• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buffalo Horn Glasses Review

Markboots

Reaction score
Hi,
Wanted to provide the forum my recent eyeglasses purchase review. I have gradually transitioned to rimless eyeglasses (Lindberg are my choice) but decided I needed at least one full rim model and wanted to go bold. Acetate was not getting me excited and I already had titanium in rimless so decided after doing some research Buffalo horn would be perfect!

I went down the street to my local (expensive) eyeglass shop which won't be named and they only had one pair of Buffalo horn priced at $1,575 off the shelf. I have long temples (fancy for big head) and they were not even close to fitting, nor did I like the shape or color.

Starting researching smaller boutique outlets. Found a site that listed around 270 companies that deal with natural products and to make a long story a little shorter, I found Alexander Exotic Materials Eyewear based in Greece.

In 2002 Alexandro started crafting eyeglass frames from 100% natural materials and completely handmade. Has been in business for over 25 years. https://www.facebook.com/AEMEframes/. The team: Alexandro's Manolopoulos - Maker, Designer and Optician. Chrysa Konstantinidou - Customer Service, Assistant

To get things started, they sent me their main catalog, horn color options and care instruction guide. They also have mammoth fossil options for temple arms, more expensive option.

Their process is really cool. You send a front and side pic. Their computer program determines the correct dimension for the glasses to fit your face and allows you to see what different frames would look like on. SUPER helpful to me and the next best thing to trying on in person. The side picture allows them to determine temple length. I first gave them two models so the computer could impose on my face. They actually sent me back 7 pictures with different models but only one of the two models I picked. They said one model that I picked was not good for my face. I appreciate the honesty! The last model was a totally different one not in the catalog but based on my face was designed for me which was pretty cool.

I decided I wanted a thick pair, more horn! They gave me 3 side temple options. They also provided their opinion on what color frame would be best which I was totally in agreement with.

I also sent my prescription and ordered lens through them. I had checked an online store in the US that said they don’t deal with Buffalo horn. So, I only wanted to buy a horn frame if they also installed Rx lens. I did not want the potential headache of finding someone who could in the US and then hope prices were reasonable. From what I have read, Buffalo horn frames can be trickier to insert lens so who better to put them in then the person who made the frames? I ordered Hoya lens - high quality Japanese company. Very affordable lens pricing. Zeiss lens are also available at an upcharge. I did not get pricing on Zeiss. They provided their expert option on lens thickness. I was pushing for the 1.74 ultra thin lens but they told me I did not need to go above 1.67. Really appreciate their expert opinion and the fact they did not try and up sell lens.

I specifically asked them to take a lot of pictures of the process. One because I love learning and seeing the transformation and two so I can show members here pictures to appreciate the work involved.

I could not be happier, handmade, amazing fit pair of glasses from halfway across the world with lens already installed upon shipment! Even though Greece based, Chyrsa is fantastic at emailing you back quickly, any day or time. Very passionate about their products. I only dealt with Chrysa through email and not Alexandro.

Timeline:

1) September 14 - First contacted them. Received catalog, guide and color options

2) September 18 – Confirmed order (had back and forth emails during weekend)

3) September 29 – Glasses (Frame with Rx lens) completed and shipped.

4) October 9- Received product.

I actually started my second order before receiving the first (one for work and home). Took an existing model in their catalog and asked if they could make the frames thicker. Chrysa helped me pick frame design and I decided to go horn with a wood insert. I had Chrysa pick ideal frame and rim thickness, and also rim color. Just trust their experience more than mine. I just gave them the style I was looking for and Chrysa had my photo to guide the choices she made. They just mailed off the second pair today but had the original pair on all day yesterday and love them!

Here are the pictures! Enjoy! Any questions feel free to ask me or send them an email. The only pic I took myself was the one on the table. The others were provided to me.
Regards,
Mark
Back.jpg
Dimensions.JPG
Back.jpg
Dimensions.JPG

DSCN4223.jpg

DSCN4224.jpg

Front frame.jpg

full frame.jpg

IMG_0116.JPG

Solon1.jpg

Solon2.jpg

Solon7.jpg

Solon3.jpg

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very old fashioned.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Say what you will, it is nice to see the "old style" of frames making a come back. Classic, old-world handiwork and craftsmanship. :fonz:

Whereas that is true to an extent we all need to move on. I assume that you powered your hair and put a clean ruff on this morning?

Captain O

Reaction score
Whereas that is true to an extent we all need to move on. I assume that you powered your hair and put a clean ruff on this morning?

Only after you have turned over your crab lice. (Don't bother, they have legs on both sides). :p

Markboots

Reaction score
Adding a few more pics I just received. Not sure if you can tell from the pictures but the rims are black, different from the frame color of brown. This frame has a wood layer inside the horn frame so very interested to see how it looks in person. This is the one I asked to make thicker than their original model.
Regards,
Mark

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

Markboots

Reaction score
In general for handmade buffalo horn with lens the prices were fantastic. I never quote prices paid on here as I don't want to violate any rules. All I can say on pricing is after I got prices and started going through the ordering process I had 4 other guys from my office buy as well.
I asked them pricing on my first contact with them and they were very upfront.
Regards,
Mark

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thessaloniki, not making it there this trip. Currently on Hydra. Thanks for the review, SF needs more content like this

Fanthom

Reaction score
More importantly, how is the fit? I'd be surprised if they are able to get a good fit for your 3 dimensional head just from photographs.. Care to post any fit pictures?

Captain O

Reaction score

I gave up "Beatle Boots" and Nehru Jackets in 1970. The "John Lennon" round, metal-rimmed glasses went the "way of the wind" as well. No, some "faddish" styles weren't meant to last. The "trendy" styles never really last too long and are best left to the past. Those accouterments that serve well, endure.

Markboots

Reaction score
See PM Fanthom. I actually don't post face pics which is not uncommon here. For everyone else, the front fit was perfect. I had asked the second pair to increase the length of the rim by a couple of mm. They fit fine but my preference was to have a little bit longer rims. The catalog has almost 80 pages so it gives a lot of options and they can work with other design. As I said for my second pair I took and exisint gmodel and made them thicker
Your welcome Circumspice. Glad you liked the review. I received such great information on this website, so just trying to pay it forward.
Thessaloniki, not making it there this trip. Currently on Hydra. Thanks for the review, SF needs more content like this

More importantly, how is the fit? I'd be surprised if they are able to get a good fit for your 3 dimensional head just from photographs.. Care to post any fit pictures?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very old fashioned.

You are kidding? Like vintage is huge in optical frames. These are so similar to my excellent Tart Arnels from the 60s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads