1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A Rare Opportunity - Experts Available in Person

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Alexander Kabbaz, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Carlo

Carlo Distinguished Member

The idea has been evolving for a while now. Since those vendors putting this on aren't generally seen in stores the idea of being able to look, touch, ask questions and chat a bit seemed appropriate.

If this goes well we'll look into expanding it a bit and putting it on the road. As for Jill and I we plan to show our next collection of ties, the new shirt, the debut of our trouser line and the long overdue 'Socksperiment'. Due to the nature of our business and the limitiations of the internet it is invaluable for us to show folks what we are doing first hand, answer questions, get feedback etcetera. It helps me to see what people go to first, what makes them say WOW and what textures/colors/patterns hold their attention. Jill and I have been way behind lately due to some unforseen family emergencies but are racing to get everything ready and I'll be flying to Italy the week before to bring everything back (not trusting Fedex for this one.). We're doing some hiring to help free us from the office a bit so we can focus on new lines and getting our line in front of people. We've gone slow but now it's time to get it out there,

I would imagine that Darren and Alex can demonstrate various aspects of their garments much better with a "Look here" than a long written description (though Alex is gifted in his written descriptions.).

..and I want to see those shoes :)

2. harveyfairport

harveyfairport New Member

Alex Kabbaz it is noted that this forum is for gentlemen, so I will try my best to adhere to that tenet. That said, it is unfortunate that you have knowingy lied about Raphael's responsibilities while at Alan Flusser's firm. Raphael was not the alterations tailor, as you wrongly stated. The fact is Raphael was Alan's head tailor and, in fact, the joke has always been that Raphael was more Alan Flusser than Alan Flusser himself, having worked closely with Alan to create his famous silhouette. Further, you suggest that you and Raphael are good friends, when the reality is you and Raphael crossed paths in a very, very peripheral, minor way, when you and Alan had your famous screaming matches. Raphael would not recognize you if you were standing right in front of him. Alex, it's great that you're trying to resusitate your business on the Internet (I guess the marketplace for exhorbitantly priced shirts is drying up), but you know this is a small industry, so let's try to not play fast and loose with the facts. Be a gentleman.

3. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Distinguished Member

HarveyFairport So I suppose, Marc, that means you aren't coming?

4. PHV

PHV Senior Member

I am an outsider in this debate, but given that it is a public forum, I think you should practice what you preach. Your insinuations are less than gentlemanly, and you only came here to slam Kabbaz.

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

steeeve. steeeve. steeeve. steeeve.

6. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior Member

(harveyfairport @ Feb. 07 2005,13:00) Alex Kabbaz it is noted that this forum is for gentlemen, so I will try my best to adhere to that tenet. That said, it is unfortunate that you have knowingy lied about Raphael's responsibilities while at Alan Flusser's firm. Â Raphael was not the alterations tailor, as you wrongly stated. Â The fact is Raphael was Alan's head tailor and, in fact, the joke has always been that Raphael was more Alan Flusser than Alan Flusser himself, having worked closely with Alan to create his famous silhouette. Â Further, you suggest that you and Raphael are good friends, when the reality is you and Raphael crossed paths in a very, very peripheral, minor way, when you and Alan had your famous screaming matches. Â Raphael would not recognize you if you were standing right in front of him. Â Alex, it's great that you're trying to resusitate your business on the Internet (I guess the marketplace for exhorbitantly priced shirts is drying up), but you know this is a small industry, so let's try to not play fast and loose with the facts. Â Be a gentleman.
    I am an outsider in this debate, but given that it is a public forum, I think you should practice what you preach. Your insinuations are less than gentlemanly, and you only came here to slam Kabbaz.
    Agreed.

7. Alexander Kabbaz

PHV and MisterBowles Thank you, both, very much. However, as even spurious allegations merit response, I'll be as specific as a weak, old, aged memory can: At the time, all of Alan's shirts were made by me and all of Alan's suits were made by the venerable Martin Greenfield. To the best of my knowledge, no suits or shirts were made on Alan's premises. The only operations performed there were alterations. Doesn't really matter who they were done by - they were alterations, plain and simple. Head tailor, alterations tailor, bushelman - the terminology is unimportant. Also, to the best of my knowledge, Alan and I, who have had a relationship going back a quarter century, have never screamed at each other. Now, perhaps Mr. Grayson will restrain himself once again, and we can return to trying to arrange an enjoyable event for all? EDIT: Shirtmaven was just kind enough to refresh my memory. Not all of the suits mentioned were made by Greenfield. Some were made by Adrian Jules, another well-known M-T-M wholesale maker.

8. Alexander Kabbaz

P.S. STEEEEEEEEEEVE.

9. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Noted, IM'd to J. Thread locked till we deal with sit'n.

10. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

"Harvey", you had best substantiate your claims or apologize. I don't want to empower you by locking this thread and any you see fit to nose in on, troll or bait. I don't have time for this crap. If I have to go any further out of my way during my workday (or for that matter my free time), I will be even less pleased and will consider other options.

This goes for other well-known disruptors who have recently decided to rejoin us, and have so far behaved reasonably well.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

Is no one content with just trading sartorial information anymore? Must everything end in fights and locked threads?

Jon.

12. tdial

tdial Senior Member

I certainly don't have a dog in this hunt, but it occurs to me that someone with such "fine taste" and considerable consumption of expensive and finely tailored clothing sure does behave like a 5-year old. Pity too, since I like reading his analyses/experiences when he checks his bile at the door (which unfortunately, happens all too infrequently lately).

But I hope this doesn't rain on the parade of what is truly a great event. I'm looking into booking travel for this, since I wouldn't miss the opportunity to not only further enhance my sartorial knowledge, but meet some of the folks I enjoy reading so much on this here board.

13. Alexander Kabbaz

tdial Being so presumptious as to assume you're including me, thank you very much. Alex

14. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Alan's First RTW line was made in 1981 or 1982 by HErtling Industries. A natural shoulder suitmaker in Brooklyn that is out of business. Julie Hertling is just making trousers in Greenpoint Brooklyn these days.

Jerry Asterita, I know the spelling must be wrong Was the head designer at Hertling at that time. He made the first patterns. HIs comment to me in his barely understandable english, with a cigerette hanging out of his mouth was. "We made this suit in italy 40 years ago". He was from Naples.

Rapahel was just one of many tailors who took garments apart and put them back together to get them out the door.
    It was a huge job considering the number of mistakes that were always being made.

15. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Actually, as a proud parent of a five year old, I'd say considerably younger...

I don't understand all the back and forth about who the alterations tailors are, and who cuts and who sews. The bottom line should be if the garment is beautiful to its wearer, and if the purchaser feels it's worth the investment.

The rest is just p***n in the wind.