• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

7 spending tips from Frugal Billionaires

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Ka-shing Sir Li Ka-shing, GBM, KBE, JP He is the richest person of East Asian descent in the world and the fourteenth richest man in the world with an estimated wealth of US$16.2 billion on 13 February 2009. "...In spite of his wealth, Li has cultivated a reputation for leading a no-frills lifestyle, and is known to wear simple black dress shoes and an inexpensive Seiko wristwatch, ..." when you're that rich, you just don't give a
foo.gif
anymore

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
IIRC most of the BMWs sold in Europe are 320D. It's basically an economy company car. The pricing is set so it gets a full tax write off. It uses almost no fuel (The latest version is almost 70mpg combined. Even higher highway) If you keep it the normal 1 to 2 years it's only a couple of oil changes at most for service. The trade in value is fairly high.

So it's a pretty simple buy for the company accountants. Audi makes a similar car. So does Mercedes.

Which is all nice but he was discussing American millionaires.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
I could have tons and tons of money and most of my dress clothes would still be OTR RLBL/Zegna Trofeo/C&J.

Also, if I were to fly private I'd charter not buy, I'd have two cars; one to drive myself (S5) and one for when I didn't want to drive (Towncar + driver), I'd have my condo in NY, my condo in SF and rent short term anywhere else (vacations, short or extended) and I'd find it really hard to do really crazy things like go out and order $5,000 bottles of wine. I'd also usually be seen in a stainless watch, though as a watch geek I'd probably have an awesome collection in my safe.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
The only thing that makes me envious of the people that can afford it, is a driver.

Amen! If there's one thing I don't understand it's DUIs of the rich and famous. I would looooooove to just give up having to drive myself regardless of whether I'm drinking or not. I guess I also envy the ability to pay MSRP for something I really want that's out of my price range (like $2k OTR suits).

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
If you're driving coupes and convertibles, you're not going to be using a driver.
Couldn't the driver also be a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model? Oh, right.
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
The only thing that makes me envious of the people that can afford it, is a driver.

Really? I thought you were into cars, i.e., like to drive?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Really? I thought you were into cars, i.e., like to drive?

I like the mechanical aspect mostly, I drove my car almost every trick down the track, but I actually preferred when I had a friend drive my car. One of my good friends (since passed away) Adam Landolfi was an excellent driver, he did a much better job of driving than I could. But he often mentioned to me that he had never driven a more refined race car than my own.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
If you're driving coupes and convertibles, you're not going to be using a driver.

Yes, but there may be times you prefer to have a car available to you. I'm thinking you live in NYC/Boston/DC/other big city, and want to get away for the weekend where it might make sense to have your own wheels. For regular around-town motoring, I'd rather leave that to the pros.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driver = waste. Buy one of these bad boys (though you of course needn't be a billionaire)...

big_audi_r8_tdi_le_mans_01.jpg

Sartorial1

Reaction score
But,
pick up your R8 used,
a couple of years old,
at half price!

That's how I got mine,
It's gorgeous.
But,
I just couldn't bring myself to pay the retail/new price.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorial1
But,
pick up your R8 used,
a couple of years old,
at half price!

That's how I got mine,
It's gorgeous.
But,
I just couldn't bring myself to pay the retail/new price.

Really? Car's only been out for three years. Kudos for finding one half off...they don't even sell on eBay for less than the $90,000s. Sheesh...

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Half is stretching.
Was in the high $80s.
With tax, license, etc: $90s.
But I've seen some new ones listed pushing $180K

Mine: First year model,
but low miles (just for show).
Difficult economic times?

Didn't consider eBay as a possibility.
Really wanted to see, feel, drive & inspect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads