• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Syeknom

Reaction score
I've found it a good idea to not mention your potential purchases to your partner (unless I actually do need someone to talk me out of buying something!). Just buy them.

Yowzer

Reaction score
If you wear them everyday, it can be a case for another one....
nod[1].gif
any reason to celebrate? a milestone etc.? Good excuse to do so... but good to step back and lay the lot out on the bed sometimes. Gives you perspective... on what else is missing... or not...

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sterling advise gentlemen, i mentioned my thoughts to my wife and she told me i don't need anymore ties , any suggestions ?

Well this bit of information changes things, sounds like you may have the basics covered in which case purple is a great addition to a tie collection! Either of the ties you are considering would be great.

WRT the wife, it is always better to ask for forgiveness than permission. That has been my philosophy with my wife for over 20 years and it hasn't let me down yet. However YMMV.

:D

Last edited:

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's Hober is the royal blue grenadine fina (standard 4-fold construction). Won't be SF-approved but it brightens up an otherwise dreary day here in the ATL.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's Hober is the royal blue grenadine fina (standard 4-fold construction). Won't be SF-approved but it brightens up an otherwise dreary day here in the ATL.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sterling advise gentlemen, i mentioned my thoughts to my wife and she told me i don't need anymore ties , any suggestions ?

If you already have a decent amount of basics, then purple is definitely a solid addition to a collection.

With respect to your wife, get the ties delivered to the office. Also, forgiveness vs. permission and all.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WRT the wife, it is always better to ask for forgiveness than permission. That has been my philosophy with my wife for over 20 years and it hasn't let me down yet. However YMMV.

biggrin.gif
B/I/U'd the most important part.

My girlfriend walked in my closet and said, "Jesus! Three solid blue shirts! Do you have enough blue?" (straightest face possible) "No."

I tried to explain blue is the most versatile and pick and pick, poplin, chambray and linen/cotton blends are not the same, but she said, "You know, if you dress the same every day, it's not REALLY well dressed."

So let's just hope nobody asks about the freshly dug up mound of dirt in the back yard. RIP babe. kidding. For now......

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

B/I/U'd the most important part.

My girlfriend walked in my closet and said, "Jesus! Three solid blue shirts! Do you have enough blue?" (straightest face possible) "No."

I tried to explain blue is the most versatile and pick and pick, poplin, chambray and linen/cotton blends are not the same, but she said, "You know, if you dress the same every day, it's not REALLY well dressed." 

Haha, good luck with that. Pointing out the slight variances in color did not work I take it?

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. She agreed the differences were there for the "chambray" which is not really chambray. More of a fine stripe. It's a new collar/cuff, along with a softer fabric. She said she can understand that. But two of them are the exact same shirt with a seriously slight change in color. I kind of have to take her side.

But what is she going to do when I order more blues in a different style that I like? :) She'll have to deal.

I told her about this little guy (
foo.gif
) that has nothing but blue shirts, except one or two bengal stripes, and she said it was the dumbest thing she's ever heard.

Whatever. I think once I hit like eight solid blue shirts of different fabrics, I'll stop. Focus more on stripes. Drive her nuts!!

On a more Hober note, she gets so irritated when I buy ties. I don't have to wear ties to work. I work for a college, they're all quite relaxed. It actually looks really out of place if I wear them. So I get them just for fun, really. She's like, "Seriously. Ok, let's see. Let's say each tie cost $60?" "$100 is more accurate.." "Jesus Christ. Ok, $100... $200.. $300.. Car payment.. $400.. $500.. $600.. Car payment and mortgage.. . $700.. $800.. $900... $1000...Carpayment, mortgage, electric, water... $1110.... $1120... $1130... Next months car payment..

And this is why I love her. She can dish as much as she takes.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a more Hober note, she gets so irritated when I buy ties. I don't have to wear ties to work. I work for a college, they're all quite relaxed. It actually looks really out of place if I wear them. So I get them just for fun, really. She's like, "Seriously. Ok, let's see. Let's say each tie cost $60?" "$100 is more accurate.." "Jesus Christ. Ok, $100... $200.. $300.. Car payment.. $400.. $500.. $600.. Car payment and mortgage.. . $700.. $800.. $900... $1000...Carpayment, mortgage, electric, water... $1110.... $1120... $1130... Next months car payment..

Your mortgage payment is $300? Cripes...

You correct her on the price?

Last edited:

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You correct her on the price?
I just let her go. It's not my mortgage payment, it's hers and she lets me know what she needs. I don't own the house :-D

Frigiliana

Reaction score
Three is too many in her eyes . To be honest I'm a big James Bond fan so the connection to Bond swayed it for me to go for a Grenadine, i believe Sean Connery wore one , can't remember which film it was maybe Dr No.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads