• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

7 spending tips from Frugal Billionaires

Holstein Bilter

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
438
Reaction score
2
http://financialedge.investopedia.co...lionaires.aspx

3. Buy Your Clothes off the Rack
While some people, regardless of their net value, place a huge emphasis on wearing designer clothes and shoes, some frugal billionaires decide it's simply not worth the effort, or expense. You can find David Cheriton, the Stanford professor who matched Google founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page to the venture capitalists at Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield & Byers (resulting in a large reward of Google stock), wearing jeans and a t-shirt.
Ingvar Kamprad, the founder of the furniture company Ikea, avoids wearing suits, and John Caudwell, mobile phone mogul, buys his clothes off the rack instead of spending his wealth on designer clothes.

===========================================

Thoughts?
 

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,828
Reaction score
32
Uh, here is a hint: They did not become billionaires because they wore t-shirts to work.
 

intent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2009
Messages
4,393
Reaction score
5
I thought most designer=RTW/OTR.
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,862
Even the most expensive clothes are an insignificant expense for guys like that. So they don't buy custom suits. OK, but do they have planes, seven houses that cost eight figures each? A domestic staff of 30?

The idea that this is some sign of virtue or wisdom on their part is frivilous. Those of us on SF spend on clothes because we enjoy it. If I had the money to spend on a really nice boat I might do that. I don't. The fact that some zillionaire has the boat but no suits really says nothing about his prudence, only about his taste and priorities.
 

Holstein Bilter

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
438
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Manton
Even the most expensive clothes are an insignificant expense for guys like that. So they don't buy custom suits. OK, but do they have planes, seven houses that cost eight figures each? A domestic staff of 30?

The idea that this is some sign of virtue or wisdom on their part is frivilous. Those of us on SF spend on clothes because we enjoy it. If I had the money to spend on a really nice boat I might do that. I don't. The fact that some zillionaire has the boat but no suits really says nothing about his prudence, only about his taste and priorities.




6. Skip Luxury Items
It may surprise some of us, but the world's wealthiest person, Carlos Slim (the one who could spend more than a thousand dollars a minute and not run out of money for one hundred years) does not own a yacht or a plane. (Reducing the amount you spend is the easiest way to make your money grow. For more information, read 5 Money-Saving Shopping Tips.)
Many other billionaires have chosen to skip these luxury items. Warren Buffet also avoids these lavish material items, stating "Most toys are just a pain in the neck."
 

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,828
Reaction score
32
Holstein, you sound like a pretty dumb guy.
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,862
Originally Posted by Holstein Bilter
6. Skip Luxury Items
It may surprise some of us, but the world's wealthiest person, Carlos Slim (the one who could spend more than a thousand dollars a minute and not run out of money for one hundred years) does not own a yacht or a plane. (Reducing the amount you spend is the easiest way to make your money grow. For more information, read 5 Money-Saving Shopping Tips.)
Many other billionaires have chosen to skip these luxury items. Warren Buffet also avoids these lavish material items, stating "Most toys are just a pain in the neck."


What is your point? Buffet has a plane, FYI. The idea that all these guys are monks is a joke.

Time to DT this threak.
 

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2004
Messages
2,121
Reaction score
5
Not a surprise. On a related note the cat that wrote The Millionaire Next Door reports that the average millionaire's car costs about $31,000 while the average deca-millionaire's car costs $38,000. That means all them BMWs and Benzes...people likely pretending to be rich.

So it's not a leap to imagine the average millionaire and billionaire doesn't spend a lot of money on clothes.
 

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,828
Reaction score
32
Originally Posted by gorgekko
Not a surprise. On a related note the cat that wrote The Millionaire Next Door reports that the average millionaire's car costs about $31,000 while the average deca-millionaire's car costs $38,000. That means all them BMWs and Benzes...people likely pretending to be rich.

So it's not a leap to imagine the average millionaire and billionaire doesn't spend a lot of money on clothes.


That's because American billionaires suck. Look to Russia for examples of how the wealthy should live their lives.
 

Holstein Bilter

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
438
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Holstein, you sound like a pretty dumb guy.
A dumb guy for not commenting? All I did was post the article and let everyone else comment.
 

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2010
Messages
3,140
Reaction score
194
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
That's because American billionaires suck. Look to Russia for examples of how the wealthy should live their lives.


"It's post-Cold War Russia. Everyone's driving one of these!"
"Holy shit! A Ferrari!"
 

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
9,027
Reaction score
654
WTF is the point of being stupidly rich if you have to live frugally?

BILLIONNAIRE FAIL.
 

Holstein Bilter

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
438
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by TRINI
WTF is the point of being stupidly rich if you have to live frugally?

BILLIONNAIRE FAIL.



+1 on this one.

What's the point of having it, if you're not going to enjoy it, or help someone else w/it?

There. THat's my comment. Stupid me.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,462
Messages
9,448,879
Members
198,024
Latest member
2giannae3822eb0
Top