• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Thread for Sunglasses (High End and Rarities Welcome)

Mike80

Reaction score
The Mr Leight Ichi look super fragile to me...
I actually do have a pair and wouldn't call them "super fragile". They are certainly more durable than most rimless frames, such as Silhouette. But of course, it is not a pair that I would wear on a t-shirt or throw into a backpack. They do require some care, but I guess all 700-dollar suglasses do. But on the other hand, they are very light, comfortable to wear and look quite unique.
Too bad that the case that comes with them is not so great, to say the least.
IMG_20200808_184628.jpg
Holy ****, I feel like I've found my alter ego. Completely agree about Leisure Society making the best metal frames out there.
Well, I believe I even bought on ebay one of your frames, the Salt Optics Odin, back in the day. The brown one. Nice sunglasses, but didn't like the fact that they cannot be folded flat.
One advantage that the Mykita hinge has, though, is that the glasses won't pop out so easily if you clip them in your shirt. And Mykita's designer collaborations have been a huge draw for me as well. I'd say that Mykita is better suited for a collection if you want some statement pieces, but if you can only have one and want to wear it all the time I'd go with IC! Berlin. As you pointed out, the lenses don't have the high spec bronze AR that the Mykitas do, but the IC! lenses aren't bad. I believe they use nylon and at least some of their lenses are Zeiss according to them. Definitely better quality optics than polycarbonate, but not quite up there with some of the standouts like Leisure Society, Salt, and Mykita.
What I like about Mykita sunglasses is their unique lens colors. The frame can look extremely simple, but because of the lenses the sunglasses can still "pop". Like the pair of the Mykita Jim. A quite ordinary aviator frame, but the cooper flash lenses look great. Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to see on the pictures, even high-quality ones. Most Mykita sunglasses look way better in person than on some pictures on the internet.
IMG_20200808_190959.jpg

Last edited:

ramsker

Reaction score
I actually do have a pair and wouldn't call them "super fragile". They are certainly more durable than most rimless frames, such as Silhouette. But of course, it is not a pair that I would wear on a t-shirt or throw into a backpack. They do require some care, but I guess all 700-dollar suglasses do. But on the other hand, they are very light, comfortable to wear and look quite unique.
Too bad that the case that comes with them is not so great, to say the least.
View attachment 1437896

One of my favorite frames of the last few years. The first Mr. Leight frame I got came with two cases. One leather and the other the metal one in your photo. The metal one is definitely different. Not exactly functional, but more of a showcase type of case. Seems like it should be sitting on a glass shelf or something. I thought it was nice touch.

JDelage

Reaction score
Anything I should be concerned about with regard to the many discontinued NIB Matsuda sunglasses available on eBay?

JDelage

Reaction score
What are your favorite octagonal hexagonal (6-sided) frames for a guy? Considering the JMM Wyatt but wondering about alternatives... Thank you!

Last edited:

JDelage

Reaction score
I meant hexagonal, will correct.

Those NS are nice. They also have the Chino, which are rounded and irregular 6-sided.

Last edited:

ramsker

Reaction score
Octagonal, but could be rounded and irregular, as the Wyatt are. Those NS are nice, but they're octagonal (8-sided). They also have the Chino, which are rounded and irregular 6-sided.

I think maybe the term you're looking for is geometrical, not octagonal. The Mr. Light Roku is a subtle geometrical frame that's pretty easy to wear.

1598298536569.png

Something a bit different, not sure if you've heard of T Henri. High end, edgy, sports car style flashy, bright colors. They have a newer frame that's a geometrical club master style frame. I don't think it's on their website yet but it's called the Gullwing

1598298790314.png

Attachments

• 1598298537248.png
    1598298537248.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 42

JDelage

Reaction score
I used the wrong word and I apologize for the confusion. I should have written hexagonal. This being said, I'm just as interested in the other polygonal variations. Those T Henri Gullwing are very cool!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think maybe the term you're looking for is geometrical, not octagonal. The Mr. Light Roku is a subtle geometrical frame that's pretty easy to wear.

View attachment 1446515

Something a bit different, not sure if you've heard of T Henri. High end, edgy, sports car style flashy, bright colors. They have a newer frame that's a geometrical club master style frame. I don't think it's on their website yet but it's called the Gullwing

View attachment 1446518
Not my style at all but interesting. Like a JMM version of the Clubmaster! (and more or less Octagonal!!)
As for those Rokus, they look good. I got roped into trying on a bunch of styles at a high end optical shop recently (ie NOT Sunglass Hut!) and was quite taken with the Dita Spacecraft which are a similar shape.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
What are your favorite octagonal hexagonal (6-sided) frames for a guy? Considering the JMM Wyatt but wondering about alternatives... Thank you!

I don't know if these count, but the Leisure Society Savoye is kind of hexagonal and the Voysey is kind of geometrical.

DSC_0800.JPG

Salt Optics' Dibergi is also geometrical and is supposedly an extremely popular model for them. Dita does a lot of work with sharp angles in their line as well. Mykita had an octagonal frame with Bernard Willhelm called the Ursula and Oliver Goldsmith did one that I used to have called the Kendal. That was a really neat frame; mine had layered acetate with dark black and translucent green for a faceted effect. The lenses were mediocre, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics