• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
I ordered my first two ties from SH. I'm used to wearing cheaper ties, like $20-40 range. This will be my first "nice tie" pickup. I went with grenadine midnight blue and also a grenadine burgundy since they should match basic navy or grey suits.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all who chimed in to my inquiry...also, what's the difference between Grenadine FIna vs. Piccola. The later is described as slightly larger weave. Is it very noticeable?

ddgdl

Reaction score
Thanks to all who chimed in to my inquiry...also, what's the difference between Grenadine FIna vs. Piccola. The later is described as slightly larger weave. Is it very noticeable?

From what I've read, though I haven't seen it in person to verify, the difference is minimal. Fina is ever so slightly tighter than Piccola, but unless you are looking at them side by side you can't tell.

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered my first two ties from SH. I'm used to wearing cheaper ties, like $20-40 range. This will be my first "nice tie" pickup. I went with grenadine midnight blue and also a grenadine burgundy since they should match basic navy or grey suits.
Excellent. Never mind navy, midnight blue is what you want.

From what I've read, though I haven't seen it in person to verify, the difference is minimal. Fina is ever so slightly tighter than Piccola, but unless you are looking at them side by side you can't tell.

But the colors of two analogous hues vary across the two weaves, correct? E.g. brown vs. brown

gocubbies

Reaction score

I have a piccola and a fina swatch right in front of me. The difference in the appearance of the weave is basically nonexistent. Even with the two right next to each other, visually it's really almost a microscopic difference.

One distinction between the two (though still very similar) is the feel of the fabric. I'm no tailor, so I'll do my best to explain it as I can. I can feel the "undulations" of the weave a bit more on the fina when running my finger across it. The piccola feels just a touch more uniform/smooth. Again, this is a very slight difference.

Bottom line, they're basically the same.

Swiper

Reaction score
Just ordered my 4th and 5th Hober ties...can't wait!

Just want to echo what others have said concerning David...he truly is a class act. I had a problem with one tie during shipment and David went far beyond my expectations in correcting the issue.

Some pics of my first three...

Burgundy Piccola 4-fold, Macclesfield #83 6-fold

Macclesfield #135 6-fold

Don't know why some pics are larger...same dimensions??

Color balance is a bit off...probably due to using both room lights and bounced flash as well as processing...having red-green color blindness doesn't help!

The color of all the ties are a bit darker and richer especially the blue which is a much deeper blue and more muted in real life.

Last edited:

dimitrioup

Reaction score
Just received my first hober tie a garza grossa grey/silver as well as some grenadine swatches. The tie is great! Haven't worn it yet but visually it's lovely (though a bit lighter colored than I thought). I'll post pictures later

JimC

Reaction score
My brand new Glen Check. What a beautiful and well made tie! Thank you David.

Please excuse my rough first ever attempt at a dimple.

MattSF

Reaction score
Wearing one of my new Hober ties:

Looking good! Can't wait to receive my first order of Hober ties. I placed it a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully they are getting close to shipping any day now...

DayTripper

Reaction score
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on my first SH tie. I'm going with http://www.samhober.com/plaid-silk-ties/plaid-silk-necktie-8.html since I have two weddings coming up. I also plan on ordering some swatches along with it to help me on my next purchase.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what pocket square I could order to go with this tie? I'd be wearing it with a navy suit and the only PS I own is the standard white linen. I know it's a more formal tie so white linen is probably best, but I'd like to start building up my collection and I want to know if anybody has any other opinion. Thank you all for your help.

PMac

Reaction score
4 more Hobers inbound. Placed an order for:

- Burgundy Fina #3
- White on Dark Navy Pin-Dot #1
- Navy Solid Challis #5
- Macclesfield #165

These will be added to Grenadine Grossa #6 and #8.

The Silverfox

Reaction score

My brand new Glen Check. What a beautiful and well made tie! Thank you David. Please excuse my rough first ever attempt at a dimple.
I have that one as well, though your picture does the it way more justice than mine did. I think it's probably my favourite tie. Wonderful pattern and just the right size, big enough to be interesting while small enough to blend together for a harmonious whole I sorta like the "dimple", looks nice as it's not too polished but a bit haphazard. Looks elegant without looking studied.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swatch books for grenadine grossa solid, grenadine grossa striped and linen arrived today. Ended up ordering the powder blue linen (LT-4) and powder blue and brown stripes and midnight blue grenadine (GST-3). Had to put the grenadine grossa solid swatch books away before I did something stupid like order one of everything I didn't already have.

I have that one as well, though your picture does the it way more justice than mine did. I think it's probably my favourite tie. Wonderful pattern and just the right size, big enough to be interesting while small enough to blend together for a harmonious whole

Agreed. That tie looks lovely. This thread is terrible for my budget.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads