1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Engi

Engi Senior member

Still one month wait ... :brick:

1 person likes this.
  2. Da GOAT

Da GOAT Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Still looking to buy my first Hober.

Have chatted with them but struggle with picking demensions.

I'll need 63" long tie, want Grenadines first. Shouldi go 3.5 width or should've I jump to 3.75? Also what fold, I usually just do a basic knot.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  3. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

If you're undecided between 3.5 and 3.75, you could always compromise and go with 3 5/8.

As for construction, I'm very happy with the standard (lined 4-fold) for my grenadines. Plenty of heft yet not bulky, drapes nicely, makes a great four-in-hand knot: perfect size, great dimple, and stays tight throughout the day. That said, the only other construction method I've tried for grenadines is an unlined 7-fold. The other popular construction choice around here is lined 6-fold. That seems like it would be too thick for me (especially a grossa), but like I said I haven't tried it and there are many here who really like this construction method.

Whatever you decide on, you'll be getting a great tie and will surely come back for more, so don't sweat it too much and have some fun experimenting to find what you like best. :nodding:

2 people like this.
  4. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

Yes

Yes

Yes

Or...we/I can just order more grenadines/Macclesfields/diamond weaves/oxford weaves/wool challis/etc/etc in the meantime. :nodding:

Yes

+ lots - very sound advice

1 person likes this.
  5. tdude

tdude Senior member

Or...we/I can just order more grenadines/Macclesfields/diamond weaves/oxford weaves/wool challis/etc/etc in the meantime.

:lol:

:nodding:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I'd think that group therapy and the repeat enabling that this thread can cause would be mutually exclusive. Not that I'm complaining...

2 people like this.
  7. QVT93

QVT93 Member

I'm getting my first diamond weave and first pin dot! Another macclesfield as well. Have yet to decide on if I like the grenadines as much as y'all do. David is great though, and I'm done buying ties anywhere else (except maybe canali on sale).

1 person likes this.
  8. tdude

tdude Senior member

You're almost beyond hope like the rest of us, but that lingering longing for canali sales suggests we haven't enabled you quite enough yet . . . . .

2 people like this.
  9. pazzion

pazzion Senior member

I tried my new midnight blue grenadine grossa with off-white stripes today. It's the first time I've ever worn an unlined 7-fold tie, and I like it a lot! It was a bit trickier to get a nice dimple from than my lined 6-folds and standard 4-folds, but it arches beautifully and stays in place all day. It's also so light. I ordered a silk tie in an unlined 7-fold construction for my last order as well, so I'll probably use that some time this week or the next.

The midnight blue base and the off-white stripes are so beautifully deep and subdued, yet elegant, when out in the sunlight. I really like it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    4 people like this.
  10. Kroaker

Kroaker Senior member

Agreed, that is one of my favorite Hobers!

1 person likes this.
  11. tdude

tdude Senior member

[​IMG]

Reread this one this morning.

I suspect a lot of us once identified with calvin, now we turn to internet anonymity to validate our efforts to wear ties when we don't have to! :laugh:

2 people like this.
  12. pinkpanther

Spot. On.

:bounce2:

1 person likes this.
  13. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is another repeat from April and is the Macclesfield ancient madder print #6 (6-fold construction).

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

amazing

15. tdude

tdude Senior member

Thanks thinkderm. Hopefully David can restock 193. I think it's now my favorite navy neat.

PP, I have an unnatural fear of paisley, but I love madder and I have that one in a square!

Today's I don't think I've posted before. Blue challis. Love challis.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. pinkpanther

1 person likes this.
  17. DayTripper

DayTripper Senior member

I never realized how much I needed an ancient madder and wool challis tie until now. Now it feels like there's a void in my life that can only be filled by more ties.

Btw, can ancient madder be worn year-round or is it best suited for fall weather?

2 people like this.
  18. MrChris

MrChris Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Nice tie. I wore mine yesterday. The tie is very subtle from a distance, yet full of detail the closer one gets.

That shade of green is quite rare in the world of ties..

1 person likes this.
  20. sftiger

sftiger Senior member

What is that shirt? Really nice collar.