1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

$500 suits: Jos A Bank vs Mens Wearhouse vs Indochino

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kushburner, Apr 20, 2013.

1. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

If you are just looking to start with suits, which I suspect you are since you're talking about a basic charcoal, then jumping into MTM could really be playing with fire. If money isn't an issue then I'd say by all means fly to Savile Row and fire away with bespoke. My best advice is to spend some more time on this board reading about various brands. You aren't the first 5-9, 145 guy to come across style forum and there are plenty of threads out there to learn from. Then go shopping, find what fits, what you like.

2. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

and there are a ton of threads about who to buy internet MTM from and how to do it so you have the best chance of a good result, too. Read those before you jump in.

3. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Most people who post in mtm threads here don't get great results. Then again, people who have nothing to complain about generally don't write online reviews, so the feedback's skewed. I've ordered from a few different online mtm companies, and I've gotten pretty good results the majority of the time.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  4. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

The Kent Wang thread seems to have a fair number of happy people in it (enough so that I've held of on RTW in order to jump into that game..).

5. kushburner

kushburner Senior member

Do you guys advise me against buying an MTM suit? I still havent found a local store that does MTM suits for $500... All of my MTM options are online

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

As long as you get all your measurements taken professionally, shouldn't be too horrible an experience.

1 person likes this.
  7. Stebbin

Stebbin Senior member

The problem with MTM is the first suit you order would probably have a number of issues. There are a lot of measurements such as body type, sleeve pitch and armhole scrye which cannot be easily communicated to tailors with measurements alone. However, as someone who has purchased multiple suits online via MTM, it becomes progressively easier as you have a set of measurements from existing suits that you tweak to achieve a better fit.

1 person likes this.
  8. jm722

jm722 Member

Any interest in eBay or strictly looking for brand new?

I was on a budget too and bought 2 zegna (main line), 1 canali, and 1 hugo boss for around $550 total. There was a 14-day return policy on them too, so at most I would've lost shipping. Just look for reputable sellers. I think the person I bought from had like 28,000+ reviews so I wasn't too worried.

Again, just a thought.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  9. Timeless Fashion

Timeless Fashion Senior member

If OP has an outlet mall close by (Off Fifth, NM Last Call, Nordstrom Rack, etc), I would recommend looking for a suit there for under $500 and then doing some minor alterations for a good fit. You can often find Hickey Freeman fully canvassed for under $500 at outlets.