Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

I've waiting for a restock of the silk material so that I can have the same tie made...been waiting a while but have it saved in my wishlist. I believe it's under English pattern.

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

The deep red striped tie is one of the Italian Stripe Silk Ties (either #3 or #7, the dark blue striped tie being the other). The lavender with white and midnight blue striped tie was at one point known as English Striped Silk Tie #39. I tried finding these on the Hober website to confirm but to no avail. Might be worth PMing David to see if he has the silks / is planning to get them back. Closer up picture of the two ties is below:

[​IMG]

The red striped tie is pretty close to how it looks IRL, though the picture deprives the lavender stripe tie of some of its richness.

3. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Note that you'll probably have separate duty charges for DHL.

4. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

$35 into Canada on my last order. Bull$#|+.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i was quite pleased with DHL, as well.

silverfox - great collection, and nice to see them being worn. i too have that first one you posted, and i love it.

archibaldleach - awesome, thanks for posting the collection.

6. MattSF

MattSF Well-Known Member

Eh, I'd rather get them in 2-3 days with duty charges than 2-3 weeks without (I'm anxious to get my hands on some Hobers, lol). Thanks for the heads-up though!

7. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Trying to figure out the correct length. I thought for some reason RTW ties were about 57" long.

Just measured several of mine (Marinella, Drakes, Cappelli) and they are about 62/3". I'd prefer a custom tie to be about an inch longer for a perfect fit, which would mean a length of 64".

Does this sound too long for someone who wears a 16" collar, 42" chest and is approx 6ft3?

8. MattSF

MattSF Well-Known Member

FWIW, I wear a 17" collar, have a 45" chest, and am around 6'6". I normally wear Brioni ties, which are a little longer than usual, but are around 61". Those ties are definitely too short, as the smaller end of the tie barely fits through the keeper. Based on David's tie measurement recommendations, 64" is the proper length for me. Everyone wears their ties differently, as well as their pants at different heights, has longer or shorter torsos, etc. From the information you provided though, it sounds like 64" should be right for you.

9. Cuttingboard

Yes, the only measurement that matters is from your belt to neck. I buy a 57 inch tie.

10. MattSF

MattSF Well-Known Member

Not being argumentative, just trying to understand. How can that be the only measurement that matters? If he wears 62/3" ties right now, how can 57" be the correct length?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

11. Cuttingboard

There's some variables such as type of knot and where he wants the small blade to hang in relation to the large blade and where one wears their pants (natural waist or lower). I normally wear 57 and use a four in hand knot, if I used a half Windsor knot, I was told to add 2" and more for full Windsor. Length is based on the front and back blade being even at the belt. I measured my Drake's ties and they are 58 1/2 inches. I prefer the small back blade to be about 3/4 of the way down the large front blade.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

12. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

6' 2.5" here. I wear 57" Hober ties, four in hand. I like the back blade a few inches shorter than the front. I may also have a shorter torso as some 59.5/60 ties are too long for me.

13. Big Texas

Big Texas Senior member

Recently I conducted a fierce and judicious purge of my overly large tie collection, culling about 50% of the herd. Anything that hadn't been worn more than a couple times a year got the axe. As an exercise in intellectual honesty, I didn't look at any of the labels before making the decisions. I didn't want to spare an ugly or underutilized tie simply on account of a Kiton label, for example.

As it so happened, 100% of my Hober ties survived the massacre. I may even steadily replace my remaining ties with Hober equivalents. They are that good.

14. gocubbies

gocubbies Member

Hi all. I stumbled upon this thread a few weeks ago. After spending some (probably way too much) time reading through this entire thread, I ordered some swatches. After receiving them, I've decided to order my first Hober, a navy grenadine tie. Looking forward to it. I'm confident it'll live up to the hype.

15. Renton

Renton Senior member

Which grenadine did you choose?