• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

7 spending tips from Frugal Billionaires

hermes man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Americans take the advise of the media in many important life matters, money, investing principles, relationships, marriage, kids, etc. The media manipulates the "advise" it gives to fit its own purpose. In this country, media is King.

Proper education of these matters should begin at home. Only after a solid grounding of these principles can a person "decode" what he/she hears from other sources is in his/her best interests or not. But then again, proper upbringing is (conveniently) discouraged by the media. The media brainwashes Americans into believing that having a brain is a liability.

thats why fox news still doing fine all this while
laugh.gif

ajv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
lapo-elkann4.jpg

Born in the US (New York), educated all over the world.........and likes flashes (in every sense of the word)

Adrian

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Allen
You know... this is quite old so I'll give you the short version. But everybody knows what Bill Gates could buy: thousands of cars, small countries, the Moon, so on, but perhaps what he need to spend money on most is a new pair of glasses and some hair conditioner.
I am really pissed off by all those articles on the net and in financial magazines about "frugal" billionaires and how they live below their means and so on, but you know what I say? I say that's BS. Why in God's name would I want to have piles of money twice as big as Scrooge McDuck if I live below my means? I mean, I can look under my couch for change and eat peanut butter on bread without being rich.
pffff... frugal billionaires. I think they just want us to think they also have to make savings just so we don't throw tomatoes at them

As someone on the other end of the billionaire spectrum I often see the these yokel near-millionaires buy up all these damn toys that they never use, but waste time and money collecting them only to have them sit around and rot. There comes a certain point where you simply do not need more toys or luxury items. It also depends on the person, obsessive Warren Buffet is more interested in reading financial statistics than the latest billionaire "must haves". "Frugal billionaires" is a bunch of BS. Buying off the rack or getting a bespoke suit is not going to make a dent in your fortune.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
My thought precisely. Is there a return to AAAC in my future? I may need to brush-up on those Andy Dollars and how they are best spent.

I was told that my thinking was too liberal for AAAC ... and that it wasn't "polite" to be a limousine liberal. But now that I'm out of a major metropolitan area (for the most part) I've given up the driver for an old car of my own. Of course, I still do keep a "driver" and crew for the "boat." Now ... if I could get the neighbor to stop calling it the cruise ship ... perhaps the coastal commission would allow me to dredge the dock to allow for the draft ... and the local planning department would permit expanding the docking facilities needed to accommodate the length.

FYI ... I've fined tuned my post for the specifics of this thread.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
The beauty of America is that nobody teaches these poor rich kids what to do with their inheritances, and so they squander the **** out of it and end up less happy than they would have been if they never received a penny.
Bull...****!

You call 300 Savile Row commissioned pieces squandering? I call it investing in my sartorial future.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
FYI ... I've fined tuned my post for the specifics of this thread.

Originally Posted by RSS
You call 300 Savile Row commissioned pieces squandering? I call it investing in my sartorial future.

300 is pretty reasonable...still under one year's worth of clothes.

- B

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The beauty of America is that nobody teaches these poor rich kids what to do with their inheritances, and so they squander the **** out of it and end up less happy than they would have been if they never received a penny. My older sister had a friend at Brown who sued her parents for control of her trust and then spent it in a month. Repeat: in a month, with the help of a boyfriend who broke up with her not long after the honeymoon was over. Fancy that! Poor girl had nothing to show for it except parents that hated her guts and disinherited her from the fortune that awaited her upon their respective deaths. I don't know why, but I get an evil/sick pleasure out of this story. Not so much because of the misery the girl must have felt afterward (which makes me momentarily sad), but moreso because of the humorous side effects of our insanely materialistic, consumer-driven society. It's not like this in Europe, where rich kids know how to behave. American rich kids...always a spectacle.

That's a very long way of saying cocaine.

300 is pretty reasonable...still under one year's worth of clothes.

- B

Far less if you consider dressing for dinner every night.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Bull...****!

Is that you, Grayson?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
All the responses to this thread are dead on.

This is why I love the Style Forum.

When we're done figuring out how billionaires think, let's start dissecting the minds of great artists, including dead ones like Picasso and Eric Glennie.

Originally Posted by ohm
Far less if you consider dressing for dinner every night.

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
eek.gif
I didn't even think of that! You're right!!!

I don't think RSS counting his Siren Suits, you know, for gardening, throwing* pots, and beating the help.

- B

* This is millionaire-ese for "smoking."

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is that you, Grayson?
No ... I've paid too many compliments to Richard Anderson.

Is that you FNB? In all honesty ... I miss him.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think RSS counting his Siren Suits, you know, for gardening, throwing* pots, and beating the help.
You've been useing the telescope again!

Gardening: Old khaki's (with cuffs removed)
Throwing* pots: Huntsman smoking jacket
Beating the help: Leather ... black with steel studs

* Although ... we refer to that kind of smoking as "hybrid tomatoes." Well, that's what my gardner calls them when he updates me on the current crop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads