• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

7 spending tips from Frugal Billionaires

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Page and Brin saved enough between them buying off the rack to buy three planes? And Tom Perkins did the same to buy a yacht? Awesome advice. I'd like to own an Auto Union someday...but I don't think wearing an Alfani t-shirt from the Macy's clearance rack for the next 40 years will get me there.

Allen

Reaction score
I was thinking... billionaires must be pretty busy. Maybe they just don't have time to spend on bespoke shirts.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, if they wanted to they could buy time. I know if I was a billionaire I wouldn't be very busy at all. Quite the opposite really.

Allen

Reaction score
By busy I don't mean busy with business, just doin' other stuff... whatever billionaires do :p

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why everyone thinks this article is about "how billionaires became billionaires by saving money"

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Allen
By busy I don't mean busy with business, just doin' other stuff... whatever billionaires do :p

You mean post on SF?

Allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
I'm not sure why everyone thinks this article is about "how billionaires became billionaires by saving money"

This article is not, but the original article was about that. Most people aren't interested in what billionaires have to say unless it's about becoming a billionaire or unless they are very high profile, like Steve Jobs or Oprah.
Originally Posted by mkarim
You mean post on SF?

Myself aside, I do find that many(I'm not saying most because I only have anecdotal evidence) SF users are of above average wealth, but i don't think we have a billionaire among us
smile.gif
)

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Pets are catching up to humans, through the time-tested methods of inheritance and frugality. The world's ten richest pets are as follows:

10. Brownie, cat, $4.1 million
9. Hellcat, cat, $4.1 million
8. Pepe Le Pew, cat, $6.2 million
7. Ani, cat, $6.2 million
6. Frankie, dog, $6.2 million
5. Gigoo, chicken, $10 million
4. Trouble, dog $12 million
3. Tobey Rimes, dog, $92 million
2. Kalu the chimp, $109 million
1. Gunther IV, dog, $372 million

In 1993, Gunther IV and his sire Gunther III inherited $124 million each when their owner, Countess Karlotta Liebenstein died. Through inheritence from Gunther III and clever investment by trustees, Gunther IV's holdings have grown to over $372 million.

Here's Gunther IV...not sure when the photo was taken:

6378.jpg

Note that he is not wearing a suit, being naturally hairy all over like some StyleForvm members.

Kalu the chimp inherited her money from Australian Olympic swimmer Frank O’Neill...her fortune has grown about $29M since she got it, and I bet she is comparatively frugal as well largely going about in the nude.

I feel that Gigoo the chicken should be wary.

- B

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I did read that Gunther buys his kibbels and bits at petco, not the local, organic shop to save money.

You too, can be just like Gunther.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Usually the ones who write about frugal rich people, are not too wealthy themselves and don't really know the true lifestyle of billionaires. They write this to console themselves because it gives the impression that they and other readers can be at the same "level" as those billionaires.
Spending tips given by them is like asking thieves for advice on philanthropy.

Many rich people don't even know how they get so rich. They can tell you things like to think big, be willing to take risk, invest wisely and common sense **** but that ain't gonna make you any better off than the sensible guy next door who doesn't spend more than he can afford to. The billionaires made it big because of luck, an ability to cater for and sell to a large and/ or high barrier to entry (mexican telcos) market, even if this means revolutionizing or creating a new "market category e.g. ipod " as well as an uncanny ability to spot and predict trends including movement in financial markets.

People don't get stinking rich because they save a few dollars here or penny pinch there. Even if Sam Walton had bought a plane back in his day, it doesn't even begin to make a dent in his wealth. It is just his own personal choice to live with less material things in life. It is the same as with other billionaires, I can guarantee they are all leading a lifestyle they are comfortable with, whatever that definition is to them. If you are a billionaire who doesn't like planes, would not owning one make you frugal? Likewise, if you can afford luxuries in life and you really desire them, it would be stupid for people to tell you to be frugal.

Really it just shows where their priorities were while they were amassing their fortunes and building their companies. They just continue to reflect those things after they've become successful. We assume that their drive to become wealthy is so that they can exude materialism, however they prove us wrong.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I did read that Gunther buys his kibbels and bits at petco, not the local, organic shop to save money.

You too, can be just like Gunther.

The best thing about being Gunther IV are all the bitches.

Gigoo, though: that's another story. I'm telling you, I have a bad feeling about that chicken's future.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
So Page and Brin saved enough between them buying off the rack to buy three planes? And Tom Perkins did the same to buy a yacht? Awesome advice. I'd like to own an Auto Union someday...but I don't think wearing an Alfani t-shirt from the Macy's clearance rack for the next 40 years will get me there.

I have a new strategy.

1) Tailor comes to town.
2) Stoically refuse to meet him
3) ???
4) Apartment at 1001 California and 68' boat at the SFYC!!!!!!!!!

CMD.EXE

Reaction score
Vox, your list is missing some pets obviously. You have to realize some of them are low key and avoid that type of publicity. Some of them also acquired their inheritances through shady dealings and don't want that all over page 6 of the daily woof.

Also, that author is incorrect about Slim not having a jet, he has a gulfstream V I've seen at teterboro and I know one of his sons has a BBJ that he also uses.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Clearly you do not consort with the right people.

Lord Bristol was educated at Harrow School, where he began to be known for drug and alcohol use; the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography designates him a "wastrel".[4] The 7th Marquess was described by his friend Jamie Spencer-Churchill, Marquess of Blandford, as a "complicated, reserved character, hiding behind a flamboyant personality".[citation needed]

He was frequently depicted in the British tabloids for his drug use, wild parties and homosexuality. He served two prison terms for drug offences.[5] Bristol even piloted his helicopter "” without radar "” while snorting cocaine off the map he was using for navigation.[1] He claimed to have used over 2000 male prostitutes, whom he referred to as twinkies.[1]. The Marquess blamed some of his difficulties on what he called bad blood, that is, a "family disposition to depression." He inherited a million pounds when he was 16 years old, and another four million five years later.[1] He amassed a personal fortune worth up to £35 million, but by the time of his death at 44, it had "all slipped through his fingers "” every last penny", according to The Times.[5] His estate was probated for £5000.[3]

TKO

boxing[1].gif

boxing[1].gif

boxing[1].gif

boxing[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads