• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

7 spending tips from Frugal Billionaires

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Surely it's not he ... in that setting ... and those clothes?

Dang ... there goes my chance of ending on 3888.

- B

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have bet 1 billion dollars that a certain Billionaire in this thread would have included AE seconds as a frugal tip.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Uh, here is a hint: They did not become billionaires because they wore t-shirts to work.

Exactly!!!

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Vox,you are like a gossip girl, keep dossier and tab on everyone.

Does he have a black book?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
You didn't give away your inheritance?
Mommie specified that she was to be kept alive at all costs ... and she meant it. Fortunately one of us finally pulled the plug ... I mean tripped over the chord.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Mommie specified that she was to be kept alive at all costs ... and she meant it. Fortunately one of us finally pulled the plug ... I mean tripped over the chord.

Momsicle?

- B

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Momsicle?
Popsicle I could have handled.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Popsicle I could have handled.

smile.gif

- B

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The beauty of America is that nobody teaches these poor rich kids what to do with their inheritances, and so they squander the **** out of it and end up less happy than they would have been if they never received a penny. My older sister had a friend at Brown who sued her parents for control of her trust and then spent it in a month. Repeat: in a month, with the help of a boyfriend who broke up with her not long after the honeymoon was over. Fancy that! Poor girl had nothing to show for it except parents that hated her guts and disinherited her from the fortune that awaited her upon their respective deaths. I don't know why, but I get an evil/sick pleasure out of this story. Not so much because of the misery the girl must have felt afterward (which makes me momentarily sad), but moreso because of the humorous side effects of our insanely materialistic, consumer-driven society. It's not like this in Europe, where rich kids know how to behave. American rich kids...always a spectacle.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
The beauty of America is that nobody teaches these poor rich kids what to do with their inheritances, and so they squander the **** out of it and end up less happy than they would have been if they never received a penny. My older sister had a friend at Brown who sued her parents for control of her trust and then spent it in a month. Repeat: in a month, with the help of a boyfriend who broke up with her not long after the honeymoon was over. Fancy that! Poor girl had nothing to show for it except parents that hated her guts and disinherited her from the fortune that awaited her upon their respective deaths. I don't know why, but I get an evil/sick pleasure out of this story. Not so much because of the misery the girl must have felt afterward (which makes me momentarily sad), but moreso because of the humorous side effects of our insanely materialistic, consumer-driven society. It's not like this in Europe, where rich kids know how to behave. American rich kids...always a spectacle.

I cried while reading this long paragraph.

- B

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Americans take the advise of the media in many important life matters, money, investing principles, relationships, marriage, kids, etc. The media manipulates the "advise" it gives to fit its own purpose. In this country, media is King.

Proper education of these matters should begin at home. Only after a solid grounding of these principles can a person "decode" what he/she hears from other sources is in his/her best interests or not. But then again, proper upbringing is (conveniently) discouraged by the media. The media brainwashes Americans into believing that having a brain is a liability.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cried while reading this long paragraph.

- B

I cried while writing it. *insert emoticons clinking beer mugs*

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
better to be brainless and materialistic than a pompous eurofag.

Allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holstein Bilter
http://financialedge.investopedia.co...lionaires.aspx

3. Buy Your Clothes off the Rack
While some people, regardless of their net value, place a huge emphasis on wearing designer clothes and shoes, some frugal billionaires decide it's simply not worth the effort, or expense. You can find David Cheriton, the Stanford professor who matched Google founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page to the venture capitalists at Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield & Byers (resulting in a large reward of Google stock), wearing jeans and a t-shirt.
Ingvar Kamprad, the founder of the furniture company Ikea, avoids wearing suits, and John Caudwell, mobile phone mogul, buys his clothes off the rack instead of spending his wealth on designer clothes.

===========================================

Thoughts?

You know... this is quite old so I'll give you the short version. But everybody knows what Bill Gates could buy: thousands of cars, small countries, the Moon, so on, but perhaps what he need to spend money on most is a new pair of glasses and some hair conditioner.
I am really pissed off by all those articles on the net and in financial magazines about "frugal" billionaires and how they live below their means and so on, but you know what I say? I say that's BS. Why in God's name would I want to have piles of money twice as big as Scrooge McDuck if I live below my means? I mean, I can look under my couch for change and eat peanut butter on bread without being rich.
pffff... frugal billionaires. I think they just want us to think they also have to make savings just so we don't throw tomatoes at them

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

lapo-elkann4.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads