• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$500 suits: Jos A Bank vs Mens Wearhouse vs Indochino

kushburner

Reaction score
What are the main differences in fit and value between these three? My build is 5'9" 145lbs. Id like to add Brooks in there but they are a little over my budget.

Im looking for a timeless charcoal suit (for my build) that I can get for $500.

Last edited:

biged781

Reaction score
for $500 neither Men's Warehouse nor Jos A Bank are worth your time. Suit supply is a good alternative to Indochino if you like. You can also find good deals be on clearance, a nice find at an outlet, or in the B&S forum here or somewhere else. At least SS and Indo are MTM, so there is some flexibility, and from what I hav heard (no first hand experience) the quality is good for the price.

bgoodwi

Reaction score
+1 on suitsupply.

I don't know about Indochino, but jos and men's warehouse are not worth the money.

biged781

Reaction score
Also, re: Indochino, most suits there are pretty fashion forward (slim lapes, very slim fit, etc). That's fine if that's what you're looking for, but not what I would call "timeless" as you say you want.

kushburner

Reaction score
Yea I dont want an extremely slim fit, but I do want a moderately slim fit since that's what fits best on my build. Unfortunately, there isnt a Suit Supply in San Diego and people here have advised against buying suits online. What does MTM mean?

Im not sure what other places I can look at in my area. Do Brooks Brothers 1818 suits ever go on sale for $600?

Last edited:

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers goes on sale quite frequently on their own site and occasionally on sites like Gilt, MyHabit, and Rue La La.

TiberiasUSA

Reaction score
Yea I dont want an extremely slim fit, but I do want a moderately slim fit since that's what fits best on my build. Unfortunately, there isnt a Suit Supply in San Diego and people here have advised against buying suits online. What does MTM mean?

Im not sure what other places I can look at in my area. Do Brooks Brothers 1818 suits ever go on sale for $600?
MTM = Made to measure

5'9: 145 lbs you are going to be on the thin side for sure. Jos a Banks and Men's wearhouse is more of an American cut and will fit baggy

Grenadier

Reaction score
Kent Wang has a charcoal suit for $750 that is very well-made and probably the best deal on the market.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the main differences in fit and value between these three? My build is 5'9" 145lbs. Id like to add Brooks in there but they are a little over my budget.

Im looking for a timeless charcoal suit (for my build) that I can get for $500.
Indochino is a mtm company, so you can't compare it to JAB and TMW. You give them your measurements, and they'll make a suit based on them. It can be hit or miss; if you send the right measurements, then you could end up with a very nice suit. If you send bad measurements, you could end up with an unwearable suit.

I don't think that any of those companies are particularly high on quality. I wouldn't pay $500 for a suit from any of them, but I'd take Indochino from that group. If you add in Brook's Brothers at a DEEP discount, I'd consider that too. At the usual sale prices, I wouldn't pull the trigger.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kent Wang has a charcoal suit for $750 that is very well-made and probably the best deal on the market.
I don't know anything about Kent Wang, but $750 for a rtw doesn't seem like a "deal" by any stretch of the imagination. Is it mtm?

Last edited:

biged781

Reaction score
I don't know anything about Kent Wang, but $750 for a rtw doesn't seem like a "deal" by any stretch of the imagination. Is it mtm?

You wouldn't snatch up a nice RLPL OTR for $750? How about a Brioni or Kiton?

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You wouldn't snatch up a nice RLPL OTR for $750? How about a Brioni or Kiton?
Honestly, I wouldn't. I don't think that OTR is worth it. For the same (or slightly more) money, I could get a much better suit. IMO, once the price gets past a certain point, it's got to be mtm or better.

...one man's opinion.

Grenadier

Reaction score

You can do made-to-measure at Kent Wang for the same price. But given that the original poster asked about Jos. A Banks and Men's Wearhouse, I suspect that the prospect of made-to-measure might be a bit daunting at this point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics