned so it doesnt seem like she has to worry about the prinicipal giving her a bad reference, as her in-class evaluation has been highly rated. There's definitely some inner politics at work that I don't want to bore you with details of, but the end result is full of ****.

Re: Private school pay for teachers, I'm betting that a technical private school probably does pay more to its teachers, but most private schools (around here anyways) are religiously affiliated schools, and those are the ones that pay shite.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads