A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior member

I've found it a good idea to not mention your potential purchases to your partner (unless I actually do need someone to talk me out of buying something!). Just buy them.

2. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

If you wear them everyday, it can be a case for another one.... [​IMG] any reason to celebrate? a milestone etc.? Good excuse to do so... but good to step back and lay the lot out on the bed sometimes. Gives you perspective... on what else is missing... or not...

3. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

Well this bit of information changes things, sounds like you may have the basics covered in which case purple is a great addition to a tie collection! Either of the ties you are considering would be great.

WRT the wife, it is always better to ask for forgiveness than permission. That has been my philosophy with my wife for over 20 years and it hasn't let me down yet. However YMMV.

:D

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  4. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Senior member

When i get to a proper keyboard this pm i will wrote it up. I consider it essential lnowledge for grenadine fans.

5. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is the royal blue grenadine fina (standard 4-fold construction). Won't be SF-approved but it brightens up an otherwise dreary day here in the ATL.

[​IMG]

6. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

[​IMG]

7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

If you already have a decent amount of basics, then purple is definitely a solid addition to a collection.

With respect to your wife, get the ties delivered to the office. Also, forgiveness vs. permission and all.

8. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

B/I/U'd the most important part.

My girlfriend walked in my closet and said, "Jesus! Three solid blue shirts! Do you have enough blue?" (straightest face possible) "No."

I tried to explain blue is the most versatile and pick and pick, poplin, chambray and linen/cotton blends are not the same, but she said, "You know, if you dress the same every day, it's not REALLY well dressed."

So let's just hope nobody asks about the freshly dug up mound of dirt in the back yard. RIP babe. kidding. For now......

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Haha, good luck with that. Pointing out the slight variances in color did not work I take it?

10. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

No. She agreed the differences were there for the "chambray" which is not really chambray. More of a fine stripe. It's a new collar/cuff, along with a softer fabric. She said she can understand that. But two of them are the exact same shirt with a seriously slight change in color. I kind of have to take her side.

But what is she going to do when I order more blues in a different style that I like? :) She'll have to deal.

I told her about this little guy ([​IMG]) that has nothing but blue shirts, except one or two bengal stripes, and she said it was the dumbest thing she's ever heard.

Whatever. I think once I hit like eight solid blue shirts of different fabrics, I'll stop. Focus more on stripes. Drive her nuts!!

On a more Hober note, she gets so irritated when I buy ties. I don't have to wear ties to work. I work for a college, they're all quite relaxed. It actually looks really out of place if I wear them. So I get them just for fun, really. She's like, "Seriously. Ok, let's see. Let's say each tie cost $60?" "$100 is more accurate.." "Jesus Christ. Ok, $100... $200.. $300.. Car payment.. $400.. $500.. $600.. Car payment and mortgage.. . $700.. $800.. $900... $1000...Carpayment, mortgage, electric, water... $1110.... $1120... $1130... Next months car payment..

And this is why I love her. She can dish as much as she takes.

11. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Your mortgage payment is $300? Cripes...

12. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

You correct her on the price?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  13. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I just let her go. It's not my mortgage payment, it's hers and she lets me know what she needs. I don't own the house :-D

14. pinkpanther

Yes...I know...but I made a deal (with myself) that I would post a pic of each of my Hober's and I'm sticking to it...even if it means some pain for others. [​IMG]

15. Frigiliana

Frigiliana Well-Known Member

Three is too many in her eyes . To be honest I'm a big James Bond fan so the connection to Bond swayed it for me to go for a Grenadine, i believe Sean Connery wore one , can't remember which film it was maybe Dr No.