1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Rare Opportunity - Experts Available in Person

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Alexander Kabbaz, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Whereas... the below might be frowned upon [​IMG]

2. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Chuck - You PROMISED you wouldn't post that photo. Your peace necklace is askew, Joelle's roots are showing, and my vodka bottle is visible in the lower portion.

3. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Alex, attempting to cover this up will do you no good. Enquiring minds want to know whether the fact that you're not wearing a Carlo Franco tie is indicative of a nasty falling-out between you two.

4. Alexander Kabbaz

Well, I never... I most certainly am wearing a Carlo Franco tie. You just can't see it under my Darren Beaman waistcoat because it is holding up my Carlo Franco trousers. Otherwise, they would break too low and hide my Budapests.

5. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Oh let's be fair, I never take credit for another designer's work. Â PimpDaddy.com needs the credit here so I am inviting them to join our little soiree. Â Look how nice Manton looks in their bespoke finery [​IMG]

6. ernest

ernest Senior member

I can offer you a subway ticket in Paris.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(Alexander Kabbaz @ Feb. 07 2005,03:54) A couple of quick notes: Yes ... we've discussed the idea of 'taking it on the road', and thanks for asking. It is a distinct possibility for the future ... after we see how the first one goes. Especially now that tiger02 has offered us four round-trip tickets to Frankfurt. Thanks, tiger. [​IMG] And for those who have wondered - we purposely did not ask your Membername on the invitation request form so as to preserve the anonyminity afforded by the forum.
    I can offer you a subway ticket in Paris.
    HAHAHAHAHA Jon.

8. jerrysfriend

jerrysfriend Senior member

This is going to be the most notorious clothing (or lack thereof) event at the Regency Hotel since the one mentioned here, which took place in room 514.

"Frank Gifford's Mistress Exposed in Playboy
    "by Marcus Errico
    Aug 8, 1997, 6:20 PM PT

"Better cover your eyes, Kathie Lee: Wayward hubby Frank Gifford's onetime paramour, Suzen Johnson, will bare all in November's Playboy, sources at the magazine confirmed Friday.

"For those of you comatose for the past few months, Johnson is the curvy temptress who led the 66-year-old Gifford to her hidden-camera-equipped room at New York's Regency Hotel last spring. Now, the 47-year-old bombshell, currently on leave from TWA, is cashing in on her 15 minutes. 'There's a Suzen Johnson pictorial in the November issue. It has already been shot,' said a Playboy staffer, requesting anonymity. 'I don't think it's been decided whether she'll be on the cover. She may be.' The issue will be on newsstands by early October.

"According to reports, photographer Stephen Wayda shot Johnson in a hotel room setting for five days about two weeks ago. No word on whether said hotel room resembled her Regency love nest.

"Johnson received a six-figure sum for the spread. Add that to the reported $75,000 she picked up from the Globe for luring Frank to the Regency, and the curvy blonde has turned a nifty profit on her dalliance.

"Meanwhile, the Globe, which has published photos and transcripts of the encounter, continues to get its money's worth, milking the tryst for all the ink its worth. The latest edition of the tab quotes a Playboy source who claims readers will 'be stunned when they see how beautiful and voluptuous Suzen is' and will 'know immediately what it is that attracted Frank Gifford to her.'

"The weekly, which previously reported that Johnson might be carrying the Giff's love child, also says the curvy adulteress suffered a miscarriage shortly after wrapping the rigorous Playboy shoot."

9. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Alex - we need to send one more invitation [​IMG]

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I'm curious, if I were to schedule (which I'm not) and you met a 22 year old named Jon, do you think that you couldn't figure out my screen name? [​IMG] Jon.

11. Alexander Kabbaz

A member called to R.S.V.P. for the Sartorial Excellence event today with a great idea. Net result - I'll be bringing an iron, a spray bottle ... and my laundry ... to the event. Demonstrations will take place every hour on the half-hour. That is, until someone shows up with one of those la-de-dah red wines advertised in the Black Suit thread. No, Chuck. I shall be demonstrating on my laundry, not yours. But nice try.

12. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Oh dear... I hope we're talking an ironing demonstration on a dress shirt and not a pile of Alex's dirty thongs... Zimmerli or not.

13. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

depends what watch he was wearing

14. jester

jester Senior member

I was going to bring a selection of bourbons for us to argue over....

Is Gabor going to be taking measurements for bespoke shoes at this event (or during this trip)? Would this meeting be enough, for those of us not travelling to Budapest in the near future?

15. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I spoke with Gabor, he will be taking special orders - your choice of model, last, and leather (within reason of course.) So if you want the custom shoes, a Budapest trip is still in order.

It will still be quite an opportunity though, I hope a good number of forum members will get a chance to take advantage of it. I wish I could be there myself.

Also, Gabor will have the remaining samples with him from the sample sale in the buy/sell section.

As for shell cordovan Budapests from Vass, I know Gabor has a pair, so I'm pretty sure they can be ordered...

16. rsp1

rsp1 Senior member

A Harris - Could you please clarify -- for those of us who want to order Vass shoes, but do not know our size, will he be performing sizing? Thanks.

17. jester

jester Senior member

And what is the pricing going to be (roughly) for the special orders on this trip?

18. InPa

InPa Well-Known Member

I'm curious as well - Vass pricing? Also, Chuck - can you give any specifics about the pants offering?

19. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

We'll be showing the trouser but they will not be for sale yet. We have the design finalized and the prototypes made but will be getting a little feedback on fabrics at the event. What I want to gauge is whether it is worthwhile to most people to pay a bit more to get fabrics you usually do not find in a ready to wear trouser. For example, a nice, good quality super 120's from one of the good Biella mills versus a a truly premium fabric from Carlo Barbera, Scabal, Piacenza, Holland & Sherry... that class. Our thought is that 50 folks make trousers in the former range, damned few make them in the latter. Just one of those details you want to doublecheck before you start writing 6 figure fabric orders... call me chicken [​IMG] I know what I would say about the trousers, I want to shut up (Boston won the Series, anything is possible) and let you tell me about them in New York. In the end, I can only wear so many of them so what you think is slightly more important :) One thing - some of what we plan is practical, some is silly. Nobody NEEDS trousers in the worsted Barbera cashmere any more than anyone needs a Bentley... but it does alleviate the tedium of ordinary life now doesn't it? Jill just wondered aloud how long it will take for someone to flame Bentley now that the name has been mentioned. Right now my main concern is keeping my guys feet to the fire as the "Gee, can we deliver the day AFTER you leave Italy" emails flow in... at least the replies are short: NO. LOL, pass the antacid laced Bourbon please.

20. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Gabor will likely have a pretty good range of samples, accurate charts, and a Brannock device, so he should be able to help you with the sizing.

As for prices, I'm not ignoring you guys, I just don't have the price list yet. I should be able to post it tomorrow.