• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for wedding suit

telf911

Reaction score
Hi, i recently purchased a nice Daniel Hecter navy pin stripe suit. The space between the stripes is pretty slim.

Not sure if this brand name carries much weight around these parts, but for off the peg it fits really nice.

Anyway, as i am attending an old school friends wedding in a few weeks i'm looking for advice on what shirt and tie combo to wear with the suit. I was thinking a crisp white shirt with a yellow/blue/white diagonal striped tie.

Comments and advice please. PS i'll be wearing black shoes and navy socks/.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well...striped suits are generally considered to be "business" suits. I generally agree. If this is the only good suit you have and you don't wish to buy another, that is understandable and you do have to work within your means.

The ideal suit would likely be something in a solid Navy or Grey. This could change depending on the location, time of year and if it's a daytime or nighttime wedding, but it's hard to go wrong with either suit.

I think the crisp white shirt is great (french cuff with links if you have it) but I'd stay away from a yellow striped tie as that just screams "business" even more. Perhaps a fun purple paisley would be nice. Black shoes are fine (make sure they're polished!) perhaps some more colorful socks would be more wedding appropriate. A colorful silk pocket square would definitely liven up the pinstriped suit.

Remember, a wedding is a joyous occasion and tend to be fun; don't dress like you're showing up to a business meeting!

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by telf911
PS i'll be wearing black shoes and navy socks/.

Do you not have dark brown shoes? If you must wear black shoes, wear black socks.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
Do you not have dark brown shoes? If you must wear black shoes, wear black socks.

I don't see the reason for wearing black socks with black shoes...this isn't a funeral we're talking about.
fight[1].gif

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sock color clashes with the shoe. Traditionally when wearing brown shoes match the sock color to the pants, if wearing black shoes you really shouldnt deviate from black.

telf911

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies. I two other suites, a grey one and a black one. Neither fit me as well or look as good.

I am due a new pair of shoes, although i'd never considered dark brown to wear with my navy suit. I'll see what comes along, but with regards the tie, i'm not keen on paisley prints. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

When i figure my camera out i'll post a pic of what i wore at the previous wedding.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For ties at a spring wedding, go for a repeating "neat " pattern in a floral color (yellow, pink, maybe light green).

Forget the brown shoes if you have good black ones.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am due a new pair of shoes, although i'd never considered dark brown to wear with my navy suit.
You should consider it. The look can be very stylish!

brown-shoes-blue-suit-60508-1.jpg

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
The sock color clashes with the shoe. Traditionally when wearing brown shoes match the sock color to the pants, if wearing black shoes you really shouldnt deviate from black.

I guess most of us here on SF are doing it wrong
confused.gif

I think adding color to your socks is a great way to break out of the normal black on black, or sock matching your trousers look that has been ingrained in most men. It helps to keep things lively and definitely shows personality rather than just being a part of the ho-hum norm.

To each his own...

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I think adding color to your socks is a great way to break out of the normal black on black, or sock matching your trousers look that has been ingrained in most men. It helps to keep things lively and definitely shows personality rather than just being a part of the ho-hum norm.

To each his own...

Thats true, I actually love to wear colorful socks. Most of the time I wear brown shoes. I have worn colored socks with black shoes before and it looks fine but most of the time I opt for black on black. I love wearing colorful socks with brown shoes much more and opt to do so much more often. Black leather doesnt mix as well with colors as brown does.

Brownbee

Reaction score
Looking for a blue sute similar to thi style in Australia - any reccommendations on where to try?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking for a blue sute similar to thi style in Australia - any reccommendations on where to try?

Visit some shops, it ia pretty ordinary looking suit (note spelling) so the question will be getting one that fits decently at a price you are happy to pay.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads