• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After much deliberation over swatches...my first hober (and David's service) turned out to be just as excellent as this thread had led me to expect :) The brief was:
  • White on Midnight Blue Pin Dot Grenadine
  • Garza Grossa
  • 4-fold
  • 8cm/3.15in width
  • Untipped, rolled edges
  • Standard lining
  • Tack stitches in white
Awesome! I've been thinking about adding this tie to my next order, and your pics might have sealed the deal. I love pindot ties, and the fact that this one is a grenadine makes it even more appealing. Still waiting to see the new striped and pindot grenadines before I place an order, though!

Last edited:

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I've been thinking about adding this tie to my next order, and your pics might have sealed the deal. I love pindot ties, and the fact that this one is a grenadine makes it even more appealing.

Still waiting to see the new striped and pindot grenadines before I place an order, though!
There's going to be more options that aren't yet on the site? No ****?

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dude, yeah, lol. Have you not been paying attention to the "News" section at the top left of the Hober page?! David has been talking about new patterned grenadine designs (multiple stripes and one pindot) for a couple months. The silks have finally arrived and been photographed. :slayer: David told me he should have them all up on the site in 2 days or so.

Last edited:

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you gentlemen consider this colour to be versitile with different shades of blue shirts or is it too dark ? as yet i don't own many ties and this would be my first Grenadine tie . https://www.samhober.com/grenadine-fina-solid-ties/dark-purple-black-grenadine-fina-silk-tie-35.html i ment to post this one sorry but would appreciate your opinions on both .https://www.samhober.com/grenadine-piccola-silk-ties/dark-purple-piccola-grenadine-silk-tie-19.html

I think archibaldleach and tdude have brought up good points. I probably love purple or purple-based ties too much (I have a number from Hober including a pindot, grenadines, diamond weaves, etc). I tend to favor pairing them with grey suits and white shirts (often times with stripes) but that is just a personal preference. I think a pairing with a blue shirt or with a navy suit would work fine as long as there is a decent contrast in shades.

I don't have either of the ties you are linking but I do have the dark purple/black grenadine grossa and I really like it. I haven't had a chance to post a pic of it yet. I have posted pics with other purple ties in posts #1820, 1929, 2011, 2065, 2196 and 2284 if you want to take a look. To archibaldleach's point though, I don't think of purple ties as basics (but I do love me some purple!).

Last edited:

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dude, yeah, lol. Have you not been paying attention to the "News" section at the top left of the Hober page?! David has been talking about new patterned grenadine designs (multiple stripes and one pindot) for a couple months. The silks have finally arrived and been photographed.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
David told me he should have them all up on the site in 2 days or so.

Flyswatter speaks the truth...and I'm sure he would never play around with our emotions.
smile.gif
I have been waiting very patiently for the photos of the new stuff...

In the meantime, my last order included a new oxford weave and, like some of the pics that have been posted have indicated, it feels tremendous. I will be ordering more of those.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ZOMG NEW HOBER DESIGNS!! BEST DAY EVAR!!

Frigiliana

Reaction score
Sterling advise gentlemen, i mentioned my thoughts to my wife and she told me i don't need anymore ties , any suggestions ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics